Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Huge screws in the top of the TV

I know it has been posted about the tv being held in place by a screw through the top. Well I just checked our 3400 and sure enough a big ole ugly screw can be seen drilled through the top of the TV..Now why in the world would anyone drill a metal screw into the top of a piece of Electronic equipment..that contains ...electricity//I've got it those old world craftsman, being Amish, don't know about electricity??? because no one else in their right mind would do such a thing/// anyhow we can't have that..so how in the world do you get the Tv out of the cabinet without the use of a Ax and crowbar. I will bet I can find a better way to secure the TV????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
They put them in that way, in a lot of the coaches, ditto for the stereo. Not sure why they do it.

We put our new TV (living room one) in the same way, carefully, watching where those screws went.

He attached TV in the bedroom with a L bracket (Al tells me that the correct name for this hardware is a corner brace), and screws, again, into the TV top.

The alternative might be straps that you have to put on each trip (some rigs come that way), or the TV holding things you can buy at dealers and CW. They are short, not long straps. We had a set, Al looked at them, and ended up taking them back, that was 3 years ago almost now, so I don't remember much about them.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
It is also secured at the bottom. You have to take the fireplace out to get to the bottom ones. Our screw at the top is hardly noticeable and as long as it holds the television in place we will let well enough alone.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
I read somewhere that their screws had broken off and the TV was all over the floor when they stoped at a road side park. We had to take ours out because none of the cables was hooked up to the TV. It was not easy to do very heavy and tore that paper stuff on the cabinet.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Linda,

Our screws broke, I 94 around Battle Creek Michigan did us in. And, all that violent back and forth porpoise movement.

We were lucky we were home before we knew we had a problem, were out in Tana getting something and leaned up against the TV (not sure why, just good luck I guess). It MOVED!!! Only at the top. Al took the TV out, found one screw sheared off, and if I remember correctly, the other never was really in the TV, they missed, something, whatever! He put 2 new screws in, and it stayed put till it blew up on the way to Texas, just after it went out of warranty. SIGH

He took it out again, found a blown fuse, replaced fuse, plugged in TV and POWWWW, it blew right away, lit up the entire coach and gave us a good popping noise. He then took it to a repair shop, where they pronounced the TV DOA.

This is when we purchased a flat screen, smaller TV, he put a shelf over it, put the DVD player on the shelf and screwed it all back together, including putting holes in the brand new TV plastic case. So far so good, and we like the way it looks and the fact that we don't have to have the door open to run the DVD (it had been in the cabinet over the TV and the remote would not work with doors closed).

And, the paper stuff on the shelf where the TV stands, looks crummy, just like you say, has dents in it from the larger TV, the only part of the entire job with the new TV and the shelf and DVD that we are not happy with.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
You can get at the top screw in the TV by removing the plug in the bottom of the stereo cabinet on top of the TV. As stated above you need to remove the fireplace to get at the screws in the bottom. I've had the fireplace out and its not too hard to do....you have to remove the four wooded plugs on the side of the fireplace and then you will see the screws to remove the fireplace.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is surrounding the tv picture tube and I have seen them near the top of the tube a degaussing coil.It is used to demagnetize the picture tube..your PC monitor has one also..It would not be a good thing to have a big ole screw into or near that coil.That is one reason the TV manufacturer does not drill big ole screws into the top of their Tv's/// Steves thanks for the info..we do not have the fireplace so that should make it a bit easier.

OK went out and looked at the Tv installation closely..Hummmm.In my previous life as a Electronic technician with the FAA we would note, from time to time design features that did not make any sense at all like a critical adjustment so placed that your arm had to bend between your elbow and wrist to reach and make the adjustment. These design features we knew came from the "office of diabolical engineering" I am convinced that Rv manufactures have a very large
"office of diabolical engineering" staff.....
Old 05-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, gotta watch where you put those screws. When we took out our OEM TV we noted that there is a LOT of air space up at the top. We took the back of the TV off, the screws were really not coming anywhere near the electronics or tubes or wiring or anything. When we put the new TV in, we did the same thing, took the back off, studied the layout of the interior goodies and put the screws in places that were not gonna interfere.

I believe they use screws so that we can have that nice clean built in look. Bet there are lots of better ways to do it, be sure to let us know what you come up with Rich. We are always looking to learn something.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #9
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Our TV is on a sliding tray. You can pull it out and rotate it side to side for the best viewing angle. Wonder why they quit that. Anybody wants a Montana and a low mileage (17,000 miles) tow truck, let me know, it's for sale.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
c5racer,

Wonder if that is an upgrade for the Big Sky.

Just curious, why are you selling a great rig like that??
Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
c5racer,

Why are you selling your trailer and tv?

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We did the same when we replaced the bedroom tv...we just watched very carefully where we put the screws...the contact paper does get messed up. We stopped in at our dealer and they gave us a big roll..so now I have extra in case we need it again.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #13
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
DW likes her new house so much that she don't want to leave. Went to Arizona for a couple months last winter and all I heard was, "When we going home". Think we'll go back to a Corvette, not as much work to wash and wax, although it will cost more than the Montana did. My last Corvette would get 28 MPG driving 80 MPH, so the fuel bill will go down. The 2006 300C Hemi will only get 22.5 MPG at 80.
Guess I better get it advertised for sale. We only had our class A for one year, so it's time for a change.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #14
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Our top screw pierced the degaussing coil and we had to have it replaced in the RGV this year. Bob was very careful when he reinstalled the unit.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #15
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I am very interested in more detail on removing the dowel pins on the fireplace to gain access to the fireplace and then to the screw holding the tv.

How is it that you remove the wooden pins without damage?

Just took receipt of our new 3400!

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 AM   #16
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I know it has been posted about the tv being held in place by a screw through the top. Well I just checked our 3400 and sure enough a big ole ugly screw can be seen drilled through the top of the TV..Now why in the world would anyone drill a metal screw into the top of a piece of Electronic equipment..that contains ...electricity//I've got it those old world craftsman, being Amish, don't know about electricity??? because no one else in their right mind would do such a thing/// anyhow we can't have that..so how in the world do you get the Tv out of the cabinet without the use of a Ax and crowbar. I will bet I can find a better way to secure the TV????
Simple explaination is this is a hack job.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:49 AM   #17
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
richfaa, It's a good thing you are retired so you have time to completely disassemble that new RV to find what's wrong with it - Once a QA guy always a QA guy!! You remind me of my wife's brother. At Christmas I try to find him something mechanical because I know he'll have it taken apart before the days over and so he'll leave my presents alone. Have fun and keep the reports coming !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:34 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Larry..You are right. When a new electronic system would come in the first thing the tech's would do is take it apart to see how it was put together and improve on it. I am having fun with the 3400 and actually considering how fast these things are built they do a really good job.And you are right about the QA guy..I just can't help it. You , doing what you do, know exactly what I mean.