Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
and i'm fussy

checked our new 3465sa out over the weekend (both days)
i have to admit i was very pleased with MOST everything i checked out.
first we checked all major things

ac, heater, refrigerator, freezer, stove, oven, water pump, vents/fans,awning, windows, fireplace, tv's, toilet, shower, microwave, hot water heater, lights, ceiling fan, all electrical wires, hydraulic lines, propane lines, water lines, all holding tanks and dump valves. all systems checked on gas and electric.
i think that covers the big stuff.

then the small stuff

loose nuts, bolts and screws, shades, cabinet doors, hinges, moldings, carpet, furniture, screens, decals, caulking, and seals.

now, after all that the biggest thing wrong was loose or stripped nuts bolts and screws. also screws screwed into nothing. the next thing was uneven shades . also remounted the water pump now it's quiet. while i was in the area connected the duct work to the heater so it will stay fastened and taped all flanges and fittings better.
then wire tied a lot of stuff.

some observations
all the areas that i was in, cabinets, behind drawers, behind the wall in the basement. all were very clean no junk left behind!
the fit on most things was very good.
on the other hand, a scratched (bad) microwave and stove hood (on order) this i don't get, cabinet doors with the pulls at the bottom and the catch at the top. won't be long the door will be falling apart from being twisted when opening. the shades, WOW!!!!!! can't even talk about it.

to everybody who is able, do yourself a favor and check it all out, you will sleep better. i now know my Monty. i hope were friends.

I'm glad i bought a MONTANA!!!!!!!

ps: prewired for generator, can't figure it out. guess i missed that on our pdi walk around. help

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
it came "prewired for a generator" on our walk around the guy told me about it while standing at the front storage compartment. i expected to find a hookup for it there. how does it hook to the trailer?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Swanny, Look behind the batteries in the front storage area and you will find a 4 sq box with a blank cover and a #10 wire (orange). There are also a couple of smaller wires in the box and I have never found where they go. The other end of the #10 wire is under the bathroom area behind the access panel also in a 4 sq electric box. That is all there is to the generator prewire.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My generator PREP which may be a step higher than prewire has a electric transfer switch and the remote control for the generator.
Best of luck with the new unit.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
HEY, what's a few loose nuts?? Afterall don't most human's all have a few loose nuts and a few of us even have some loose screws. Why would a Monty be any different condidering they are built by some of these same HUMANS?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
your exactly right Glenn. heck my wife even tells me sometimes i have a screw loose. but don't get me wrong i am impressed with what i found and didn't find. it's all good
Old 11-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I found what appears to be gennie control wiring behind the bedroom TV. It's a flat multiconductor cable, maybe five conductors (a screw just fell out of my head)?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
KathyandDave, I found the same wire and was wondering what it was. Is it a gen control wire? Does anyone know?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sounds like the right kind of wire, but it seems unusual that they just ran in the wire and not the switch. When our came with the prep, it actually had the switch installed in the closet, the wire running down behind the TV ending in the front cabinet with a pin connector that plugs into the genny.

Now you folks with an 08 and 09 also have a sensor for the front AC that gets mounted by the closet door. Could that be the wire? (would run back to thermostat in living room).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Brad,
The ribbon wire just dead ends in the cabinet. I haven't looked for the other end of the wire yet, but I'll do that this weekend. The sensor that you refered to, is that the small white thing mounted on the top right corner of the closet? I'll have to trace that out. In any event, The ribbon cable isn't connected to it. I'm going to have to spent some time tracing wires this weekend ( working for a living really interferes with life).
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Ditto on Jim's response.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
If you already have the white thing (looks like a little smoke detector) then thats the sensor. I would guess the other is truly your genny start cable. Maybe they just run it in standard now.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well swanny you have the best unit as nailbender and I have the same unit , I added a lot of shelves in the basement and the also added shelves in the kit cab as they are too tall ,,, I also added a coffee bar to the angle cab in the hall by the bath as in the top unit i took out the center shelf as they are not glued in but put in with sq #2 headed screws but a very long bit and moved it up to store bottel water on the top shelf and coffee , then added a plug from the circut box from the w/d circut into the cab , now the coffee pot stays put all the time , i put the toaster on the shelf below that , works great I also put a piece of 1/8 ply on the slide out draw over the desk so stuff dosen't fall out when traveling, over the curb side gas tank i cut a hole in the sheet metal and put 2 angle irons to slide in my ladded that folds to a 4" x 4" that arman says he is going to add also the coffee bar and the ply on the slide out over the desk , we will see sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I have a few issues with my 08 3585SA we purchased in Sep. The saftey backing on all the glass doors will be replaced in Feb (the backing is bubbling up) and the fresh water fill hose that leads to the tank has come off where you open the door to the fill. Other than that, a real awesome unit.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I am glad to hear that you are overall pleased with your new Monty! You'll continue to find little bits and pieces that need tweeking and tuning as you go along, but I'd imagine you'll continue to be pleased.

One of our big issues has been with the window shades. The rear window and the one by the dining table (and the two largest window shades) have suffered from "falling" after I have raised each part of the shade (night and day) and then sliding off to one side. Turns out that the end caps on the metal "handles" have a tendancy to pop off and then allows the fabric to slide out the end and causes the sliding to one side. As we took Bella in last week for warranty work last week the service representative told me that this was a common problem with day/night shades (and I would imagine it would be more so for the larger shades due to the fact a "small" movement that occurs on one side would become "big" at the other side) and that a bit of hot glue affixed to the end caps before reinstalling them will prevent that from happening. They will have to replace both these shades as the fabric tore on the metal ends of the handles. I will make sure to take my cordless glue gun with me to reinforce the end caps if the dealership doesn't do it.

SO, a precautionary tale that you might be able to preclude!

Oh, the other problem is with some of the shades being a real bear to get to even move up or down...that, apparently, is a tension adjustment issue that they will also take care of for us!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Robin,

Let me know how the hot glue works, I tried it and it did work for a number of months, then one day, just popped right off.

Some MOCers have had good luck with a small screw in the ends of the caps.

IIRC, seems to me a few were even brave enough to use some super glue on those end caps. That'll hold em!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #17
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
my back shade was very uneven. had no idea how to fix it but i jumped right in anyway. after about an hour and no improvement i stood back and just stared at the window. (no that didn't work either LOL. but i could see the shade was off center to the window by about 2". so as the shade went down to the bottom the cord on the one side had a lot more tension on it causing the shade to become uneven. repositioned the cord anchor on the wall and it works fine and looks good too
Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Kevin,
Maybe if you had stared harder it would have worked! It is very disconcerting when you make a point to push/pull the blind from the center, one layer at a time and have it go "catywompas" (Don't know if this is a "real" word, but its pretty descriptive...IF it is a real word gosh only knows if I came close to spelling it right!)...I have the additional challenge of having a "crooked" leveling eye so even if a spirit level says something is level I frequently see it as being out of level. Doug just laughs or raises one eyebrow when I tell him that the level must be crooked!

I hope they do make the tension adjustments on the blinds for me as I have these visions of the a pooled up blind on the floor and me holding a string in my hand "a la" cartoon!

Carol,

I will give you feedback once I've applied it and used it a while. There is also Goop adhesives which are formulated for different types of gluing (e.g., glass-to-glass) that might be effective...OR maybe Gorilla Glue. We'll see. I imagine that reapplications of the glue will be necessary regardless as the blinds will be continually "worked" and that causes for movement.

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote