Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
Level Up - Wheels off the ground

1st time MOC post and 1st day with the Montana 3100RL!

Where we park the Montana which we use on a regular basis the space is mostly level front to back and there is a 3" or so drop side to side with the door side being highest. During the PDI the Level Up system worked great with shore and battery. But at my site after auto leveling the off door side wheels are off the ground about the 3" difference I read through the manual and it does say not to lift your wheels off the ground but took that to mean all 4 tires. So when level, is OK / normal to have the wheels on one side off the ground to compensate for the ground slope?

During my first attempt I compensated for the drop by pulling the "Monty" on to blocks so that it was closer to level. After the auto level sequence the door side tires were off the ground 3-4" even though I'm almost absolutely sure that the off door side was still a bit lower. That one stumped me So I took out the blocks and got to my current situation.

My last 5er had the big foot and while this did happen once or twice, in there manual it indicated that it was OK to lift all 4 wheel off the ground. I am parked in the same location and the Cameo's wheels, when leveled, remained on the ground but it was also 5' longer.

If I moved the Montana I could probably reduce the slope to 2" Either way it appears to be within the 5 degree slope limitation, plus did not get any slope error - warning message

I looked around the internet and can't seem to get a sense of what is "normal when the site is not level. Your guidance and comments are most welcomed!

jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
For liability mitigation, Lippert, in my opinion, made that statement. We have had our tires off the ground when leveled at some sites and had no difficulties.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The early adds from TrailAir (where the Level-up System was started) claimed it could be used to lift all 4 wheels off the ground, or just one side to change a tire. We had times with our Montana where the wheels on the low side would be off the ground, same with our current SOB. Believe Michael (snfexpress) is correct, it's a CYA by Lippert. By making that claim, if you were to be changing a tire and for some reason the jacks lost pressure and the rig came down onto you they wouldn't be liable.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Had all four tires off the ground many time with out a problem. I can't see what blocks under the tires would do as the Montana is sitting on the six jacks. If it was level on your first try I think I would have left it alone. We have never had a problem with the tires on one side being off of the ground when level.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Lifting the wheels off the ground to level was how I discovered my new suspension was shot. One hung down and the other didn't. Have had one side or the other off the ground from time to time with no problems.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
jswharton, I know there are several manufacturers out there using this very same system from Lippert. One of those manufacturers has a picture of their unit setting on top of styrofoam coffee cups. They raised it up and placed upside-down cups under each tire and then lowered it back down. So, my thought is, if the two tires on one side are off the ground and doors are not swinging open or closed on the inside along with everything feeling level, it should be OK.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
It's hard to imagine that only 3" difference would cause the one side to be off the ground. We're still very new to the Level Up system and have had one side off the ground one time. And I don't remember the circumstances but you should have no problems. I agree with Michael and Kat that Lippert is just doing a CYA statement. Just keep enjoying. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
One side is off the ground on mine right now, happens all the time with no problems yet
Old 10-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The person that installed our system told us that Lippert makes that statement to protect them. If someone lifted the unit off the ground and removed both tires on one side and a hose busted you can see what would happen.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Just a week ago the service mgr at the dealership I bought my Big Sky at said wheels of the ground are no problem with Lippert 6 point leveling system.

Frank

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #11
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
Wonderful feedback, thanks Guess I can mark that off the list and focus on much more important things, like where to store my fishing gear!

The first night on the Montana went great, no issues, the Level up system didn't fail and the sun still rose in the east. Life is wonderful.

Thank-you all . . . .
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
In reply to the fishing rods, Scott, some have put hooks or velcro in the "basement" either on the ceiling of it or the one wall and hooked their rods there. If you have the big stuff like surf rods, Exnavydiver has his hung from the ceiling in the living room. I don't know if Fran would like that or not but it's an idea! Good luck with your finding a place to put the rods and happpy trails on the road also!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I did similar as Rondo for the fishing rods (hooks in the front storage area that can hold quite a few - we have four). But the rods are not very big or heavy, come apart into two pieces, otherwise we'd pick a different spot. We also keep the tackle box in the same storage area.

With a member name like Exnavydiver I'd expect to see rods hanging in his living room, along with diving helmet equipment as furniture. I hope he has a ship's wheel, too. That would be too cool!

So now that these ideas solve the important problem of fishing rod storage. I hope you are done with problems. .

Now that was easy wasn't it? Time to go enjoy the rig unless there's other problems you can bring up and get ideas from the MOC!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
good info.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh well, the SOB is going out on the limb now.

Leveling systems are leveling systems with one purpose, to level the RV. I have found that when side to side is like the original post that the system may overcompensate. In my case the left side comes down first and tilts the RV to the right, then the right side comes down and tries to level back to the left side, then there are a few "bumps" to try and level back and forth. In some cases there is overcompensation of the Auto-level system.

So, I switch to manual mode, retract, and do the "bumping" manually. It has made a difference in several situations where the wheels wanted to come off the ground.

Anyhow, just a thought if you have manual override. Auto-level is great, especially when everything is "near" level. Manual level is great for specific situations.

Happy trails.

Edited: Does the door side try to level first? It's already the high side. Try and bring the low side up first, then bump the high side for stability. Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just to comment about wheels off the ground. Here at the Rally in Daytona there was a new Toy Hauler (one of the Keystones) and to show the ability of the Level-Up system has been sitting there all weekend with all six tires (triple axle) off the ground.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
I guess it is what you are most comfortable with. Personally, we don't like our tires off the ground. When in that situation my husband Jim also switches to the manual mode to level it.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The leveling jacks do have a limitation on how far they can extend.If you are at a slope that exceeeds that the whels will come off the ground. We have done that. No matter what the manufactureres or anyone else says we do not like the idea of all 4 wheels off the ground.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote