Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Handle Off Full Black Water Tank Valve!!!

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic but I thought since it has to do with 'fix-its' that it might be where someone can give me the right advice.
This past weekend we went camping with our adult son and his family who live in another city. When we left he was at the dump station with the used motor home he recently acquired. A few miles up the road I got a cell phone call: Hey Dad! What do you do when the black water valve handle and pull bolt come all the way out and the valve is still closed??? He said there were no threads on the end of the bolt, just a ridge. All I could tell him was that he had a baaad problem and I can't think of a good remedy short of a hazardous body suit. Anyone have a fix for opening that valve - safely? Mike

ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
OOOps. Just saw the forum for Montana Problems & Technical Help. Maybe some helpful moderator or admin. could move me to the proper place? Thanx
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I could be a Montana problem if it were a Montana. I don't know what he is looking at, but if there is a thickness of material visable, he might try a long self-tapping screw into that material and then come out with pliers. Maybe one at each edge and two pairs of pliers. The boy don't know his own strength.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
It sounds like the rod might have rusted. The threads may have just worn and rusted away over the years. A new rod should just screw into the place the old one came out of. Let us know what he ended up doing to get it fixed.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
HamRad - thanks for the suggestion. I'll call him & see if he is willing to try it. I suppose the worst that could happen would be for only a partial opening, but he has a sewer hose for that. I know he won't try prying the valve open as suggested above because that means the unthinkable - exposure to the contents with the drain hose disconnected. I was hoping there was some trick that someone knew about that was simple and not risky. Like the time my black water tank was completely full and when I opened the valve just a trickle would come out. I knew I wasn't going to remove the drain hose and reach up there with a coat hangar or such. A true friend suggested we disconnect the drain hose from the park sewer outlet on the ground, raise it up about chest high, fill it about halfway with water and then lift the drain hose up and down to let the water push against the blockage at the valve. It worked. After a few sloshes up and down, a quick connect to the sewer drain and all came out. Apparently no such luck on this problem. Oh well, I'm just glad it's not MY problem. My son is young and more easily able to learn from this experience than I am.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Stiles - I just re-read your suggestion and see that I misunderstood the first time I read it. I'll let the boy know about that also. For his sake I just hope one of these does work. Thanx again. Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. HamRad Dennis - you're not as glad he lives in another town as I am. I know this one would have been expected as a father/son project because I'm "experienced"? Anyway, I brought up the subject with him yesterday, all prepared to give some good fatherly advice, gleaned from all your suggestions, but he informed me he had solved the problem. He has an appointment with an RV place to take it in Friday. He's of the same conviction as some of the above that if he can't pay to have it fixed then sell the rig & buy a new one. He is handy and can do most anything, but will not even consider tackling this one himself. He says what ever they charge will be worth it.

Again, thanks to all for some good ideas. If any of us are presented with a similar problem in the future we will be better prepared to handle it - or not, depending on our constitution. I'll let you know what it actually cost when this is all over with. Are'nt you glad you are'nt the newest tech trainee at that RV shop??????
Mike
Old 02-07-2006, 06:01 AM   #8
Montana_2296
Established Member

M.O.C. #2296
Smart kid. Not something I would mess with either. Especially with the enclosed underbelly on my rig.
Montana_2296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Guys you just need to replace the valve 4 Bolts
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:42 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Author Topic
ronnilu
MOC Enthusiast

MOC-3933

USA
51 Posts
Posted - Jan 31 2006 : 01:47:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic but I thought since it has to do with 'fix-its' that it might be where someone can give me the right advice.
This past weekend we went camping with our adult son and his family who live in another city. When we left he was at the dump station with the used motor home he recently acquired. A few miles up the road I got a cell phone call: Hey Dad! What do you do when the black water valve handle and pull bolt come all the way out and the valve is still closed??? He said there were no threads on the end of the bolt, just a ridge. All I could tell him was that he had a baaad problem and I can't think of a good remedy short of a hazardous body suit. Anyone have a fix for opening that valve - safely? Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
Took delivery of '06 3295RK Dec. 22, '05 (yeah)
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, Starboard running boards

Edited by - RAMBIGSKY on Jan 31 2006 02:11:22 AM

ronnilu
MOC Enthusiast

MOC-3933

USA
51 Posts
Posted - Jan 31 2006 : 01:51:14 AM

OOOps. Just saw the forum for Montana Problems & Technical Help. Maybe some helpful moderator or admin. could move me to the proper place? Thanx

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.

stiles watson
MOC Fanatic

MOC-2059

USA
1187 Posts
Posted - Jan 31 2006 : 05:49:58 AM

I could be a Montana problem if it were a Montana. I don't know what he is looking at, but if there is a thickness of material visable, he might try a long self-tapping screw into that material and then come out with pliers. Maybe one at each edge and two pairs of pliers. The boy don't know his own strength.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Edited by - stiles watson on Jan 31 2006 12:45:45 PM

HamRad
MOC Fanatic

MOC-15

USA
1309 Posts
Posted - Feb 01 2006 : 12:31:01 AM

It sounds like the rod might have rusted. The threads may have just worn and rusted away over the years. A new rod should just screw into the place the old one came out of. Let us know what he ended up doing to get it fixed.

HamRad

Mary Kay & Dennis with Roscoe (little Doxie)

Where are we? >>Ham Radio locator beacon.

PictureTrail >>Various pictures of our adventures.

Montana 3295RK, 2002
Towing with 2002 Ford PSD(7.3) 450SD, Crew Cab with long bed.

ronnilu
MOC Enthusiast

MOC-3933

USA
51 Posts
Posted - Feb 01 2006 : 02:17:41 AM

HamRad - thanks for the suggestion. I'll call him & see if he is willing to try it. I suppose the worst that could happen would be for only a partial opening, but he has a sewer hose for that. I know he won't try prying the valve open as suggested above because that means the unthinkable - exposure to the contents with the drain hose disconnected. I was hoping there was some trick that someone knew about that was simple and not risky. Like the time my black water tank was completely full and when I opened the valve just a trickle would come out. I knew I wasn't going to remove the drain hose and reach up there with a coat hangar or such. A true friend suggested we disconnect the drain hose from the park sewer outlet on the ground, raise it up about chest high, fill it about halfway with water and then lift the drain hose up and down to let the water push against the blockage at the valve. It worked. After a few sloshes up and down, a quick connect to the sewer drain and all came out. Apparently no such luck on this problem. Oh well, I'm just glad it's not MY problem. My son is young and more easily able to learn from this experience than I am.

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.

ronnilu
MOC Enthusiast

MOC-3933

USA
51 Posts
Posted - Feb 01 2006 : 02:23:13 AM

Stiles - I just re-read your suggestion and see that I misunderstood the first time I read it. I'll let the boy know about that also. For his sake I just hope one of these does work. Thanx again. Mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.

ronnilu
MOC Enthusiast

MOC-3933

USA
51 Posts
Posted - Feb 07 2006 : 02:12:08 AM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. HamRad Dennis - you're not as glad he lives in another town as I am. I know this one would have been expected as a father/son project because I'm "experienced"? Anyway, I brought up the subject with him yesterday, all prepared to give some good fatherly advice, gleaned from all your suggestions, but he informed me he had solved the problem. He has an appointment with an RV place to take it in Friday. He's of the same conviction as some of the above that if he can't pay to have it fixed then sell the rig & buy a new one. He is handy and can do most anything, but will not even consider tackling this one himself. He says what ever they charge will be worth it.

Again, thanks to all for some good ideas. If any of us are presented with a similar problem in the future we will be better prepared to handle it - or not, depending on our constitution. I'll let you know what it actually cost when this is all over with. Are'nt you glad you are'nt the newest tech trainee at that RV shop??????
Mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.

DogsGoCamping
MOC Enthusiast

MOC-2296

USA
31 Posts
Posted - Feb 07 2006 : 1:01:28 PM

Smart kid. Not something I would mess with either. Especially with the enclosed underbelly on my rig.

2003 Excursion 7.3 Diesel
2005 Mountaineer 325fkbs
2 Dogs-Eros and Adonis
1 Cockatiel-Lucky

kdeiss - the issue here is how to empty the FULL black tank BEFORE unscrewing those 4 bolts !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
This is how you do it.You drill a hole in the side of the valve with a small screw driver you push in the gate valve. Buy a new valve first you will see about the area to drill you will get a few nasty drips it will work I did it.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #12
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
OOPS! Copied & pasted the wrong response just above. Would one of you fine moderators "X" that out for me? Thanx - Mike

OK. I hope I deleted the response you wanted. RVWheels MOC Admin.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #13
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Well all, it's over & done with. $278 for the RV shop to pump it out, put on a new valve and install a thru the wall rinse out system. My son is happy & said he was glad to pay the bill as long as he didn't have to deal with it....& I'm happy that he was able to pay it!!! Thanks again to all for your suggestions. Mike
Old 02-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike and Ronni, you can delete your own posts. You should see a trashcan icon on your post. Click that and it will ask for your password. Enter password and click OK and it deletes your post. None of us can delete anyone else's posts, though. Only Administrators and probably Moderators can do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote