Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John Hogan, where are you????????

John and Christa are headed to the RGV just behind us.
John called us, he was just South of Wichita Kansas, had a flat on the trailer. He had AAA or Good Sam's on the way to change the tire. That was about 9:00 yesterday morning. He said he would call us later in the afternoon, didn't call. I called them, no answer, I expected them to arrive here last night sometime.
Hope they are Ok.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz, they got the tire fixed on the side of the road by Good Sam. They repaired the tire on the spot. Guess he got a person that had it together. However they had to wait over 3 hours before anyone showed up. Then he pulled into the camp ground that afternoon and the tree limbs broke those new vent covers that he just put on. Plus messed up some of the molding. He was not a very happy camper. He was going to try and make it to his place tonight.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Dennis. Poor guy.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Thanks for the update...I was starting to worry about our bud.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
So did they get there ok Ozz?

...sure wish I was down there with you guys...we'd get John fixed right up...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John and Christa were planning on driving the second leg of the trip all the way to Mission, I haven't heard from him yet. Yep, we would be all over that rig....
Old 10-22-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
They call us last night and they made it to their place OK. The camp ground owner where the limb hurt their unit had a RV maintenance person check out their unit and he found the roof had been ripped. Told John he would need a new roof. He patched up the roof and replaced the vent. Camp ground owner told John he did not have any insurance.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Ok guys not to cause problems but to ask a question. Aren't we as owners responsible for our own units? Thus when we put our unit into a site we need to check it out first, thus we as owners take responsibility.
Now I do feel for anyones misfortune but unless the campground owner said park here and "He" was directing you where to go, it is the owner of the rvs problem.
John, I wish you many better days in the future. Nothing I stated is meant to be harmful / hurtful, just my views. I also hope your rv gets fixed in short order with no other problems.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I had the same question brewing as I was thinking about this today.
There was another thread recently about tree limbs and a damaged roof at a campground.
It is a great topic...just who is responsible for the damage?
On the one hand, you are in control of your own vehicle, but on the other, the campground is putting you in a spot (sometimes they lead you). You'd think they would have to provide space with enough room to get situated.
I dunno...I can see both sides to it, but have to lean towards a person being responsible for his own vehicle.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Not to the legality, cause a legal eagle, I am not.

But, common sense and a questioning mind ask:

How many rigs does an owner get to put in a site with low hanging branches before he ethically feels like cutting same low hanging branches??

OR: He does not realize that this tree has branches that are that low and that large that they rip roofs??

OR: how bout, just how many roofs does he set in his sick mind to have ripped to shreds a year?? Does he have a quota??

OR: you mean to tell me that our Montana's are THAT much higher than all the other rigs on the road, and that none of them rip their roofs in that campsite??

I think I am having a DUH moment, anyone got some adult liquid meds for me??

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
It is the campgrounds business to provide a site for the customer.
If they cannot fulfill the accommodations properly, are they not in some way responsible?
It seems to me they wouldn't stay in business long letting people get damage on their property.

Forums like this...all you'd have to do is let out the name of the place and it'll spread.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If I were to open an RV park, I would insure that all rigs would fit, if I had low hanging-anything, I would remove them, and would expect to pay damages if I did not.
The reasonable person doctrine; would a reasonable person expect to not get his vent covers and roof ripped by something in his business that caters to RV's???
We expect that to be so. Now, If there were clearances posted at the gate....well, that's another matter.
Damn bugs, they are everwhere......
Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I watch a couple with a KZ Escalade back into a spot across from us. He stopped, got out a tree limb trimmer(cutter/saw blade) on a pole and cut back some low hanging branches. That is probably something worth taking on a trip to CGs where you haven't been before.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Just don't try that at a state campground...those people don't have much of a sense of humor about those things.
I've been known to do a little trimming to get set properly (discreetly of course). I figure if I need it, someone else will too.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We don't carry saws, no no no!!

As Ozzie pointed out, state and national parks take big exceptions to cutting. Lots of private ones do too.

What we do, is stop, and go get the park officials. Tell them we cannot park with that limb there. SO far, note the disclaimer there , when informed there is a problem, they send down some kid who is still wet behind the ears with some kind of saw, with or with out POWER, ZOOM ZOOM!! They usually slaughter the limb more than Al and I would, rip, tear, pull, yank, and a little cutting.

BUT, THEY ARE APPROVED to cut that limb, and we are not! So, let em rip!

Course, that does not help our friend John and his current problems. Sorry bout this mess John! You have our empathy.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
In our case, it wasn't a low hanging branch, but the tree itself. The CG had gone on a massive tree trimming campaign over the summer and did a great job. Our prolem was that I couldn't see the tree and Karen was busy watching the rear making sure I was on our site. It was our fault totally and to blame the CG would be totally inappropriate. The repairs have been done and once we get back North in the spring, we will see if we need the roof replaced.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Seems I am once again in disagreement with the majority.
Ever since my days of driving truck I have learned one very important lesson. When it comes to low clearance damage the DRIVER is always responsible. The driver is always responsible to know the situation around his/her rig at all times.
I would never back into or pull thru a site without first getting out of the TV and giving everything a thorough once over. First of all I always need to know exactly where all the connections are located so as not to back over any of them. I also check for any obstacles that could prevent slide openings. I always check for low hanging or protruding obstacles as well. If there is any chance of any problem I am totally aware of that possibility and I have Lorraine watch that area as I proceed slowly into the site.
A campground is no different than State or Local hiway departments.
We all know there are many low bridges out there just waiting to catch some RVer unaware. We all know there are low hanging wires out there just waiting for us to rip them off the pole. We all know there are low hanging tree limbs out there just ready to rip our rubber roofs. In no case is the hiway department responsible if you tangle with any one of these obstacles, the DRIVER is responsible. Not the state or local hiway dept, only the driver. Sorry but that is just a fact of life on the road.

Ethically maybe the CG owner should have these obstacles removed. Ethically the CG owners should also upgrade that sewer system, Ethically the CG owners should also upgrade the electrical system, Ethically the CG owners should also upgrade the water connections. And how about adding or upgrading that cable TV. AND most important what Ethical CG owner doesn't have WIFI with a HI signal to every site in the park.

ETHICALLY Responsible?----YES, Financially Responsible?----NO WAY.

BTW--I do carry a tree limb trimmer(cutter/saw blade) on a pole and I have on many occasions put it to use. Most times the CG owner was only to happy for me to provide this free service and he even cleaned up the trimmings.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can't speak for every campground but as wagon master for our local camping group for several years we always asked campgrounds we booked what insurance coverage they had. Without exception they had liability insurance to cover injury claims by campers and most of the reputable and the ones that wanted to stay in business had insurance to cover damage to your camper.Assuming that a camper owner has insurance on their camper why would a CG carry damage insurance..simple.. many camper owners do not have insurance on the camper and would sue the C.G for damages..It was cheaper for the C.G to have the insurance.We have, on many occasions, when on the road, had the C.G folks come to the site with chain saws and or limb clippers before we would attempt to get in the site.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #19
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
When we are pulling into a tight space, my wife always exits the TV and keeps an eye on the TT so we do not wind up doing damage as it is impossible to see everything while trying to park!

One instance in Carlsbad, NM, we just kissed a tree with the awning. Had she not been watching, I would have torn the whole awning off.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #20
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We hit a low limb in South Dakota years ago and ripped our roof on our previous 5th wheel. I patched it with duck tape until we got home. We had our insurance replace the roof (AAA). The bad part is they saddled us with a 3 point accident on my record claiming it was my fault (my responsibility).
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote