Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Sofa Cussions replacement

Does anyone know if there is a material we could use to replace the Cussions on the Sofa that came with our new Mountaineer ?
The hard cussion material "foam ?" can be accesed by the zipper on the cussions.
Has anyone tried just replacing the foam material of the cussions instead of the whole couch ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I looked at your profile, but it did not tell me what part of the world you are in. If you are around any metropolitan area, there should be re-upholstering companies who can custom fit foam material for you. There may also be foam suppliers where you could either buy bulk or have them cut to size.

I don't have a clue about cost. I am sure the more you do yourself the less the cost. The key would be making sure you have the right grade of foam. You didn't say why you wanted to replace the cushion material. If it is because of some sort of a spill, you might consider removing the foam and giving it whatever cleaning was required, making sure it was thoroughly dried, and reusing it. Of course if it was contaminated in some way, replacement would be my option also.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Stiles,

The cushions are very uncomfortable (hard as a rock) so we though we would either replace the Sofa or at least the cushion material to make it softer.
There is a zipper on each cushion that would allow changing the foam material.

It looks easy but....
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
In light of your explanation, then I would consider the upholstry folks. They could probably give you an opportunity to try out different grades of foam to see if one might suit your taste. If you have other cushions around the stick house you could tryout on this couch or ones you could borrow for a test, it may tell you something. If it is unsatisfactory no matter what, then.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I would go with stiles suggestion. If you go to an upholsterer, or foam supplier, you should be able to find a grade of foam that is more comfortable and have cushions cut to fit your covers. If the rest of the sofa (back height, firmness of back, etc.) suits you, then replacing the cushion foam seems the more economic and practical way to go.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
You could even try a material store like JoAnn Fabrics...I am sure they can point you in the right direction. I think they also have a list of people who specialize in redoing the cushions.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
I have replaced foam in sofa cushions.
You get foam to replace what you have - if they won't cut it you can with an electric knife (yes what you carve your turkey with) it cuts foam like butter. (use your old cushion for a pattern)
Then take out your old foam and put the new foam in a plastic bag and with a vacuum cleaner suck as much of the air out as you can.
Then stick the bag and foam with the opening of the bag to the back for easier removal "you have to keep the bag closed to keep the air out".
When you have the bag and foam inside the cover let go of the bag so the air can now get in and work the bag out and there you have it.

One note wear some gloves of some sort the inside of the cushions is usually pretty rough and will tear your hands up.
Also foam comes in many different types - soft to hard.

Hope this helps,

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote