Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
Montana_4134

M.O.C. #4134
2980RL jack knife sofa replace

I have a new 05 2980RL. My wife and I love the trailer but wish we had a sleeper sofa instead of a jackknife sofa. Our dealer told us that they weren't allowed to install the sleeper sofa due to it touching the kitchen island when the bed was out.
Has anyone replaced their jack knife sofa with a sleeper sofa and if so, what brand, model and diminsions will fit. Thanks.

Montana_4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think if you find a sleeper sofa, do some measuring opened , closed, and how wide it is, with all those check your opening with your slid in the closed position and see for yourself how close it realy is.

TT2
Old 12-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Our 2004 came with a sleeper sofa and of course you now what happened. We though of exchanging the recliner positions with the sleeper sofa because it would work that way, but we didn't like sitting in it to wathc the TV. Our dealer swapped it out for the jackknife sofa and it works great. If you ever find one that works please let us know.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
We also have a 2005 2980RL but sorry to say have not done anything with the sofa. I did pull the screws up from the floor as the factory pushed it hard against the side wall and it would not recline. I was going to leave it loose but it was just too flimsy. I am not planning on having over night guests so will just leave it be for now. I would be very concerned about getting a hide-a-bed into the trailer.

If I can add another question to yours...has anyone put in a reclining love seat to replace the big heavy chairs in the back? I removed the chairs by myself one day and it was a tight fit, but had to put them back the next week. Talk about heavy.

I do think with a recliner love-seat you could junk the center table and build two small drop leaf tables on the side walls to put a cup of tea or what ever, the lamp looks good on the table but we never use it with the two spots.

Good luck on your change over, if you do it please post your results.

Happy camping...
Dick & Jackie Driver
in cold but sunny Ephrata, WA
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Timing is everything. Don't know if it would have fit, but we just yanked our hidebed sofa out and replaced it with a leather loveseat. Would have gladly given it to you. Once in a while the dogs let us sit on it! It was a struggle getting the sofa out and even worse getting the loveseat in--our kitchen counter is nearly at the door with the bathroom wall on the other side.

A great option, but a bit spendy regarding the reclining loveseat is LazyBoy. The back comes off, making it very easy to get it in or out. They often have sales.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #6
Montana_4134

M.O.C. #4134
Thanks to all. Had hoped someone might have done the footwork for me of looking and measuring, etc. but guess this isn't a problem for most. Three things I hate, getting a hair cut, shoe shopping, and furniture shopping. My wife looks at me with a puzzled look. Me, I'd rather be anywhere other than the mall, preferably camping but it's very cold in New Mexico right now and the Monty is asleep.
Montana_4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
First I swapped the position of my recliners with the sofabed so I could sit in "my" chair and see the TV straight on. I have my priorities!

Next I gave the sofabed to my niece and bought a "click-clack" couch. It's simple, has no arms, is upholstered in two-toned tan microfiber that looks and feels like suede, has storage underneath for guest bedding, and easily flattens out to a full bed without taking up half the living room. Several throw pillows make it homey and comfy. I like the way it looks, feels and operates. And it fits behind the slides without moving. And only cost 300 bucks!! I tried a love seat futon but it wouldn't fit behind the slides and cost over twice that.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, to Trailer Trash 2, wondering were you got the logo, we were thinking of putting "Coach Trash" on the back of ours.
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote