Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Gulf Shores- Foley, AL

What a super time. Our overnight stop in Carrabelle, FL. turned into four nights because we just couldn't leave. One of the biggest perks of being full timers. Today we trekked on to Gulf Shores, AL and found the place that we had hoped to stay not being able to accommodate us for the whole week so we went a few miles north to a brand new campground. The God's were smiling on us because as we pulled into the entrance we saw a closed sign on the door and just a short time later there was a woman coming out of her Montana toward us. Seems that her parents just opened this campground and she and her DH are running it. What a place. Long cement pads, wide spaces, free super fast INTERNET and just about anything else you could ask for.

Now here is the clincher. These people bought a new Montana last September and had it delivered to the lot here. They opened this wonderful park in October and I see several Montana's here but they have never heard of the MOC before. Well they know now and I do hope they join us. It would be wonderful to hear of their experiences. I forgot to get their names though so if you see new MOC'ers from Foley, AL. be sure to give them a big welcome.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glad you arrived safely, Bill and Helen. Now you can start indulging in that delicious seafood. And don't forget the friend okra at Lambert. You'll find it just north of the Outlet Malls, but I'm sure you wouldn't dare venture up there! Have fun! Wish we were in Alabama to visit you guys. Seems that our friends are all showing up in Foley and Gulf Shores when we're not home! Whassup???
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We stayed in Gulf State Park, but we drove up to look at the place you stayed when it was very new I think it is called Magnolia Campground. The owner also runs a Mexican restraunt in Foley. It looked liked it would be nice place, although when we saw it it was not quite finished. Enjoy GS, it should be hopping at this time of the year.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
This place is called Anchors Aweigh and is about 1/4 mile from Lamberts and all the shops. I just know I'll find a Starbucks somewhere around to start out the day. Judy, I can't wait to get some of that seafood. I do love the Crawfish that one local fish market sells but I think I will pass on the Okra this time. For some reason, it doesn't like me.

The area is really hopping with all the spring breakers out and all the rest of us "on the move." They have done a wonderful job of fixing up since the disasters. I can't figure out why New Orleans is so far behind.

Helen
Old 03-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think Gulf Shores was in a big hurry to reconstruct those big hotels that took the majority of the hit there. Tourism is the major money making venue so they couldn't let them sit idle. As bad as the damage was, it didn't match N.O.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

This place is called Anchors Aweigh and is about 1/4 mile from Lamberts and all the shops. I just know I'll find a Starbucks somewhere around to start out the day. Judy, I can't wait to get some of that seafood. I do love the Crawfish that one local fish market sells but I think I will pass on the Okra this time. For some reason, it doesn't like me.

The area is really hopping with all the spring breakers out and all the rest of us "on the move." They have done a wonderful job of fixing up since the disasters. I can't figure out why New Orleans is so far behind.

Helen
We just left GS on Saturday...the Starbucks is in the outlet mall. We did not stay at Anchors Away, but did check it out for future visits. It is obviously made for the newer RV, the streets and corners are huge, plenty of room to maneuver.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Sorry we missed you Bert and Betty. It would have been nice to see you.
I poked my head out of the door this morning and could smell the Starbucks. It didn't take us long to get there. Yes, these sights are a Big Rig's dream.

Helen
Old 03-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We are coming into Mobile to the fairgrounds on Wed. We are having a retiree rally for a week. Staying here at oak mountain state park at Biringham. Where are the good fish houses in Mobile.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #9
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Helen and Bill, glad you found a nice place to park. We are at Island Retreat in Gulf Shores, and so will have to check out Anchors Away. How long are you going to be in the area? Lambert's is great, als you might want to try Desoto's Seafood down towards the beach. Follow 59 through Gulf Shores, when you get to the intersection at the beach, hang a right and go about a block and you will see a two story big blue building about a block off the main beach drag with the DeSoto Seafood sign.

barb and bob (520) 591-6958
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:34 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be in Mobile for a FCRV Campvention March 19-25.. Think we will take a run to Gulf Shores after the Rally..Sounds good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ronstan..The rally is March 20th /25 with the early day listed, on our paperwork as the 19th. When you say you will be there Wed do you mean Wed the 14th. Can you check in at the fairgrounds that early. We were planning on being there for the early day the 19th but can be there earlier IF we can stay at the fair grounds????.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
There's also a great little lunch counter type restaurant one block north of the beach road on the west side of 59, on the NW corner. It's paper plates and paper towels but the food on its limited menu is awesome. Wish I could remember the name......
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Wow. Where are we going to put all this food? We met some classmates of ours from the Escapees forum at Lamberts. What a fun place. Bill had a hamburger and I had the ham and we figured out that we brought home enough food for the next four meals. Quite a gimmick they have going. Next on our agenda is Lulu's. Lulu is the sister to Jimmy Buffet and anything that has to do with Jimmy we love already. We also have had some great reviews from there.

Bob and Barb, we will be calling you soon. Island Retreat was our first choice. That is where we stayed last time and liked it but they only had 5 days for us and we will be here til Sunday. We are really happy with Anchors Aweigh. After all we have a Starbucks, a mall, Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart less than a mile away. Diesel for $2.49 a gallon and Target is just a short hop the other direction. And that is even before we talk about the food.

Helen
Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Rich We are going to the Excutive Board Meeting We are on the national advisory committee. So we can go in early.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Helen and Bill ... you're going to LOVE LuLu's. Don't forget to stop in the Gift Shack ... I got a great pink ballcap when we were there. Oh yeah ... the food was terrific too!

Have a great time in Gulf Shores ... we've decided we'll be going back at some point ...

Oh ... and Harmon and Ruth said they had a great meal at a little diner right next to WalMart. I can't remember the name of the place, but they mentioned a couple of times how good the food had been.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:30 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Gees Vicki,

One more place we have to eat. I think we will have to extend our stay just to try all these places.

Now if you can just tell us the best places for ice cream.

Helen
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 AM   #17
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Try Scoops, on Gulf Shores Parkway (the main drag), it's the only place we tried but it was good and has outdoor seating.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thank you Ron..Robert and Karen Snodgrass of our local group are also on the board and will be at the meeting. We should be in the area the 18th and will be there for the early day the 19th.I should have rememberd that you are on the board but I am getting old and feeble minded.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 AM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ice cream? Well, I knew that answer would be a no-brainer for some folks! Enjoy the area, Bill and Helen. It's one of Alabamas best kept secrets. A really nice area.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #20
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
thanks for the info on the new park Helen, We will be planning a visit down that way and glad you and Bill are enjoying yourselves! and yeppers, there are many "perks" to fulltiming with no stick house! no gutters to clean, no yards to mow no painting to do no property taxes, just travel around the country enjoying.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote