Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Help! new chevy lost power Now fixed & on the road

Is there anyone around Rapid City SD?

Is there anyone that knows anything about power loss in the duramax (2007.5 new epa emission crap)?

Is there anyone that knows how to trick the computer so I can continue on with my trip?

Yes I know disconnect the battery, do I have to disconnect both? Isnt there a single connection that will do the trick.
thanks
chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chuck, I would check the MOCTAP page to see if there is anyone in your area that could offer assistance. I have the new 08 chevy with about 4000 miles and no probs to date......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I just checked, no one listed for SD MOCTAP. Chuck, I have the 2007 classic, have not had that problem. But if you think it can be reset by disconnection the battery, you will need to disconnect both. If that does not work, I try replacing the fuel filter. If still having the problem, then I'd take it to a dealer.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I agree the fuel filter would be my suggestion for the first place to look. How many miles are on the truck? Original filter still?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I have 13,048 on this truck. The fuel filter has never been changed. It is only a few months old.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Thanks to all of you. The 1 thing that I know is that it was running fine earlier and Onstar stated it could be a problem if I was in deep waater. I waited to answer because I could only thing of another thought. I finally answered no water issue just near zero visibility thus heavy moist air. Onstar then states that could be your problem. So now I'm driving a truck that can't go out when it rains. Yea Onstar mechanical issues are not your strong points. Guys I'll be in the dealership in the morning and have them fix it I hope.
Chuck
Old 05-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
If you don't carry an extra fuel filter, I would start. All it takes is one bad batch of fuel and you're on the side of the road waiting for help. I carry two with me along with the WIF(?) wrench to remove water from the base of the filter. Don't remember the name, I just got up and haven't had my coffee yet.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
If it didn't throw a CEL, using the SWAG method I would change the fuel filter. Everyone should always carry extra fuel filter. Also I have read that in some cold areas there is a problem with some part of the Air filteration system. Go to Diesel Place and do a search and post your problem. They might have a answer for you. I haven't had a problem but only have about 8,000 miles. Good Luck... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:42 AM   #9
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

If you don't carry an extra fuel filter, I would start. All it takes is one bad batch of fuel and you're on the side of the road waiting for help. I carry two with me along with the WIF(?) wrench to remove water from the base of the filter. Don't remember the name, I just got up and haven't had my coffee yet.
Ozzie,
I have the fuel filter changed at each oil change and carry a spare fuel filter in hopes that someone else will know how to change it. It never occured to me that you need a special wrench. After you have had your coffee; I would like to know what kind of wrench is needed to change the fuel filter.

Grant aka BirdingRVer
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
If you have 13,000 miles on the truck and it has the original filter and the truck hasn't thrown a code, then the first choice would be replace the fuel filter.
Disregard what the DIC shows about remaining per cent of filter.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
hehe...I have had my coffee now...

No special wrench for the filter itself, but it is a bugger to get at. I carry a small step stool and need it for positioning under the hood.

The tool I am referring to is for the water separator that is in the bottom of the fuel filter. It also serves as a drain for the water in the fuel if loosened. This separator is unscrewed and moved to the new filter, no parts required as long as you don't damage it.
Some will remove it with a channel lock pliers (again, as long as no damage it's fine), but I carry a WIF wrench that fits on it.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #12
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Guys now that I've had a couple of hours of sleep & it's not raining cats & dogs I'll check the filter.

Also on the old ford when I had a water issue it would a message "water in fuel" or something similar.
Doesn't Chevy do the same? Throwing a engine icon on the dash is not very helpful. Some owners are not mechcanics.
I can do some things like drain water or prime the diesel but please GM give me a little help on which area to start at.
As always thanks to you guys it's helpful to have support and some ideas coming at me.
I had thought of the water issue but OnStar stated the code it threw was for water.
What I remember Her stating is that once the trucks engine "dried out" the power issue would be gone & the truck would preform as it had always performed. Flawlessly.
Ozzie, Delaine and Lindy does this makes sense?
Delaine & Lindy the air intake that you suggest is what I believe Onstar to be talking about.
I'll contact Onstar and have them give me the code it thru.
OnStar will not release the actual codes to us the owners. What?
They will tell us what the see as the problem.
In my case emissions system has malfuntioned you may continue to drive as the ES may or may not effect the drivetrain.

So there you go, as I see it the ES on this chevy just went and screwed up. Now from everything that I've read this isn't "supposed" to happen. Drive normal, long drives where the DA can perform are recommended.
Let me see I'm driving as normal as I can see.
Sorry for the rant.
Thanks
Chuck
ps dealership is open and mechanics will check it out as soon as the wrecker gets it there.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #13
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Let's try this again - did you have a check engine light on and OnStar said it was a water code? There are code readers (about $70 at many parts stores) to see for yourself what they are (then look up the code online), and also there are some parts stores that can hook one up for you and find out what it is (usually for free).

Seeing how you've stated you are not the mechanical type, at this point I would have the dealer fix it for you to get you on the road again. My bet is you have excess water trapped in the fuel filter (it has a reservoir for water), or the fuel filter is plugging up, or both.
The accepted practice on the diesel forums is to change the fuel filter every 10k miles, so a fresh filter would likely take care of both issues.

My advice would be to learn how to change that fuel filter and how to drain the water from the water separator in that filter (we can help).
If you are unable to do that, then at least carry one or two filters with you so you can have someone else change it for you.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:03 AM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
If it's already headed to the dealer, watch them change the filter.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I'm very interested in this outcome...curious minds and all that...
Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Ozzie no filter problems, all computer problems.
Per the mechanic & his pc and my DA.
Quoted from invoice
NO power will not go over 20mph (actually 10mph & will not tow RV up incline)
Diag SES light code P0406.
Found programming update in ECM
reprogrammed ECM code 11FDI
Test Drove & relearned EGR
SES light out

now for everyone
PIP4147C: Duramax diesels with SESlight and DTC P0402 - key words 6.6 air diesel egr engine excessive exhaust flow gas gasket intake leak LMM low Maf noise power recirculation rough valve - (Jan 8, 2008)

My DA needed 9 updates when I get back home I'll scan these pages that the dealer printed for me and send them to anyone that wants this info.
Thanks guys the the help. I thought for sure that I was stuck until after the holiday. Someone is definitely watching out for me as I should be back on the road after a quick shower.
Thanks again
Chuck
Old 05-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Wow...so it was the LMM diesel...thanks for the update. Gotta love computers sometimes, eh?

Did you have the fuel filter changed while you were there? What I said b/4 about 10k miles to change them out still holds true.
Don't hit the road without a spare...

I'm glad it worked out for you. Nothing like a little setback on the road to wake a person up.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #18
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I changed my fuel filter at 11,600 miles, and the DIC said I had 22% of life remaining. If you do the numbers, it would have said to change it at almost 15,000.

There is a "WATER IN FUEL" message that comes on in the DIC.

As for the code reader...why buy one, that's what Onstar and the 100k warranty are for.

Every now and then, when I get bored, I reread the manual...lots of what we have been talking about is in there.

On edit...the manual mentioned above is the Duramax supplement, not the regular manual.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
As far as the actual number of miles between these filter changes, much depends on the quality of fuel a person is getting. The 10k I referred to is from the diesel forums where they have been cutting them open to examine them. That's much more ambitious than myself, so I'll be happy to use their recommendation as well as carry spares.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Ozzie, the fuel filter was unable to change the fuel filter the dealership was too busy to mess with that. There were three other veicles that came in on wreckers after I arrived. There were probably 12 mechanics working and they were all working non-stop.

I can turn wrenches when I need to, last night was just not a time when I was willing to be under the hood. It was pouring rain and I only had basic tools. I wanted to keep to weight down with fuel prices soaring, so I did not carry the neccesary tools for working on this truck.

Now after the new updates were put on my RPMs are lower at higher speeds while pulling this fifth-wheel. The mileage should be improving now. Running 67 mph at 1700 RPMs. Where before the RPMs were at or close to 2000. It is also great to travel with the internet in the truck. It is a lifesaver for anything that comes up. I would recommend it for anyone and everyone.