Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
Montana_632
Established Member

M.O.C. #632
Hydraulic Slide Operation Frequency

We have a 2004 Big Sky Montana 3670 with three hydraulic slides. The owners manual says to operate the slides every week or two when traveling. We somtimes stay in place for two-three months. This is a real pain in the neck because we have pictures and knick knacks on top of the slide we have to take down not to mention moving chairs and coffee tables. Is this procedure really necessary and has anyone who does not do this run into any problems? Thanks, and have a great day.

Montana_632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bruce,
The only reason I can think of is; that when our slides are out, the Chrome piston shafts are exposed to the air. This could cause pitting in the chrome over an extended peroid of time. If this pitting gets bad enough it will dammage the seals on the pistons. If I were setting up for a long preiod of time I would climb under the slides and put a nice coat of heavy oil on the chrome shafts. This is the biggest cause for replacement of Fork seals on Motorcycles. We Motorcyclist have to re-chrome the fork shafts if they get pitted. Just changing the seals isn't enought.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bruce,
My slides have been out now for 4 months now. I brought them in last weekend to lube everything. This is my second coach and I usually try to bring them in at least once every 3 months or so. Have not had any trouble with either one so far. There are 11 fulltimers at in my park at the lake with many different brands, and they all do as I do. Bring in once every few months and thats it. This is just what I do. I will be going under them to look at the piston shafts that Azstar is talking about to see how they look. Never thought about them before, but sure worth a look.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote