Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Abnormal Tire Ware - HELP

’07 3400, a year ago we traveled across country from NY to Lake Havasu, AZ and spent a couple of months parked at a friends home before going up to the Grand Canyon to work for the season. We left the first of December, parked the RV again in Lake Havasu and headed to NY for the Holidays. Returned a week ago, and will be headed back up to the Canyon for one more season. Although this year we’ll finish in the middle of September, planning to go to the Fall Rally.

Now, I always check the tire pressure and lug nuts before leaving for a trip, and frequently while traveling. Yesterday while using the “hinge fix” for the slide wire support I noticed that the rear tire on the drivers side had no tread left on the inside edge of the tire and the front drivers side tire is wearing in similar fashion although not as severely. There can’t be more than 6000 miles on the tires.

I’m at a loss as to how to approach this. I suppose it’s an axle alignment problem, however, I’m not the handiest, or most knowledgeable person with these kinds of problems. Also, I feel this is a manufacturing problem, and if I could get to the Rally, I would have Keystone address this issue.

If I just put new tires on, by the time we get to the Rally those tires will have excess wear, I don’t know if the local Montana dealer is qualified or what to ask so that I’d have a reasonable likelihood to make that determination. I really feel like a fish out of water, and I need to have this resolved within the next week and half, as that’s when I’m scheduled to be at the Canyon. All help will be appreciated! Thanks, Andy

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Andy,
Since your unit is an '07, I'd bite the bullet and take it to an axle alignment shop.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I had the same problem with the wear on one tire. Thought it was an axle alignment problem, that seemed the most logical explanation. Turned out to be a bad tire, the tread had separated.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Andy if you still have Mission tires I would go with tread separation. Call Tireco and see what they will do.

Good to see you posting on the forum.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Andy, If the wear is uniform all around the tire it is probably alignment problem or axle problem. I had one wearing on one edge, BUT not all around the tire. Diagnosis is a bad tire.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Andy, I had the same problem last year with the left rear tire wearing down to nothing on the inside 1 1/2 inches. It turned out to be a bent axle, so I had it replaced. Take it to a good alignment shop and have it checked. I don't think Keystone will take responsibility for it, but you can try.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
The wear is on the inside edge of both tires on the drivers side. One tire is worn bald on the inside edge (1 1/2" to 2")and the other is wearing in a similar fashion but not as severely. It doesn’t seem reasonable that both tires would be bad and wearing in the same way, or that both axles would have similar problems.

It’s the weekend and I won’t be able to even find out if there’s an alignment shop locally until Monday, tomorrow. I really have no problem taking it to an alignment shop; my main concern is to have it properly repaired. And that was my thinking about retuning to Keystone, that the repair would be done right. I would like to think.

The tires are the originals that came with Monty although not Mission they’re Freestar, still made in China. Well maybe tomorrow I can begin to get a handle on this, it’s frustrating not knowing the cause of the problem, if I can get it resolved in a reasonable time frame and if there is a capable shop locally to do it. I do appreciate your help thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Andy--I had an axle alignment problem that resulted in wear on the inside of one tire and the outside of the other tire on the axle. Turned out to be a sheared bolt holding the spring in the hanger. This was on the rear axle. I noticed the tire separation between the right and left sides was not the same. I found the wear problems on the tires. I had about 20,000 miles on the tires that really looked terrible but did not fail. Needless to say, I went to a trailer shop who correctly diagnosed the problem, fixed the sheared bolt, welded the "Mor-ryde X" bracing between the spring hangers on the front and back and I got new tires (4). I don't know what Mor-ryde charges for their X-factor--I ended up with the same thing via a good trailer shop in San Antonio.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:31 AM   #9
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I would bet that the problem is not the tires but the axles. I had mission tires on mine and put at least 20,000 miles on them with no problems. I always check the tires before and after each trip and in between if it is a long trip. My tire problem happened sometime on an 1,800 mile trip. All the other tires were in good shape except the one which had worn down to nothing on the inside. After the repairs and new tires we took a 6,000 mile trip with no problems and the tires are wearing just fine. Good luck to you Andy.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
It just occurred to me that maybe I didn’t make it clear, but the wear pattern on both tires is the same and they’re both on the same side of the rig, two different axles come into play. To me that seems extremely odd. The same wear pattern on the same side and both axles.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
The axles should have about 1/2-3/4 bow in the top. If you take a straight edge and lay it on the bottom of the axle u should see the gapon top.Straight axle means bent. you can even eyeball it and see the arc. About $200 to fix for me
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Andy, having the exact same problem I can pretty much guarantee you have a couple of bent axles. Think back and see if you remember taking a hard bounce in the past. I caught a very hard bounce on a RR crossing last summer on the way home in Wisconsin, and when I got here to SC I found the same situation you are speaking of. I took it to an alignment shop and they got it park way back to original specs but they needed to use their hard mount alignment bay which was busy at the time. I will return to them when we get ready to hit the road again... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Hi gang,
I've already replaced all 4 tires (goodyear marathon) after about 10,000 miles. Goodyear replaced them under warranty. They were all wearing on the shoulder, inside and out. When I turn into a park or to park for lunch, I noticed that the axles actually are missaligned with the rig, but when the rig is pulled only slightly straight again, they return to normal tracking. I was told by a Monty dealer that if they didn't do that, the wheels would pop off the axle.
Now after another about 8,000 miles the tires are showing the same wear pattern. Maybe someone at the ralley can analyze this problem for me.
See you soon.
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
Jim B
Established Member

M.O.C. #1566
I had all four tires wearing on the inside treads. I had the axles aligned in Canada in 2007. Installed four new tires and haven't had any problems since. You more then likely need axle alignmnet. Good Luck.
Jim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have to agree with the bent axles. We also have the 07 3400. The kitchen side is just over 1000 pounds heavier than the other side, on our rig. And the weight on that rear wheel is the most of any of the four wheels.

The first half of the 2007 3400's came with 6,000 lb axles. At the mid-model year point (about December 2006) they switched to 7,000 lb axles. I'd bet you have the 6000 lb axles. We did, too. We eventually got tired of paying for axle correction and wearing out tires. At that point we had a company in Goshen, IN (not Keystone) replace our axles/springs/brakes with the 7,000 lb axles. That was July 2008. We've had no more axle problems since.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #16
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
OK all, I have one tire on the Monty, front passenger side, where the tread is wearing fast on the outside edge. Bad tire or an axle? All the other tires appear to be wearing fine.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #17
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Bob,
The first thing you need to check is if the wear is all the way around. If is is just part of the way you probably have a bad tire. If all the way you may have a bent axle
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:07 AM   #18
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I had the same problem, and I have a friend with the same unit I have (2006 2955RL) and he has the same problem, too. Axle alignment at a frame shop cured mine, but it's a Problem Keystone needs to address.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We replaced the axles with heavier axles, heavier springs, MorRyde suspension, wet-bolt kit, shackles and tires. Tire wear is now acceptable.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #20
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Ours was killing both tires on one side. Had excellent tread in Houston; drove to San Antonio (130 miles); tires were BALD. Took the trailer in and got an alignment. Been about 2 years and 10000 miles and showing no signs of wear at all.

It only cost $250 for the alignment, but well worth it.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote