Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
Power vent fan with rain sensor sticks

We are hoping someone has some ideas for this problem. Our power vent fan sticks shut and it takes a trip up on the roof to get it loosened. Someone suggested vaseline, but that does not help. The weather has no bearing on it - it can be in cold or very warm weather. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
pilk, A lot of us had that problem if you will call This number they will send you a new and better one for free. I tried the vaseline and it did help but was a mess when I replaced it.

Fan-tastic Fan
Business Information:
Phone: 1-800-521-0298

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ours also stuck this year and I went to the local RV repair shop and found out that Fantastic will replace them for free. They even paid for the installation. Ours actually broke at the motor connection to the roof cover. I released the pressure on the final pull down by taking the manual crank, pull it down and back it off so it doesn't close so tightly. That eliminated any more busted roof covers and it does not stick anymore.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
If you do a search I posted the phone number to the Fantastic Vent Co. let them know of your problem and they will send you a new seal and some 303 lubricant to cure the problem, they are great people to work with and stand behind thier product 100%, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I found the number for you it is 1 800 521-0298 hope this helps, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The gasket is certainly one cause of sticking fan lids; but in our case, it was just that the caulking around the fan was a little too generous, and the edge of the lid was getting stuck in the caulk material. I cut a little of the surplus caulk away, and that took care of that problem.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
We have two Fantastic Fans and both stick. The dealer said they stick because they're new and will loosen up with use.

This is fantastic information; I'll call the manufacture tomorrow.

It’s amazing how much more knowledgeable folks on this forum are than the dealers appear to be.

Thanks for the tip

Ed
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894

We had the same problem with our Fantastic Fans. The company said it was a problem with the adhesive they used to secure the rubber gaskets and caused to rubber to get sticky.

They sent out new rubber and a tube of adhesive to fix both our fans. We were instructed to remove the old rubber, clean the rim around the fan with rubbing alcohol, apply the adhesive to the inside of the new gasket and then attach to the rim of the fan.

It worked GREAT!! Now that's what I call customer service and we're happy campers over this fix.

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
Thank you everyone for your great responses - we are thrilled that maybe this won't be a major issue afterall. What a great site this is. Fulltiming is soon in our future and Connie will definitely be checking posts from all the fulltimers - wanting to find out how you pick up and leave all your precious stuff"!!!

Thanks again!
pilk is offline   Reply With Quote