Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
thoun
Established Member

M.O.C. #1747
Water pump

We have a very loud and vibrating water pump. Additionally, the water seems to have a lot of air in the lines and it spits and hisses while running. Lately the toilet has started spitting water when you first step on the water pedal. Has any one else had pump problems and how did you handle them? We appreciate any direction you can give us.

thoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Try running the water to purge the air. I have that problem in the in the beginning of the season.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
amiyac,

FIRST, welcome to the forum!! Enjoy!!

I believe if you use the search engine on the forum, see top of this screen, you will find that noisy pumps have been discussed a couple of times.

One of the fixes is to put foam around the pipes, I think the kind that is used for insulating pipes in our stick built houses.

Plus some members will come along shortly with some more ideas.

Cheers and many happy camping trips to you!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There are quiet pumps on the market should you be inclined to replace the standard one. We don't use the pump enough for us to justify the expense. We found a big part of the noise is the hard lines vibrating against each other and against the walls of the pump compartment. Judicious use of insulation to separate the pipes and walls made a significant difference. The pump is still louder than I'd like but we don't use it often anyhow. You might be able to do a better job of isolating the mounts than is done from the factory, too. Some have used rubber or hard foam for this.

If you're getting the water spitting when running the pump, it probably lost its prime. Ours has been doing that the last few months. I have to turn on the pump and open a faucet until it gets its prime.

If you're getting the water spitting when hooked up to city water, here's what I do that seems to get rid of 95% of the spitting, but not all of it: I hook up the hose to the CG spigot, turn on the water until I get full flow from the hose. Hook it up to the Montana, being careful to keep the hose as full as possible. Otherwise all that air in the hose has to go through the water lines and out the faucets and toilet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
amiyac -- We (should probably say ME) also thought the water pump was excessively noisy. Had "Handy-Hubby" take a look at this issue. He removed the pump and placed rubber bushings between the mounts and floor. This has helped to make the pump somewhat quieter but I think it still is noisy.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We too think our pump is noisy and we have tried everything (insulation, foam and others) but it hasn't made that much difference. I did notice another unit next to us was a whole lot noiser so I'm not so upset about it any more. LOL And we too get the spitting of water from the pump each weekend when we take the 5er out and don't have city water.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickster

amiyac -- We (should probably say ME) also thought the water pump was excessively noisy. Had "Handy-Hubby" take a look at this issue. He removed the pump and placed rubber bushings between the mounts and floor. This has helped to make the pump somewhat quieter but I think it still is noisy.
We sprayed a bed of foam insulation under it and once set tightened the pump down on that. It is not quite as noisey and has reduced the vibration.
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote