Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
Back-up Camera

I am in the process of buying a new truck. The manufactures Back-up Cameras are all installed in the rear tailgate handle. When hooking up the 5th wheel, with the tail gate down, you are seeing the ground.
I have the following questions:
-What is the best after market back-up camera?
-I was considering installing a camera on the cab of the truck and on the back of the 5th wheel. Any comments?

Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the cheap camera that most stores sell work really well.i am from canada and the canadian tire store sells them for around 100 bucks. i installed one on the back of my 5th wheel. if works good for passing cars knowing when to pull back into the lane.it works real well.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have been towing full time for a little over three years, don't have one, don't want one, don't feel the need for one. Of course, my DW ALWAYS spots me while backing with walkie talkies and I have never cut anyone off while changing lanes. I think this is one of those things that "if you have one you wouldn't be without it". after all we do need to justify our expenditures. AND if you don't have one, you don't really need one, this is my category. To each his own....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
I really appreciate your opinion. I really don't know if I need the camera, as I have never pulled my 5th wheel. We bought it a year ago and it is permanently sited and I stay in it during the week, as I work out of state. We have camped all our lives and we are retiring early and plan on pulling the 5th wheel all over the states.
Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Walter, I don't have one either. Like Phil said, if you never had one you probably don't need one. I have been pulling large trailers for years, and with good mirrors, you shouldn't have any trouble changing lanes. However, with my Monty I did have one minor mishap when backing, without DW spotting for me. That'll never happen again. If she isn't available, I'll recruit someone to spot for me. But don't feel the need for a camera...Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Now that I have one I would not pull without one. It takes the guess work out of changing lanes in heavy traffic. When you look down at the monitor and see the front of the vehicle you know it is safe to change lanes.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same here. It is rear view mirror and eliminates that spot right behind the camper. I think that if somehow one could test one out they would buy one. I will not leave the driveway without it working..It is a must have.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been traveling full time for almost 10 years and I never saw the need for any type of backup camera. I trust my wife to spot for me and if she isn't available (which is almost never) then I back slowly and stop, get out and look. Then proceed slowly back a few feet, get out and look. I keep doing this until I'm parked. I learned this from the person who gave me my driver's test when I began driving school bus. Works for me.

I can't say whether or not a camera works because I have never used one. But right now I don't see the need. If I had a motor home, then I might, just might go for it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
why would you have one for a motorhome but not for a 5th wheel.i dont get that one.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

why would you have one for a motorhome but not for a 5th wheel.i dont get that one.
I used it to check on my toad.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #11
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
With all due respect to the opinions of others, I have three cameras and use them all the time and would fell very unsafe without them. The one on the back of the rig is, as Rich said, like a giant rearview mirror and can save your butt in traffic, especially when making lane changes. The right side one is useful for backing up when the right is your blind side and of course with my truck I can't see to hitch up without the rearview on the truck. A few recommendations, don't go wireless, pay extra for audio in the rearview on the RV(turn it off when traveling. on when backing up) get a big monitor, and for me. pay someone else to do the job right the first time, Best wishes, Jay and Kthy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote