Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Two batteries for Boondocking

I'am about convinced that if we are going to do any serious boondocking I need to add a second 12v battery. I've also been told by some non-Monty owners that the converter/chargers that are original equipment on most rigs won't do a good job of charging two batteries. I'm going to be using two honda generators twinned together for daytime use and recharging the batteries. Are they right or will the original equipment we have in the Monty's do the job?

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have been using 2 12 volt batteries for 2 1/2 years now in all types of camping applications and have had no problem with the charging system that is on the Monty. Checked water level many times and have not had to add water so charger is doing a great job.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We have two six volt batteries and our standard charger on board does a great job charging our batteries.
Older Montanas did not have the recharge capacity that the newer ones do.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Older Montanas had a cheap converter (Iota DLS55) which had only one charge rate. Since 2008 (or so) they have been using intelligent converters (for a while they supplied Zantrac models) with multi-stage charging. But even the older converters could be upgraded to smart chargers. I have four golf cart 6V batteries and the smart converters do a fine job.

You don't need a twinned set of Honda 2000s just to charge batteries. Heck a 1000 will do the job but most of us use a 2000 so we have some extra voltage for other appliances. Unless you are running the A/C during the day, you probably only need one generator at a time.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
rhidalgo
Established Member

M.O.C. #11656
We have fresh experence with this. We just recently boondocked with one battery in the Smoky Mountains NP and it was cold (30 degree mornings). The heater ran most of the night and did make it the entire night when the battery was fully changed. Generator use in the Park is limited to 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. so we were totally reliant on the battery at night. We found that it required approximately 5 hours to fully charge the battery using the generator so that it would run the heater the entire night. A three hour charge which we only did once resulted in a dead battery and cold camper at 5:00 A.M. What I plan to do next time is have a second battery as you suggest and also have a seperate battery charger for that battery so the campers inverter voltage will not have to be shared by two batteries thus requiring twice as long to charge. If you don't have the second charger the problem will not be eliminated but only postponed if you stay for several days.
rhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The squirrel cage blower on the heater sucks 12V power. If you plan to run it and keep the RV warm and toasty, bring lots of battery power along. We spend long periods boondocking running the heater (normally at night set to 50 degrees), TV, satellite, DVR, Wifi and laptops. Four 6V batteries work fine and re-charge to 90% in a few hours. If you want to get to 100%, then you will have to run the charger a lot longer. With enough battery power, starting at 90% (and never dropping below 50%) will run everything you want (within reason).One 12V battery is not enough juice in cold weather.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with Carl. We have two 6 volt batteries, a newer converter/charger, and a couple of Hondas. We try to use just one Honda at a time to charge our two batteries to about 90% - it takes to much fuel to get that last 10 percent and you don't really need it.

Oh, and like a lot of us, you could switch your lights to LED thus reducing your 12 volt (and 110 volt) loads.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dick and Joyce,
You can read my response to this question on the Escapees Forum. Hope to see you folks at Q! Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
If I were to upgrade to a new converter to use multiple batteries, what Mfg and Model number would I be looking for, or is everything sold today, intelligent converters? I currently have the older Iota.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
01RAMer: your existing Iota DLS55 is a fine converter power wise. What it lacks is the multi-stage charging functions which make it a "Smart Charger". But you can add a IQ4 module (a simple plug in component) which will give you all of the "Smart Charger" functions for about $30.

Here is what the Iota folks have to say about the IQ4

Four Charging Modes to help keep your battery in peak condition

The IQ4 Smart Controller provides intelligent automatic charging control for your DLS Battery Charger, keeping batteries fully charged and operating for long life. IQ4 Charge Controllers are available for any DLS Battery Charger model and are backed by our IOTA Two-Year Warranty

http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm

There are a bunch of us here using the IQ4.