Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
RGV 'Skeeters'

Here is some info on the current Blood sucking monsters;
Re: mosquitoes! OR blood sucking Pelicans?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have a partial answer to the problem. I just saw the fogger go by, so yes he is spraying tonight. I know that the speed limit in front of my house is 30 mph, however, just a thought...more dead bugs if ye drive 5 mph, not 30. I know the town takes time at 5 mph, but whatsa matter?? Hot date ?

Er I mean, thank you oh city for spraying.

Also please note at this time I am not answering the tourist on other thread who wants to know if it is safe to come here...and to be outside wearing anything other than plate male armor.

Er I mean, thank you oh city for spraying

I guess as long as they are all dead before Music fest comes this fall, featuring Willie Nelson.....As I really want to see Willie and the Red Cross advises I not go outside after dark anymore. I have needed 2 transfusions in last 3 days.

Er I mean, thank you oh city for spraying

RayDean
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by RayDean
Add RayDean to Your Buddy List

08-01-2008, #20
SouthPadreLive

South Padre Area Re: mosquitoes! OR blood sucking Pelicans?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLLEGE STATION - Heavy rains and flooding from Hurricane Dolly have brought out the mosquitoes and, with them, the need to understand more about their biology and control, said a Texas AgriLife Extension Service expert.
To help educate people in affected areas about mosquitoes and mosquito control, AgriLife Extension has provided fact sheets and other publications to AgriLife Extension offices in Aransas, Bexar, Brooks, Calhoun, Cameron, Hidalgo, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Starr, Victoria and Willacy counties.
"This information is available through the AgriLife Extension agricultural and natural resources agents, family and consumer sciences agents or others at these locations," said Dr. Mark Johnsen, AgriLife Extension medical entomologist with AgriLife Extension's department of agricultural and environmental safety.
"The aftermath of Hurricane Dolly has made South Texas a hotbed for mosquito activity," he said.
There are two waves of mosquito activity which typically follow a flooding event, Johnsen noted.
"The first wave of mosquitoes are flood-water mosquitoes, which include salt marsh and pastureland mosquitoes," he said "These are generally more of an annoyance than a threat to animal or human health but are still possible disease vectors."
Johnsen said the second wave, which typically comes a few weeks later, consists mainly of standing-water mosquitoes which breed in stagnating post-flood water.
The southern house mosquito is the most significant of the standing-water mosquitoes because it has been identified as the "primary vector"for spreading West Nile virus and St. Louis encephalitis, he said.
"A vaccine has been developed to protect horses from West Nile, but there is currently no vaccine for humans," he said. "There is also no (human) vaccine for St. Louis encephalitis, and treatment is limited to addressing the symptoms of these diseases."
Johnsen said the best way for people to protect themselves from mosquitoes after flooding is by applying the "four Ds" of mosquito control - DEET, dusk/dawn, dress and drain.
He suggests using a mosquito repellent, preferably one with DEET; restricting dusk and dawn activity as these are peak times for mosquitoes; dressing in loose-fitting, light-colored, long-sleeve shirts or blouses and long pants; and draining, cleaning or covering all containers that can hold water for more than three days.
Johnsen's new publication "Potential Mosquito Problems after a Hurricane" is available for free download at the Agricultural and Environmental Safety Web site at http://www-aes.tamu.edu . Other free publications available at this Web site include "Mosquito Life Cycle" and "The Best Way to Control Mosquitoes."
Additional information can be found in AgriLife Extension publication E-333, "Mosquito Control Around the Home," available through http://agrilifebookstore.org/ .
-30-

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The reference to two waves of them nasty buggars is one of those

ah ha moments.

Now, I get it!

Thanks Ozz, always learning something here at MOC.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Ozz, I heard the skeeters are so big down there that one holds you down while the other one bites you. Is that true??
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I've seen two 'skeeters pick up a dog by the ears while a third ravishes it. Then they switch.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ain't no skeeter like the Alaska State Birds! Those "suckers" are like B-52's when they come in. You can hear them off in the distance and when they get in range-- it's to late-- only anti-aircraft defense will work!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I don't know what it is about the skeeters in Tx. but boy do they bother me. They are different than the ones we get up here in Ontario. They are big black buggers and do they ever like me. A skeeter bite in Ontario doesn't bother me, no itch, nothing. But in Tx. I swell up like a chigger bite. I think they are worse in Nov. and Apr. and usually start taking Benadryl pills to keep the swelling of skeeters and chiggers down.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Pete, I hope I don't find out, they are around here, but I spray or remove any standing water around the Ozz house. I hope they are gone when we get back down there.
We plan on going to Utah first, may just stay there. I wonder if they have Skeeters in South Utah?????
Old 08-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The Forum is screwed up this morning, it takes forever to load something, forever to post, times out, and when I posted twice, it wouldn't let me delete the second one, then after 4 trys, it worked... Hummm
Skeeters?

Seems to be working now... Oh well.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, Too hot in Southern Utah for skeeters!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz the skeeters got into the computer and got their revenge!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:28 AM   #11
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ozz, Yup were still around, Try mouthwash in a spray bottle. We have been using it where we sit and on our legs and it works great. Dollar bill bottles and spray bottles are good. Saw this in the FMCA book. If it doesn't kill the bugs, at least you smell fresh..
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey! A mouth full of mouthwash and you can spray them as they circle!!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Ozz, I'm sure there are skeeters around here, maybe by the river and lakes. I have yet to see one in the 3 years we have lived here. There are a lot of little bats that fly around at sundown, maybe they control the bug population.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The mouthwash deal works! We use the cheap verson of Listerine and spray it in the air around us when we sit out on the deck here in Omaha and don't have a skeeter come near us! The DW also sprays it on her legs, shoes, and etc when she goes out into tall grass at the farm or on our pasture land on the Platte River bottom and she says she does not get any chiggers either! Haven't tried myself since they normally don't bug me!! Pardon the pun!!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
No Wayne, no!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

There are big skeeters here as well as little skeeters. They come in all sizes since Dolly hit. I am a native Texan, an must say that they have been invaded by the critters. They did have over 8 inches of rain before Dolly hit, so there was water for them to breed in before she came on land. So much water has to drain some where, but water fell where it is supposed to drain, so water is standing.

They are spraying, but not every day, and not every where. They put a number up on the TV stations for you to call if you need someone to spray. They are spraying every other day here at the Fun N Sun every other day at night, but nothing like the spraying that went on at the parks during Katrina.

I am concerned about West Nile Virus and Heartworm for Alex our cat. When you come into your RV you probably allow 3 to 15 skeeters into your RV. They seem to love the grass and pop out of it when you walk in it to get to your RV.

South Padre has fewer skeeters than other areas as the water has drained off and there isn't standing water. They still have lots of them, but not the B 52s in other areas.

I am worried about people that are still wading through standing water to get to there homes.

I think I have about 15 to 20 bites on me...... not going to think about it as I will want to scratch something.

Colleen

PS No spell check done...to late.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Tried the Listerine today and it didn't work. We were in Rio Hondo, which is heavily infected with skitters. I bet Bob had over 100 on him when he was walking through some high grass. I sprayed Off 25% deet all over me and then walked out on the street to get away from the grass. They were still landing on me and a few bite even with the Deet on. I finally had enough and got in the truck and ran the AC for about an hour.

Will try the Listerine again, when the population isn't so thick. Guys we are talking about some major mosquitos here.

Padre and Port Isabel aren't as bad as Rio Hondo, Santa Rosa, Raymondville, Combes etc.

Colleen
Old 08-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

Please continue to be very careful. This sounds awful.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #19
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Carol,

Went to a local vet to get Alex on Revolution for heart worm. They wouldn't give it to me without seeing him. We are booked solid with appointments for the next week.

I tried to explain to the girl that there isn't any blood test, nor treatment for cats. She hands me a sheet from the state showing me that the can not give me heart worm treatment without a prescription. I asked her to call my vet. She then points to another part that says the vet has to see the animal, another vet can't call the scrip in.

I stomp out and call my vet at home. They are sending me stuff in the mail. I don't keep him on anything at home as he never goes outside. You can't open your door without some skitters getting in.

We are trying to protect ourselves as much as possible. Bob has to look at these losses when given them, so we just coat ourselves with Deet.

Colleen
Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

I was not aware that it was state law in Texas to have to see the animal to fill a scrip from another vet, even another vet from Texas.

I know that is a law in the beautiful Commonwealth of Virginia.

If I bring this subject up with my vet here in Michigan, he nearly blows a gasket. He is SOOOO insulted that they will not honor his written prescriptions.

That is why I carry 4 months of dog food with me, not a small thing, mind you, even if they are yorkies, and carry an emergency kit full of meds for them.

And, my vet has also agreed to ship me ANYTHING, including FOOD, no matter where I am in the USA. Shipping for dog food ain't gonna be cheap, I know, but it sure is cheaper than a $45.00 vet bill for this vet to look at my dog and go, well, yes, it is a dog, and ok, I guess it needs scrip dog food. This entire thing is a bunch of bull crapola (sorry if I am offending, and sorry for hijacking this thread)

This really is a sore point for me. I don't know what lobby got this stupid rule/law passed, but, it is wrong!

This is akin to your Doctor giving you a script for lipitor, and the pharmacy in Michigan will fill, but a pharmacy in Missouri will not. I have mentioned this to others several times, here on MOC and among friends. Does not seem to bother anyone but ole Carol................ Whatever.

Keep using the Deet Colleen, and best of luck!