Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Montana_2097

M.O.C. #2097
Gurgling sound from water heater

The 10 gallon water heater in our Montana has started gurgling or more accurately making a sound like water just beginning to boil. If I turn on a fauset and let some pressure off and run the hot water for a short time, it quits, but soon starts again. I have had to reset the circuit breakers on the tank twice also.
Does anyone have any idea what the noise is and what to do about it?

Montana_2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:23 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Mike I have noticed that mine does the same thing but has not tripped any breakers, I use mine on electric so I don't know if it does the samething on propane. As far as I know their is not a temp setting on these heaters. It really has not caused any problems so I have not worried about it. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:30 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If I recall, the manual for the water heaters says there is a thermostat behind the black reset buttons on the outside panel. But it also says its a dealer adjustable item, again if I recall correctly. I think most dealers just replace the thermostat instead of adjusting. I don't know if there is one thermostat for both electric and propane or if each has its own. Given ours heats to a higher temperature on propane by a considerable margin I have to wonder if electric has its own thermostat.

Mike, I don't know a lot about this but it does sound like it's boiling. The first thing would be to find out why it's boiling and that sounds like a thermostat problem. The other thing I wonder about is why the relief valve is not relieving the pressure. Maybe it needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if a correctly functioning relief valve is all that's needed or if there's an underlying problem with the thermostat. Sorry not to be of much help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #4
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
We operate our heater on electric also. Never hear anything that sounds like boiling water. Have you checked the water with a thermometer yet? Boiling is pretty hot you know.
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Wilson

The 10 gallon water heater in our Montana has started gurgling or more accurately making a sound like water just beginning to boil. If I turn on a fauset and let some pressure off and run the hot water for a short time, it quits, but soon starts again. I have had to reset the circuit breakers on the tank twice also.
Does anyone have any idea what the noise is and what to do about it?
Mike, we have a 2955RL, it is 9 months old. It made the noise you referred to......fortunately it has stopped. We never experienced any problem with the hw heater.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
It may be the gremlins in the basement drinking your wine. Just kidding, let us know what you find out.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:08 AM   #7
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Mike: We've had an '04 3280 for the past 5 months and it has the same "gurgling" sound in the hot weater heater as you mentioned. It didn't sound that way on our first trip, but started shortly after. Was told by the dealer mechanic that it was just the water heating on electric, which is what we use most of the time. So far, no problems, but we've never heard it on any of the other rigs we've owned, however, I keep telling myself to write the water heater mfg for their advice, but somehow keep forgetting to make that a priority. Will let you know what I find out from the mfg....if they reply.
Marshall
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:01 AM   #8
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Yeah, we get the gurgling too. If a lot of people are getting it, I feel better...even if we are all doomed.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:45 AM   #9
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I know from past experience that some water with high mineral content will create build up on the heating rodes. However, this normally takes some time to develop. I would not think that a new rig would have this problem. I would take the annode our for an examination.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote