Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Do we trade up?

We have a 2006 F250 super duty with the 6.0 diesel. We have had no problems with the engine. However back in Sept while getting some service work done, we were told there was a coil that needed replacing or we would have problems. It was not related to the engine. (Don't ask we what it was I am clueless about these things). So we had it replaced.

Then Thanksgiving Sunday 425 miles from home we could smell what seemed smelled like antifreeze and then we had no heat. It looked like mud pouring from the radiator. We got the truck back to NJ and back to the dealer. Whatever this coil was they installed in Sept was crimped. Ford said there might be extensive contamination and approved a new engine, radiator, heater core and lots of other stuff I also do not understand. $25,000 cost all under warranty THANK GOODNESS.

My dilemna. The dealer has a 2008 F450 with 12,000 miles. We would prefer to have a dually to pull our Montana. But, we start fulltiming in less then 5 weeks and only owe $8,000 on our truck. The dealer will take it as a tradein, pay off the loan and we get the F450 for $17,000. In effect, we trade up to the F450 for $9,000.

We also have to consider we cost to get a fifth wheel installed in the newer truck. Also, a few months back hubby had installed a $1,500 Ranch Hand bumper and would want another one. Another expense. The current bumper has paid for itself. Two weeks ago going 55 mph a deer ran out in front of us. We got a few deer hairs on the grill, the deer got dead.

I hate going into more debt at this time. What to do. WHAT TO DO!

Thougths? Comments?

Phyllis

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
One thing to consider and investigate is: what was the F450 used for? If it pulled hard for 12,000 miles is the truck worth the risk? Who and how was it serviced? On your 06 you will end up with a new drop in with warranty which should allow you enough time to compare and really identify what you require in a truck. Lots of new ones sitting on lots that are very very negiotiable, especially at this time of the year. If the condition of your truck is excellent, drive it for a while and look around at the new stuff; I am sure it will be money saved in your pocket. These are only thoughts of looking from the outside in. Whatever you do I hope you make out well and end up with a trouble free truck. All the best.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I really think you've answered your own question. Stay with the vehicle you have. You'll be happy in the long run. New trucks always look good, especially when you're having to have repairs done to the one you have. We are presently in the same place. Our '95 is having $1700 worth repairs done. All this on top of $6,000 this summer. We're still happy!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You might look at the weight of the 5er and see where it fits with the 250. I know the 450 is a brute, but would not want one with the 4:88 rear gears. I've had no luck with replacement engines over the years, maybe now days is different. Seems like a good deal to me, but to each his own. My feeling is once a vehicle starts having problems it is time to dump it.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

It sounds like you’ve really had good use from the truck you have. I was told by a diesel mechanic that the 6.0's are good engines and that they got a bad rap. I have had some trouble with ours but then any vehicle can have trouble. Of course the decision is yours. I wish you the best with whatever you decide.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Opinion Only..... Life is short and we should enjoy it while we can. If you can do it without causing financial hardship, in plain words, if you can find a way to afford to do it do it."In effect, we trade up to the F450 for $9,000" this is a good deal and perhaps you can Negotiate further. You can ask Ford to run a "check" It is called " OASIS" report and will give all the information on the 450 from the day it was born to today.

Story Follows.. My Dad was a wise man. Years ago I was struggling on should we buy a new Tow Vehicle. It was a shinny new 3/4 Chevy truck. We had 4 kids at home, Mortgage, all that good stuff. He said..Son... Life is short. If you can swing it....do it.. Enjoy while you can. His philosophy was that you should run out of money and die on the same day. He was upset when in his high 80's he still had plenty of money left and was to old to enjoy it... Don't let that happen son... he told me. Do you need a new truck..a new anything..lets go buy it.. the money is doing me no good.. I did not need anything.. He passed at 93..He still had Money left. My share helped buy the truck and 3400.. I knew he would approve of that. End of story...My vote is...... make every effort to go for it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I agree on the you can't take it with you attitude. I'm not saying spend foolishly - keep a reserve but we've already told the kids that we're gonna spend their inheritence. They said go for it. We spent $100,000 putting them thru college and now they're on their own!
Regards, Jerry and Sandy
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
sounds like a good deal to me.your going up one year getting twice the truck all for 1000.00 .if you can swing it .go for it life is short.have fun while you can the valve of the new truck will be worth more than a truck with a different motor.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We checked out the truck last night. Really loved it. However, we found the $9,000 did NOT include the payoff of $8,000 that we owe on the 250. The original loan was 0% interest. So, in effect if we bought the newer truck we would not only be paying the $17,000 difference in cost but adding on the $8,000 we still owe, thereby paying interest on what is now interest free. We can pay off the $8,000 at any time but have not because it is not costing us anything and is making a little money in the bank.

Hubby is disappointed but agrees this is not the right time.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments.

Phyllis
Old 12-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is a different story. Good decision.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phyllen

We checked out the truck last night. Really loved it. However, we found the $9,000 did NOT include the payoff of $8,000 that we owe on the 250. The original loan was 0% interest. So, in effect if we bought the newer truck we would not only be paying the $17,000 difference in cost but adding on the $8,000 we still owe, thereby paying interest on what is now interest free. We can pay off the $8,000 at any time but have not because it is not costing us anything and is making a little money in the bank.

Hubby is disappointed but agrees this is not the right time.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments.

Phyllis
Smart move!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
You made a good decision. Your old truck will be fresh and you can always buy extra warranty for it with the money you saved.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Good you made the choice, but even $17,000 for an F-450 is a great deal, but for someone who doesn't care about spending money. It ain't me, sounds like it's not you either. When things sound so sweet they are hard to turn down, it's good when that gotcha gives you enough sense to walk away. It the gotcha happens AFTER you pull the trigger then THAT is VERY dibilitating. It sounds like you saved yourselves from some major possible new buyer shock.

If your F-250 is satisfying your needs then consider the value you are making as it continues to provide you pleasure without spending a lot more $$$.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Good decision; those dealers seem to love when a customers when your down and out. This seems to be a typical situation of high powered sales; "I've got the real deal for you today, it just came in and won't last long"! I like to take the time to negotiate.
I am sure your truck will work well. You have two great things on your side; time and warranty to make your decision for your next truck. All the best!!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:26 AM   #15
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
last year my 6.0 blow up in my 03 f250. the new 6.0 installed and dove 150 miles and my oil cooler blew which caused anti freeze/oil mix to pour out of the overflow. they flushed the 6.0 12 times to clean it out, later i lost the water pump all covered under warranty. so if they gave you a new 6.0 you were luckey. the 6.0 you got is made by frankland power a sub of CAT. i talked to the plant manager who in detail told me how great that 6.0 was built,and stated that oil cooler was new but built by ford and they had no control over that however he said the 6.0 they put in my truck is the there is for a 6.0.i have been happy with it so far(8000m)and have been getting 11.4mpg towing. keep the new 6.0.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #16
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
i meant to say" the best they make "
Old 12-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #17
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Ragdoll - Me being the wife, I do not really understand what the original problem was. But it appeared Oil and antifreeze mixed and was everywhere, coming out of the raditor looking like dripping mud. Ford said NOT to flush out the old engine but to install a new one. New engine, radiator, hoses, heater core. Sounds like they realized this is a common problem. We were getting a little over 9 towing. I sure hope with the new engine we, too, come up to 11+ as you are getting. Thanks for the feedback.

Phyllis

Phyllis
Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #18
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
yes you are correct except the oil pressure pushed out of the degas bottle or overflow on the driver side mixed with antifreeze, very foamy. i was told by two dealers this was the correct fix so that is why i said you were lucky they gave you the new 6.0. safe travels.