Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
GFI Outlet Tripping

Good Morning All,

Just returned to Wichita from Iowa. While up in Iowa, the electrical system in our 2006 344 Montana was fine. After 24 hours, I discovered a living room outlet was dead. Further investigation revealed that this living room outlet, the outside outlet (both on the same wall), the outlet in the kitchen and both outlets (one is the GFI "breaker") in the bathroom area were dead. It was also "interesting" to note that the ceiling fan and light in the living room area are ALSO on this same GFI circuit.

I'd hit the reset on the GFI and sometimes it would instantly trip again, or it would hold for 30 seconds. I've verified everything was unplugged or off. I called my RV shop down here in Wichita and based on what I told him, they said they would start off by replacing the GFI outlet. Did that, and got the same results. Sometimes it would trip right away, other times it would hold for 30-45 seconds.

Checked voltages (118-121), swapped shore power to another power post, and still have the same problem.

Suggestions??? I do have a VOM and know how to use it, just need to know where to "go stick the probes"!!

jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Since it involves the outside outlet I am pretty sure that it is wet. If you want to check it take out the screws holding it to the side of the rig and wiggle it off the side. Look for loose caulk around the whole outlet, chances are that you will find a small area wher it was not sealing. The outlet is most likely wet inside. If so than just dump any standing water out of it and let it air dry. When you remount it use either the butyl tape or bed it in a good silicone caulk. I have found that the butyl tape works best as it is highly sticky and very durable... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
It is very likely that you have a loose ground wire. Start checking each fixture. Tighten each wire so you know it is as it should be. We found several slightly loose wires when we checked ours. It did fix the problem.

Of course the wet thing (that Dave mentioned) could be all the problem. We've had that happen too. Just dry it out really well and fix the leak. You should then be OK.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Check juncture boxes under your slides too, open them up

TURN OFF POWER FIRST!!!!

Many have found water in them, lots of water.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have had the same problem and like Exnavydiver said it was the outside outlet getting wet. A little caulk and the problem was solved.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had the problem after a washing and found the outlet box in the outside refer compartment was getting wet, after several tries drying it out with a hair dryer, it worked. Of course, it could be any of the above problems. Also, of course, it would have had to have had a rain or driving thru standing water for it to be a wet circuit....Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
If you do not find any water in your exterior outlet, you may want to check your hot and neutral connections on all outlets within that GFCI circuit as it checks for an imbalance of current between the hot and neutral circuits.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
So...GFCI = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter and has a current sensor that trips if any current is detected on the ground side, all return current must go back on the neutral wire. As others have said since you just replaced it odds are its something like a loose ground or water... Let us know what you find as we need to add it to our knowledge base.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
A GFCI will operate with or without a ground.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I stand corrected...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Now that I think about it, I did drove through some rain on our way up to Iowa on Wednesday. Will dig in to the junction boxes tomorrow after work. Looked at all the outlets on Thursday when I found the GFI outlet tripped and wouldn't reset, and they all looked o.k., but then again, the outlets are not the normal screw on terminals!! They're the wire pinch type that as you press the wire on to the "connector", the connector has knife-edges that pierce the insulation, down to the conductor.

Will let everyone know what I find. But has anyone else found their living room ceiling fan/light hooked in to their GFI circuit???

John
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jchw,
John our fan is hooked to the GFI. I think that is pretty much standard with the Montanas. We have an 2002 model 3295RK.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I had the OS receipt go bad and the one in the bathroom. I started replacing them all because they are the kind that sqeeze over the wire. The good kind you wrap the wire around the screw. I guess with all the bouncing and excess moisture causing bad contacts was enough for me.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, this is a common practice for an RV; to connect everything in an area on the same circuit. Unlike stick houses where they will put outlets on some circuit breakers and lights on other circuit breakers, trailers seem to do this practice based on location of outlets or lights or accessories and put them on the same circuit.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We had a similar thing happen to our trailer. The junction box on the frame and under the big slide had water in it and was shorting out.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote