Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Grey Water Leak

Sitting in the sales yard of Mid America RV in Carthage, MO where we have an appointment at 8:30 a.m. to have a leak repaired in the gray water holding tank. Only leaks when it is full or near full. Rig is nine (9) years old. What a run!

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Orv,
Have you considered asking the repair center if they could add support straps to both the gray and black tanks while they are exposed? I did both tanks at home and it only took a half hour. If they would, and it's not too expensive, it might save future grief on both tanks.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have a leak in our shower/sink gray water tank when 2/3 full. CW is just going to replace the tank under warranty.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I've noticed both the galley tank and the gray water tank on our unit have begun to leak when they are full. And we haven't been on the road in months. I accidentally left the gray water tank valve closed last time I flushed the black tank. When it got full, water ran out of the belly covering. Never done this before. If it ain't one thing going wrong, it is something else. I think a stick house down here may be in our future!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

...........................I accidentally left the gray water tank valve closed last time I flushed the black tank.
Will,

I'm confused (not something unusual). What does the gray water tank valve being closed while emptying the black tank have to do with a leak in the gray tank?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

...........................I accidentally left the gray water tank valve closed last time I flushed the black tank.
Will,

I'm confused (not something unusual). What does the gray water tank valve being closed while emptying the black tank have to do with a leak in the gray tank?
I usually open the gray tank back up as soon as I'm through flushing the black tank, so it never fills, unless we don't have a sewer connection. My failure to open it back up resulted in it filling up and backing up in the shower which hasn't happened in some time. That resulted in the leak showing up.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WorkerB

Orv,
Have you considered asking the repair center if they could add support straps to both the gray and black tanks while they are exposed? I did both tanks at home and it only took a half hour. If they would, and it's not too expensive, it might save future grief on both tanks.
John
John,
When we had our black water tank replaced a couple years ago, the strapping was fine. On our grey water tank, you can't hardly get it out of its place. It fits snugly between two pieces of the frame that are located the correct distance apart to accept the tank. We've traveled over 100,000 miles and never had a problem.

Incidentally, since I told the repair center that the grey water tank was leaking, they took it out, inspected it closely and are presently filling it up with water. It appears that the valve had a very slight leak in it. That was the only possibility of a leak that could be found. We're having a new valve put in.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Excellent! I spoke to the tank manufacturer a couple of months ago and they said Keystone was not strapping in the tanks. There are so many posts concerning leaking holding tanks. It's good to hear Keystone is spending the extra money to do the job right. Good luck on your leaking valve.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I believe that Orv has a 2000 year unit?? If he had straps, even on his black, that is something many of us do not have.

Have heard that the newer units have straps, but, have NOT seen that during any plant tour we have taken at Keystone/Montana. And, we have taken that tour for 5 years running at the Fall Rally.

Have heard the same story, that the manufacturer says strap em in. Know of at least one SOB that DOES strap em in, saw it with mine own eyes.

Don't understand, it would take so little time to do this right. But, then, I don't understand a lot these days.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The black and the grey tanks are the same tank. The have different inlets and outlets but they are the same size..At least in the 06 3400. The folks that replaced my cracked black tank told me there is a seal right where the down pipe goes into the black tank. In my 3400 it is just under the floor level in the right compartment. They said it was " cost effective" read cheap and they replaced it with one from Home depot. I am guessing that that is the cause of the..leaks when the tank is full..problem.. I was also told by the tank folks that the tanks are designed to be strapped in.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Both my grey tanks are being replaced. Last one was being plumbed and put back in this afternoon. Both sprung leaks where they connected to the incoming plumbing. Both leaked only when full. Replaced under my extended warranty.

Will be able to pick the Montana up after Lippert sends the new hydraulic valve block - sent out today - (that also is under a 5 yr warranty) to my service tech. Also did the Dometic recall fix while it was in the shop.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:03 AM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
My Mountaineer 04 had the shower tank replaced last year after a piece of junk on the road got flipped up and went through the tank. I was able to view the take out and put in of the tank and my Mounatineer has no straps . The tanks have a bracket, as long as the tank on both sides to hold them in place. I think this is a better mount than the strap thing.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Both sprung leaks where they connected to the incoming plumbing. Both leaked only when full. Replaced under my extended warranty." Dave that is exactly were the "cost effective" seal is. Make sure they do not put the OEM one back in. At first they did on mine when replaced and it leaked.. Had have it replaced with a better seal.

Glad to hear the Service contract took care of it. That should have just about paid for the contract..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rich. You are the one who steered me to that extended warranty company. I am not sure if these new oneshad the old seals. I will be picking up out Montana as soon as I am out of the hospital. Been having 2 "wash" procedures on my shoulder. Been here for 4 days. I am heading home tomorrow and the Montana is ready. I will try to find out what tank was sent to us. He did do his own plumbing with extra parts. Shipping for the 2 tanks was only $70. Much less that we thought, so I am happy about that.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote