Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
On the road

Travel pulling a 40 foot 5th wheel trailer is, well, interesting. You look at the big 18 wheelers, long and tall, and think how much of a challenge it must be to herd that thing down the road, maneuver in towns and park the thing. We found that our truck and Montana fifth wheel trailer is just as long, and just as tall. We are bouncing down the road as I type this, 60 miles an hour, with a 35 mile an hour tailwind. One of the very few times we have had such a nice push on our journey North. The 18 wheelers pass, my wife flashes our lights to let them know they cleared us, they pull in our lane and blink their tail lights in thanks. They know exactly where all their corners are, maybe it is just a way of saying hi. When on a Citizens band radio, you can hear them say; “your clear driver” when in such a maneuver. They call each other ‘driver.’
I remember highlights of the many trips home from South Padre we have made, we enjoy the Arbuckle mountain crossing in Oklahoma, not too far from the North Texas border, also the **Flint hills of Kansas.
I recall a busy truck stop where we filled our tank, somewhere in mid-Texas, a dusty 2 acre lot with truck scales, showers for the truckers, a large shop that had C.B. radios, flares, fuses, clothing and a sit down restaurant. There was a ‘command center’ in the main entrance where the call came in over the C.B. radio for the scales, and where the truckers paid for fuel and supplies. It was staffed by two women, their demeanor was hardened by the many years they had dealt with the rough drivers, they were as tough as rawhide. I was standing in a short line waiting for my turn to pay, listening to the interaction between the women and the truckers. It was my turn to pay, I stood meekly offering my credit card for my purchase, one of the women looked at me with steely eyes and said “We don’t get many men around here with Pink shirts on” I said; “We don’t get many cattle trucks on South padre Island,” she looked at me for a second, shifted the toothpick to the other side of her mouth, and smiled ever so slightly. I beat it to the exit door wincing, as my Crocks squeaked every step of the way.
There is a reason so many retirees hit the road with their Rv’s, doesn’t matter how expensive and luxurious, or small and cramped we travel, the air is just as pure in the mountains, the ocean just as beautiful to all of us. We feel a kinship to each other on the roads, stop and help each other when in need, and love the exchange of stories all of us have to share.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbuckle_Mountains
** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_Hills

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Good story Ozz, and oh so true. Be safe.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Ozz, you have an amazing writing talent. I am so glad you share it with us.
Have a safe journey!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All was ok in my reading until I got to the crocks squeaking - then I lost it in laughter.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
OZZ did you know that at many truck stops if you buy 50 or more gallons of diesel you can get a free shower.....I'm glad you didn't try that with your pink shirt on!!!
I never tried it as my Monty was always nicer.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz, A truck stop, pink shirt and squeaking crocks don't mix.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Jim, Enjoyed the story. Happy travels. Those winds that were pushing you north today were in our face playing havoc with the MPG as we travel south. Yep, we are finally, 5 months late, going to Texas. DW is all better now and we are going for a look-see. Blink if you see the big SOB. Bob

ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

It takes a real man to wear a pink shirt and Crocs at the same time. I have a brother in Florida that has baby blue Crocs and what ever shirt to his staff meetings for his restaurant chain. His son tells him that he can't wear that to the meetings. My brother grins.... and then tells DS "Yes I can I write the payroll checks." I am sure you looked real cute in the pink shirt....and your feet loved the Crocs.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ozz, I teach, or try to teach, the basics of good writing to high school seniors. By the time they reach me, they should already know how to write. The majority of them don't (something I could write a book about but won't, at least not here).

There's one written-in-stone aspect of writing: Either a writer has "voice," or he doesn't. Because it's so personal, voice cannot be taught. It is the writer's personality emerging through his diction, syntax, organization, and a multitude of other things. Voice brings writing to life, and if the reader recognizes the voice behind the pen (or computer), the writer has has been successful in translating his personality to the written word.

You have voice, Ozz. You also have the icing on the cake--timing. Your phrasing of " . . . she looked at me for a second, shifted the toothpick to the other side of her mouth, and smiled ever so slightly. I beat it to the exit door wincing, as my Crocks squeaked every step of the way. . . " was perfect. I bet you could deliver those lines with a perfectly deadpan expression, too, while your audience rocked with laughter!

I enjoy reading your musings, especially when you're musing about my part of the country (Texas Hill Country). Now that you've encountered some of the mid-Texas truck stop gals with their steely eyes and their "I say what I think and if you don't like it, too bad" attitudes, you probably have a clearer idea about how the West was won. Be glad that ol' gal didn't remove her toothpick and spit a big wad of tobacco at you. The Crocks would have survived, but the shirt would have been a goner.

About those winds--we are having the worst winds in southwest Montana than we've had in years, so come on up if you want the wind to drive you down the road. I've only been here since 2002, but I can tell the difference in the wind intensity between that time and today. The natives out here in Horse Prairie say the past 8 or 9 months have had some of the hardest, most unrelenting winds in memory. Yesterday and today the winds were in excess of 45 mph off and on; visibility in some areas around me, because of blowing dust, was nearly zero. Yesterday at Monida Pass (I-15 between Clark Canyon Reservoir and the Idaho border), several big rigs were blown off the road by high winds. That's the second time in 2 months that Monida Pass has seen winds and accidents like that. Visibility was also zero in the pass area because of heavy snow.

Well, I have really digressed here. I just wanted to tell you that we enjoy reading about your travels, and we especially enjoy the "Ozz" that comes through your writing.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thank you Carolyn, I enjoy putting pen to paper, so to speak, I would like to write more, but I do feel like I need an editor. I know nothing about composition, nor could I give anyone a description of verbs, adverbs, pronouns, or the like. I think this would be the equivalent of someone doing various mods without many tools. Thank goodness for the spell checker on my computer, or my writings would be a bumpy ride, indeed.
Maybe you could sign on as my editor and agent.... Oh, and you must have had the window open, a bug flew in from that stand of Aspen behind you.
Thanks again.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You got a tailwind, Jim? I wondered who is getting those. We have taken care of the headwinds so you don't have to worry about those.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote