Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
alden3
Established Member

M.O.C. #1191
Black Streak Remover

The black streak remover that I’ve been using says to be sure to rinse with water after wiping the streaks off. Most RV parks don’t allow washing of RVs. Do these removers harm the finish if you don’t rinse it?

alden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Just hide a small bottle of water and spray quietly! Alternatively have a water fight with the kids!

With our 335RLBS I took some plastic pipe and glued it in place so the water did not run down the sides. Kept it much cleaner. I'll be interested to see how the new guttering on the 2005 works.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Last winter in Texas I used 409, just sprayed & wiped off. It removed the dirt & black streaks good. That is all I used all winter.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:28 AM   #4
alden3
Established Member

M.O.C. #1191
Thanks for the reply on the 409. My wife says she has some I'll go try it.
alden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DiananColin

Just hide a small bottle of water and spray quietly! Alternatively have a water fight with the kids!

With our 335RLBS I took some plastic pipe and glued it in place so the water did not run down the sides. Kept it much cleaner. I'll be interested to see how the new guttering on the 2005 works.
Please tell me more about the plastic pipe & gluing it in place so the water won't run down the sides!!!!! We have a 2000 Montana with the roof that wraps over the edge -- we also get runs because nothing acts as a gutter. Saw and web site www.gutters.com but haven't heard if anyone has tried those. Sounds like yours maybe the same but with pipe. What size pipe, what type of glue and where did you mount it? Looks like it would have to be right under the wrap around rubber roof because it starts to streak from the top and all the way down. Will be waiting to hear from you. Thanks.
Montana_1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What kind of black streak remover are you using? Our Montana is currently about 2500 miles away and BS remover is in the Montana so can't see what it says. I've never rinsed ours, just spray and wipe. More recently I've been using the BS Remover Wipes. Just wipe with one of those then wipe with a dry rag. Maybe I'm missing something is why I ask what you're using. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Wild Bill I haven't glued anything on ours. I went Walmart & got a package of plastic clothespins & clip one on each gutter end & that works for me. I sometimes lose one, just clip another one in its place.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:57 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I also use the cloths pin trick and it works great.
In areas where black streaks still occur I use Simple Green. Spray it on, wipe it off and finish with a damp cloth.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:47 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Simple Green works great. Really does well in taking tar, and road grit off the coach. I use the stuff all over the coach and the boat. It is some good stuff. I also use "Black streak remover" that I bought from my dealer. It says rinse or wipe away with clean cloth. I just spray my towel and wipe followed by another wipe with a damp cloth. Have not had any trouble yet.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:34 AM   #10
Mr Zip
Established Member

M.O.C. #1583
One cup of liquid bleach, one cup Wisk, to three gallon warm water is inexpensive and it works very well for removing black streaks. This recipe use to be on Sears paint to wash meldew off siding before painting.
Mr Zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:29 AM   #11
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
I also use simple green to remove the black streaks or any spots that are grimey. I do rinse it with some water.

Simple Green will take the wax off also. So you need to put an application of wax or polish on afterward.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:00 AM   #12
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I used simple green on my last trailer and it discolored the decals so make sure you do not use it full strenght, Have not had any problems on the montana but I delute it about 10 to 1. good luck, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #13
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Whoever makes a fool-proof black steak remover will be a wealthy man! Somehow I think those streaks are related to being downwind of pollutant sources. Anyone else have a clue? All I know is that we don't get streaks so badly when we are in the less populated states. And here the air is so bad that the plastic patio furniture got pitted. What the heck is it doing to our lungs?? Gonna try that Simple Green but will be careful about the strength. Thanks for the heads up!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:40 AM   #14
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Well heck--I'm gonna try the Simple Green on the rig not on my lungs!! That did read kinda weird. LOL
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I always assumed its from whatever is on the roof getting washed down the sides from dew or rain. Maybe I'm wrong. In any case they are always a pain. I do think they're a bit easier to get off our hi-gloss Montana than they were on our filon sided-Montana but it still takes some scrubbing sometimes. Others wipe off pretty easily but some are stubborn. Those endcaps can be the pits getting clean if you allow those streaks to stay there very long. I've had the best luck with the Black Streak Remover Wipes rather than the spray. It's made by the same people (Camco???).
Old 10-26-2004, 03:01 PM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I know this is going to get me in trouble -- both with members of this forum and with the law of retribution ("Pride goeth before a fall", etc.) BUT we've had our Montana for 17 months and traveled from Colorado to Florida and points in between during those months without any significant black streaks. The reason? I believe it is in keeping our rubber roof clean. The black streaks are result of oxidation of the roof covering which is normal and unavoidable -- even necessary. Just last week, I gave our RV a thorough cleaning starting with a climb up on the roof and washing it down, followed by washing the front, back, and sides. I noticed that there were no black streaks even before I started. I waxed the front cap only. Bugs are a real problem in this part of the world, but with wax and bug remover from CW they come off with relative ease.

Now I'm ready to take my licks, and very possibly find black steaks in the morning!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:18 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm afraid I can't argue with you. I only clean our roof about twice per year. It helps using the clothespins but streaks still show up in other locations. Bugs are a problem just about everywhere we've traveled.

Do you mean keeping it waxed so it's slick and it thus is easier to remove or are you using the wax to remove bugs and streaks? Sorry, dumb question, but want to make sure I know what you mean.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:34 PM   #18
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Not a dumb question at all. It's just the limits of language in the brief format of this medium. And my language did not make it clear that the waxing was to "protect and prevent" not to clean. With the surface waxed, the bugs do not stick on as they would on the surface without the wax. But I do find that "bug remover" (it's out with the RV tonight so I can't recall the brand name) which I ordered from Camping World really does work.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:55 AM   #19
Montana_44

M.O.C. #44
hi all, recently cleaned our montana for an upcoming cruise to disney; i use some of the same stuff y'all do, simple green, clothes pins, etc, what i'm tryin to noodle out tho is the mold/mildew/discoloration on the caulking and those raised vinyl/rubber gasket like seals they put in those channels where i'm assuming screws or whatever are.........how do u get THOSE clean?? thanks....gary and sybil calder.....we grow flowers......we're done with that, and so now it's time to go cruisin in anna montana......see y'all on the road.......
Montana_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had a tour of the Montana factory when we were in Goshen for repairs back in August and they showed us the new, longer eave spouts they are now putting on the new Montanas. They let us have enough of them (left and right) so we could install them on our rigs. They extend about twice as far as the old ones. Black marks cease!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote