Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
bcforce
Established Member

M.O.C. #11272
Water Pressure ??

We have 2006 2980 RL. I have a 50lb water pressure regular (the brass type that goes on the faucet). Our pressure inside is not very good. Should I get a regulator that allows more pressure, or is 50 the standard pressure, and there is something wrong with my current regulator?

Thanks

bcforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'd try another regulator. 50# should give you decent pressure.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I agree. I use a 50 regulator but the first one I had was as you say. Low pressure in the house.
If you end up wanting more, get an adjustable one at a hardware store.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

I'd try another regulator. 50# should give you decent pressure.
Agree...our regulator is factory set at 50-55psi.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
#50 is plenty ... assuming the regulator is functioning OK ... remove all your screens in the faucets and clean them out. Perhaps this was the issue after all. When you say "brass type" that goes on the faucet, do you mean the little brass ones about the same diameter as the water hose or do you mean the ones alot of us use that is like one that you would use on your stick house? The little inline brass ones like you get at Wally World really don't allow much flow (GPM).
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
You should check that the flow regulator for your faucet is removed. That means you'll use water faster, though.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I use the Watts brass inexpensive model from Camping World. It's set for 45psi I think however when I measure the GPM at the kitchen cold water tap, I get .75 gallons per minute. It's painfull watching it flow at that rate. What should I expect in terms of gallons per minute from the taps?
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Most people issues with a lack of water pressure is low flow rate and not actual water pressure. I prefer an adjustable regulator, but look for something with 2+ gallons/minute or better. I have a Watts regulator rated at 3+ gallons/minute...found it on line for ~$75.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I just want to throw this out to anyone displeased with the water pressure/volume in the newer Montanas (as in the ones with the convienence centers). I've had the cover off the area behind the center doing an insulation project and checking the water fittings back there and "boy howdy" are there a bunch! As we all are aware, there are several valves to allow us to do all kinds of handy things we didn't used to be able to do. If you look at the size of the holes in these valves that redirect the water to where ever ... they are pitifully small as in the size of a pencil. I'm convinced this is the main reason the newer models seem to have less flow than say fivers built prior to the convienence centers ... 2-3 valves with ports the size of pencils can constrict flow.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You don't have a water filter in line anywhere do you? If we get in a place with a lot of sand in their water (usually a well) they can plug a new filter cartridge up in no time. It's the restricted flow that tells me when to change the cartridge. Very irritating when a new one bites the dust extra fast, but glade that crap didn't get in the Monty and settle in the low spots.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I just want to throw this out to anyone displeased with the water pressure/volume in the newer Montanas (as in the ones with the convienence centers). I've had the cover off the area behind the center doing an insulation project and checking the water fittings back there and "boy howdy" are there a bunch! As we all are aware, there are several valves to allow us to do all kinds of handy things we didn't used to be able to do. If you look at the size of the holes in these valves that redirect the water to where ever ... they are pitifully small as in the size of a pencil. I'm convinced this is the main reason the newer models seem to have less flow than say fivers built prior to the convienence centers ... 2-3 valves with ports the size of pencils can constrict flow.
I like your thoughts on this a lot. Makes a lot of sense and I believe you are onto something here. Now the question is, how do we fix it? Where yea at Ozz? lol
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’ve been at a couple of parks where the water pressure was extremely low. If you are someplace your unfamiliar with ask around about the water pressure there. It could be something like that and not necessarily something wrong.

Something I plan to try if I find any more parks with low water pressure would be to use the water supply from the fresh water tank and use the on board pump. Once the water tank if full the shore water could be turned off or disconnected altogether. This might help out a lot if you actually have a low water supply pressure to begin with.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

I use the Watts brass inexpensive model from Camping World. It's set for 45psi I think however when I measure the GPM at the kitchen cold water tap, I get .75 gallons per minute. It's painfull watching it flow at that rate. What should I expect in terms of gallons per minute from the taps?
Now go measure it outside at the hydrant both before and after the regulator. Should give you an idea of where you are losing volume. Jim