Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #41
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Before I got the Pil/FJ card I would pull off the interstate several miles and then find out that they weren't set up for 5th wheels or trailers. Had to back out and go down the road to a station I could get into. Because they sell diesel doesn't mean you can get a 5th wheel or trailer in next to the pumps. Convenience, easy in, easy out and a place to park if you need to use restroom. If we unhook, then I might look for someplace cheaper. Normally one night stops we don't unhook.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #42
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
We avoid the truck stops if at all possible. We use GasBuddy and have driven by a couple tight stations and carefully maneuvered others.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #43
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Let me be clear, I wasn't trying to insult anyone who might be on a budget. If you have to save a few dollars on road trips so be it. However you have to weigh that few dollars against the very real risk and hassle of maneuvering a 50' plus rig thru tight spaces when there are other options. There is a very good reason you don't see 18wheelers at 7-11s very often....

I am not wasteful with money myself. If there are two truck stops and one is a penny cheaper per gallon and just as handy to get in and out of, I will of course go to the cheaper one. But I'm not going to drive thru downtown traffic in an unfamiliar town to save a few cents. Lets be honest here how many of you have, like me, made a wrong turn in an unfamiliar area and ended up in a serious jam that took you quite a while to get out of? That's why, IF I am towing, I will always go to a place DESIGNED to handle large vehicles rather than take a chance of getting into a bind.

IF on the other hand I can plan to be unhitched when I go get fuel then I am more than happy to pull in anywhere the dually will fit (which is anywhere an SRW can go pfffftttttt) and the price is lower. In fact, we have found that usually the Murphy Oil Spur station in front of Wal Marts is lowest price in town and easy to find in most cases. Not to mention that Murphy Oil Corp. is based in my home town of El Dorado, AR.! In fact, if you want to support a great company buy your fuel at those stations when you can. Murphy pays college tuition for all graduates of El Dorado High School (over 300 kids per year)!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #44
DaleRobertson
Established Member

M.O.C. #22977
Good Sam membership gets .05/gal off of gas and .08/gal off of diesel.
DaleRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #45
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Let’s run the numbers.

Let’s say we are on an 8000 mile trip. A normal trip for my me ad the wife.

For fuel cost I will use my local area.
At the flying J and the Loves at the freeway AZ 95 and I40 the fuel is 3.49.9 so I will use 3.50 per gallon.

At the Smith or Maverick in town it’s 3.15.9 so I will use 3.16 per gallon.

I know for a fact that 20% bio diesel gets on the average 2 mpg less so I would get about 8 mpg using 20% bio diesel. Instead of my usual 10 mpg.

8000 miles at 8 mpg that’s 1000 gallons of fuel at 3.50 per gallon = $3,500 dollars

The same 8000 miles at 10 mph is 800 gallons of fuel at 3.16 per gallon = $ 2,528.

Or a savings of $972.00

No matter what miles and what per gal cost the 2 mpg loss along with the increase in fuel cost at the truck stops adds up fast.

Even if I were to take away the 2 mpg it still is so much better to avoid the truck stops.

Using 10 mpg for both scenarios.

800 gals at 3.60 per gallon = 2,880.
800 gals at 3.16 per gallon = 2,528.
Or a savings of 352. For this trip.

Doing this helped me to justify the one time $650.00 cost for the added tank.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #46
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
waynemoore, Let me play devils advocate for a minute here.

Surely you don't believe that only the "major" truck stops use bio diesel ,do you? I`m fairly certain that the fuel you are putting into your truck from Smith or Maverick, is coming from the exact same bulk plant(s) that is supplying Flying J and Loves.

I know the owners of a very large fuel company, and now I must ask him some specifics about how they decide WHO gets biodiesel and what companies don't.

I don't disagree with your math and savings totals, I just think that since EPA has mandated diesel/bio diesel all to be ultra low sulfur, it hurts performance and mileage both!
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #47
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Bio diesel

Just curious - if the pump does not say “xx% bio-diesel” - I assume that would be the better fuel discussed in some previous post in this thread - correct?

I don’t remember if it was this forum or duramax forum - but I thought there was a recent thread praising bio-diesel for its better lubricity characteristics?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #48
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Carwin. You could be correct but if I remember at the smiths it said 15% bio. I will have to check and a very good point.

But even so just the differences in pricing still supports my decision to install the added tank.
Now replacing the existing tank a $2000 dollar (or so I have read) is maybe a different story. A lot longer payback.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #49
bamakeifer

M.O.C. #20886
Gas Guru App

We use the above app to shop prices. Then dependent upon towing or not we get fuel. Costs is always my greatest concern, then maneuvering. I'm a tight was.

Keith/Camilla
bamakeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #50
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
Let’s run the numbers.

At the flying J and the Loves at the freeway AZ 95 and I40 the fuel is 3.49.9 so I will use 3.50 per gallon.

I know for a fact that 20% bio diesel gets on the average 2 mpg less so I would get about 8 mpg using 20% bio diesel. Instead of my usual 10 mpg.

8000 miles at 8 mpg that’s 1000 gallons of fuel at 3.50 per gallon = $3,500 dollars

The same 8000 miles at 10 mph is 800 gallons of fuel at 3.16 per gallon = $ 2,528.

Or a savings of $972.00

No matter what miles and what per gal cost the 2 mpg loss along with the increase in fuel cost at the truck stops adds up fast.

Even if I were to take away the 2 mpg it still is so much better to avoid the truck stops.

I just fueled at Smiths at $3.03 (club price) a gallon verses 4.29 in calif...
The pump was not labeled as BIO. I did look.
I try and avoid truck stops when possible and intentionally plan my fuel stops
I also have a 60 gallon aux tank made by KSH in Lake Havasue AZ.
That gives me 100 gal total.
I agree with waynmore's calculations, you can save money but you have to plan your stops just as you select your camp sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KSH tank IMG_3400.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	3836  
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #51
jrsemrad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21904
We use Gas Buddy to research fuel availability, as well as location and when diesel is available. Occasionally DW checks Google Earth for an image of the station. Heck, she is just riding and has nothing else to do!
jrsemrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #52
mleeder
Established Member

M.O.C. #20360
Gas Buddy

We use gas buddy and go for the cheapest price. We evaluate station for accessibility but usually won’t have a problem if we stay away from dense urban areas. We pull a 41 foot with a Ford F450 DRW.
mleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #53
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
Let’s run the numbers.

Or a savings of $972.00

But lets say you hit the side of your truck or camper on the side of a pump as you try to leave the 7-11 in town. I suspect the bill for that damage just wiped out all your savings on fuel. Not to mention the hassle you will have with the police and insurance........just sayin. The cost of the fuel is really only part of the equation.

As for your extra tank, go for it. I certainly take no issue with that!

Oh by the way if your spending that much money on fuel all of us oilfield workers want to channel Bartels and James and say "thanks for your support"!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #54
Cooter
Established Member

M.O.C. #23607
I use the Gas Buddy App. With fuel prices rising and to see pricing all over the board it makes sense to know where to look. Granted some stations are not very convenient, but I use them anyway. The App is free, they offer additional savings using their credit card, you can build points towards a chance to win free fuel. Those of us on a limited budget can surely benefit.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #55
rvsareus
Established Member

M.O.C. #22863
Elite member ?

I too am an Elite member and was wondering, how do you use the card? Go inside and swipe it before fueling or what?
rvsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #56
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Mtlakejim, you have to be kidding me, that is really stretching it. The reason for the added tank is to not have to take the rig into the 7 11.

One can damage their truck just running around their home town has nothing to do with the cost of an added tank.

As for how much I spend on fuel if one drives lots of miles that is what it costs.
This year I have budgeted fuel for trips of 5000 miles. A bit low but we have a new Great grand daughter arriving in June.

But most years we go from AZ to the northwest say Washington then on Thunder Bay Ontario. Then into Maine, Mass on down to Georgia back to AZ. We like to do these trips in the fall, start late September and home by the first week of November as we have a two week timeshare in Cancun.

That trip will be next year we are talking about adding in the keys as we have never been there.
Yes I do all I can to support the oil industry.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #57
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Mtlakejim, there is one flaw in your logic. the planning and buying of fuel is a separate equation. The act of driving the rig in such a manner as to cause damage to it is quite another matter. That involves situational awareness on how to to get it safely, not figuring out where to get fuel at the best competitive price that is sufficiently convenient to make it worthwhile to get it there. Yes, you could have an accident and damage the rig but that is a separate problem that could happen anywhere not just at the pumps.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #58
Mgy41512

M.O.C. #23939
PFJ

When hauling I use it almost exclusively. I have the PFJ card and life GS membership which gets the max discount on fuel plus store discounts. With the convenience added in its a win in my book.
Mgy41512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #59
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not consider it a pleasurable experience to maneuver 53 feet of truck and Montana in and out of a Mom and Pop station although we have done it over the years. We remember a station owner running out yelling that we were blocking all of hs pumps, which we were.We also one time had to jackknife so hard coming out of a station that we activated the brake cable and locked the montana brakes up. We once had the local police in a city direct traffic so we could back out of a station. We drew a fairly good crowd on that one. There are many times when we are "ON the road" there are no truck stops nearby and you take what you can get. Whatever the individual does is the right thing to do. We are a simple person and we do things the simple way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #60
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
I usually fill up first then hook up. If I'm on the interstate I will use the truck lanes at the truck stops for my fill ups. I guess how many gallons I need at the fuel desk and if I'm over they only run my card for that amount. Tried using the d pumps at the gas lanes once and almost clipped the pump, so I stay away from them now. Wife likes Loves truck stops more as she feels they are alot cleaner for bathroom stops. Clean truck stop. Is that an oxymoron?
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote