Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Bedroom TV interfers with Living Room TV

I have an interesting problem and looking to see if anyone else has ever experienced this problem. With the Monty (new Nov '09) parked next to the stick house, I can get all the local channels on the Living Room TV (32" Samsung) from the antenna, but when I turn-on the Bedroom TV (19" Jensen) I loose several channels on the Living Room TV. I thought at first it was a signal issue, but I just installed an in-line amp to over come the splitting loss between the Stereo and TV but no help. So the next step was to disconnect the antenna to the Bedroom TV and channels are still missing in the living room. So something in the Jensen is causing interference with the Samsung. Thought I would check the knowledge here before contacting Jensen, Samsung, and/or Keystone.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
if your talking hd tv over the antenna.then the channels will come and go for no reason.some times rescaning the channels will bring then back,some times the signal is stronger on one tv and low on the other tv.some times you can gert a channel during the day but not at night or vesa versa.this has happened to me for no good reason,it just does.nothing wrong with the equipment.that is the way hd works over the antenna. hope that helps
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Interesting problem, I have the same issue with our LG, TV monitor combo. Everything works fine when it is on cable but when on the bat wing, the living room TV works good but just turn on the bedroom TV with nothing else connected except the power and living room TV messes up. Sounds like the same issues as you mentioned. I even took the bedroom TV out of the closet where it is installed and tried it laying on the bed and plugged into another outlet, same problem. I then took the bedroom TV into the living area and tried it there and there was no problem with the living room TV. This is a new TV, monitor combo and I am thinking it is putting out some type of interference to mess up the bat wing signal.
I will be watching this thread with interest.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
It may be a bad cable between the bedroom splitter and the living room. That could be a result of a poor or loose connection (you have made sure that the amplifier is turned on in the bedroom, right?).

Does either of your TVs have the ability to show the signal strength? Compare the signal strength at each TV. As Thor said, if the signal strength is weak, for whatever reason, then the channel can be intermittent. Antenna orientation is critical to signal strength, because the broadcasters may be using significantly less power.

If you have some extra cable, try splitting the signal going into the bedroom TV and running a cable to the living room TV. If you get the same results, then it's the difference in the response of the TVs to the signal they are receiving.

Bob

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, it's not a signal issue and all the connections are tight. In the AM I'll try powering the Jensen up in a different location and I'll also try running it on 12 Volts just in case it the power supply causing the interference. Never thought about the closeness to the Bat Wing, only a few feet separation. I also have a 22" Vizio I'll try. Will keep you posted on what I find out.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! The good old days of analog signals.

Waiting to hear what the problem is.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Have you ruled out a bad splitter.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
"So the next step was to DISCONNECT the ANTENNA to the Bedroom TV and CHANNELS ARE STILL missing in the living room. So something in the Jensen is causing interference with the Samsung."

I believe the ops problem has nothing to do with the wiring in the RV as the interference was still happening when the bedroom tv is disconnected from everything but the power source. That is what mine does.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, here's what I determined today. Powered up the Jensen in the living room area (no antenna or anything attached just power) Still causes interference on the living room TV but not quite as bad. My guess is that the Jensen meets FCC Part 15 specs, but the closeness to the bat wing along with marginal signal results in interference to the Samsung. I connected my 22" Vizio in the bedroom and everything works, bedroom and living room. Only thing is the Vizio is 120 AC only not an AC/DC as the Jensen. Might have to wait and see when we get the Monty on the road and camp somewhere that the signal is better and see if stronger signal over comes the interference caused by the Jensen. Presently 40-50 miles from the local stations which is the reason for marginal signal. With analog signals they might have been snowy but at least you had something, now it's either crystal clear or you have nothing.
Tks for all the suggestions, but it looks like there isn't much that can be done right now.