Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #81
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Mine sat for 8 months without being exercised with no problems. what if it is in storage for the winter sounds like more lawyer talk to avoid warranty to me. Besides I hate exercise anyway.LOL
bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #82
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I have known people who NEVER have the oil changed in their vehicle...they too feel their vehicles run just fine. And I suppose they will run just fine...until they don't. Personally, it makes no difference to me if someone follows maintenance schedules for their property...I only offered what the manufacturer recommends. So there you have it...you are certainly free to do whatever you like with the information.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #83
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Michael, I still thank you for the information. Whether I do it or not is my decision, but, at least I now know what the manuf recommends.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #84
granet
Established Member

M.O.C. #10611
Send a message via AIM to granet
That goes for me as well Mike -I appreciate the information-needless to say with the temporary basement that I have built around the unit -I will have to lube the slide outs very carefully this summer! Thanks again for the info on suggested maintenance!
Regards
Granet
In the foothills of the Canadian Rockies
2008 Montana 3400RL loaded
granet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #85
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is the 7th of Jan and we are 9 days on a single tank of propane. The arctic package is working well and we are warm and toasty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #86
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Unfortunately, you didn't purchase the "Warm and Toasty" option. The artic option is purchased to warm up the outside air faster. :-)
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #87
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

This is the 7th of Jan and we are 9 days on a single tank of propane. The arctic package is working well and we are warm and toasty.
Probably has more to do with the rising outside temperature than the actic package!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:55 AM   #88
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Probably has more to do with the rising outside temperature than the actic package!"... No..The artic package works well in temps between 45 and 75 degrees...
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #89
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

"Probably has more to do with the rising outside temperature than the actic package!"... No..The artic package works well in temps between 45 and 75 degrees...
Oh, that arctic zone!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #90
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Our rig is new so I decided to see how the heater performed. I set it at 67 degrees a couple days ago and have been monitering the inside temperature every morning, noon and evening just before I go to bed. The outdoor temperatures have been running in the 15 to 19 degree range at night and 20 to 25 during the day. The temperature in the rig has not been lower than 65 degrees, and the heater is not running continuously. I think the fact that I have a new smaller rig with only two slides is probably making a big difference. Anyway, I'm pleased.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #91
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
The extra slides do present a heating and cooling challenge, but wouldn't live without them! In this regard, I believe the slide toppers help a lot in cooling...don't know about heating. When we had SOB TT, we did not have slide toppers and the temp in the slide area was always significantly hotter than the rest of the trailer. The newer models appear to have improved somewhat with insulation, but there is just so much that can be stuffed into two(?)inch walls...and I think the slide walls are even thinnner. For a smart business person, maybe here is an opportunity for a coach blanket...sort of like the "blanket" you put around your hot water heater at home. No? Well, just a thought.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #92
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The newer units have better insulation we saw it demonstrated at the fall rally a couple of years ago. We have not been in real cold weather.Mid 20's for short times here in Florida. IMO the furnace does a good job.If set at 70 it will pretty much keep it there. When the wind is blowing hard it will run a lot more to maintain the temp. The slides are the weak point and the more you have the harder it will be to keep the camper warm. There is not much insulation on the slide bottom. We are going to do something about that next winter. We have been warm and toasty for the last few days
Temps in the mid 40's/ 50's at night and mid 70's during the day with light winds. The furnace has not run all day and it is 75 inside the camper..
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #93
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
If you go and remove the cedar box that is inside you bedroom closet, you will see a gap on the left side. The box when installed pushes on the insulation causing this gap where there is zero insulation between the cap and the box. I don't know why they could not add another 6 inches or so to the width. If the work is sloppy there you can be assured it is in other places. I will see if they can add more when they fix my front flex problem. There going to have to remove the cap in order to rescrew the lower front wall to the side walls.

Gary
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #94
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We have been spending time in our new MH, and the difference in the sealing of the edges of the slides is huge. The MH is very tight, the slides fit snuggly on all four sides and have double seals on all sides. Another thing I have noticed is that every line, cable, cord, etc that goes through a wall has the hole in the wall (along with the items going through it) sealed with expandable foam.

Montana likes to brag on the high R factor of the roof, sides and floor. That's fine except all that insulation is no good if the slides fit is bad. If I sat on the floor of the Montana there was a noticeable draft, unless it was windy outside then there was a breeze.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #95
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
When work camping to help the seals to do there job I used a 3/8" foam sealer. It was the weather strip that come on a roll, and it was placed on the slide side seal. If you have ever looked at that seal there are wrinkles and the walls are not a true plane.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #96
gbsb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5015
We have a '09 3400RL and know for a fact the slides are not as well fitting as they were on our '03 3670. Our 3400 is drafty it is in the 20's here and our furnace is running a lot. We put skirtting around the bottom last week and I am amased how much of a difference it made. the furnace is not running near as much and the drafty feeling is gone. I still have some work to do to seal it all up but there is a world of difference allready. Still have to put the skirt up around the 5th wheel (a enclosed parking garage for my Harley). All in all we have been in our 3400 for over a year now and have had very few problems, and love it. George
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #97
GRHooper
Established Member

M.O.C. #10295
We're parked in Oklahoma City and are experiencing the same issues. It gets really chilly around the windows, especially the windows that are on slides. We run a DeLonghi oil-filled radiator heater and the fireplace 24/7. I also have a little Vornado 750 watt heater in the basement pointed to the pipes (I removed the shroud behind the convenience center, exposing some of the water pipes). With respect to how often we refill propane tanks, I'd say about every 4-5 days. Best to use as much electric heat as possible, particularly if you're not paying extra for electricity. Also, our fresh water tank is frozen and the only remedy, it appears, is to install tank heaters once we can move the trailer (or warm temps come). We have the 2009 3605RL and it is NOT a four season rv. Good luck!
GRHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #98
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well it is good to hear that others did not get the "warm and toasty " package. Drafty and breezy package///we got that.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #99
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
This is a pretty long thread and much has been said but here's my 2 cents worth. I upgraded to our 2011 3400RL in November this year and everything seems to fit very well with no real problems given that it's a 5th wheel and none of them are really build without drafts and air leaks I(even with tight fitting slides). However...I noticed that not much hot air was being forced thru the floor vents when the furnace was running so I emptied the basement and removed the rear bulkhead panels (2 black panels and one white plastic panel). When I inspected the furnace ducting I found that the main (3") flex duct from the furnace that should connect to the main sheet metal floor duct had fallen off and was laying on the floor blowing expensive hot air into the belly. Good for the tanks and lines in cold weather but not for heating inside the trailer. The metal flange on the end of the flex duct was originally taped to the sheet main metal duct without any screws to secure it. The tape gave way (probably before I took delivery) so I replaced the fitting into the sheet metal duct and screwed it in place before taping. Now I have good forced air heating inside the trailer. Keystone apparently doesn't secure this fitting with screws because my friends 2010 3400RL was the same...tape - no screws.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to eliminate the cold draft that comes across the floor from under the steps that go to the bedroom. There's a lot of cold air coming in from around the furnace into the belly as well as inside the trailer. Anyone have a newer 3400RL that has solved this problem?
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #100
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I kid alot about the Drafty when windy package but in Reality that is the nature of 5th wheels with slides. The more slides the draftier. It is now in the mid seventies in Florida but the wind is blowing fairly hard..15 to 25MPh so says the TV. I can feel that "warm" draft under the PC desk in this 3400 when we get a gust. Note I only kid the folks who say they do not have drafts because I want their camper.