Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
The "Big Guy" survived but the TV has a few scars.

I was comming home from Las Vegas and was in Bakersfield this morning around 8:00am. First of all a young woman cut me off on the freeway, then about 10 minuets later I was pulling up to a stop sign when we heard some very loud noises, which was the transformer on the power pole exploding, then the overhead power lines just dropped on the roof of our pickup and wrapped themselves around our 5th wheel hitch. They were still arching. They melted the rubber around the windshild, and the drivers window, along with a bunch of scratches on the roof and drivers door. We held up traffic for about 1 1/2 hours while we waited for PGE to get there and de-energise the line. The Montana made the morning news. It was quite frightning as we did not dare touch anything metal in the truck. The down lines started a fire in the field across from us also. So I won't forget Bakersfield, CA for a while. We are fine, and the truck will be as soon as I have the paint repaired and the melted rubber replaced.

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Doug and Sharon,
I am so sorry to hear about your experience in Bakersfield. But we told you it was HOT down here!

Sure glad no one got hurt and that your TV and RV weren't hurt any more than they were. Where exactly were you?

I'm surprised you didn't call since you were spending some time in our lovely town. And next time you're down this way try not to start any fires! :-)

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Update!
Just saw the Henrys on the 11 o'clock local news..... Doug you did a great job in your interview. Again sure glad things worked out the way they did. Next time contact me and I'll route you around the Rosedale area..... that's just too busy all the time.

There was a good shot of the Monty. Looking good. By the way... I noticed you walking with a cane of some sort. Hope you didn't get hurt.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
How terribly frightening! Sure glad you weren't hurt. Keystone always appreciates a little advertizing but that's pretty extreme......
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Doug and Sharon: That's no way to treat a 3670. Glad you guys are safe.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:10 AM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
What are the odds? Glad to hear you are OK and no one was hurt in this weird event.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:12 AM   #7
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Amazing, just amazing.The result could have been tragic. Take care.
Dick and Toni
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:33 AM   #8
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Doug;

Glad you are OK. Had to be pretty scarry.

One note. Just make sure to check out all your electronic gear in the TV and Monty to make sure something didn't get fried by the electrical surge.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:00 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
DHenry,

I'm gonna type exactly what slipped out of my mouth as I read your post

HOLY COW!!

Next comment, was: UNREAL!!

Glad you guys are OK, whewie!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:38 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now I wanna tell ya I like excitement in my life but I do believe that's streching it a bit.

Glad you guys a AOK.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 AM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Doug and Sharon: You know, there are less dangerous ways to get on the evening news!

Seriously, thank goodness you are both safe! Electricity can be an extremely frightening force, so I am sure you both had a harrowing experience during this! Be safe around those power poles!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:59 AM   #12
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
So glad to hear that you were not hurt in that bizarre incident. I didn't know Bakersfield was that "exciting"!!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #13
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks to all of you for the kind words. Yes it was a electrifing experience. The CHP and the Fire Department were great at taking care of the situation. The Fire Department station a guy at our vehicle to just talk with us to keep us assured that all was well.

HamRad, Sorry I did not call but our schedule was so iffy that I really did not want to commit to anything and have to cancel. Yes the cane was to help me with my walking. Before all the excitement in Bakersfield,while hooking up the Montana in Las Vegas, my lower back went out, and when it goes out it is extremly painful. I will be going to my Chiropractor today.

wileecoyote985, thanks for the sugguestion of checking my electrical in the Montana. I will do that this afternoon. Everything in the truck is ok and I hope that all will be fine in the Montana.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #14
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Doug & Sharon,

Glad you're both safe and not too much damage to the vehicles. Hope your luck was better in La$ Vega$ too!
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When I say, "Life is an adventure unfolding," it doesn't always mean that it will be a positive adventure. Sometimes an adventure is a trauma to be endured. I am so glad none of you were injured. Stuff can be fixed or replaced. Looking to better adventures....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 AM   #16
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Doug and Sharon, I guess we never know what will happen in life but thank goodness you are both ok. I can't even imagine what I would of done.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Doug and Sharon
Some people will do anything to have the best campfire story!
So glad you are OK. I had to look at the dates because we were in Bakersfield Monday night -Tuesday morning and the lights went out in the hotel we were in Tuesday morning. Check your frig really good. Go though all the cycles. We got hit by lightning several years ago and it fried the circuit board in the frig.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #18
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Parrothead, if the lights went out around 8:00 am Tuesday, then it was probably the same situation that I was involved in. I was hoping to be able to tell a better story than Bob Pasternak but I am still not sure I can top his yet.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, I got home from being out of town and Vicki told me I have to read this post! Then she told me about it. How scary that must have been! I'm sure glad you had the sense to not try to get out of the truck!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #20
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I think a lot of RVers have had some harrowing experiences, we have, but this one has got to be near the top (or bottom, depending on how you look at it). We're awful glad you're OK.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote