Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
JackHI
Established Member

M.O.C. #938
Noisy Flush

The "john" in my 2004 2955RL made such a racket when flushed that I complained to Thetford via e-mail. The water coming into the bowl was very loud, sounded like it was mixed with air. I probably woke up my neighbors a few times during the night.
I have the model 31687. Debby Morey at Thetford/Norcold customer service (DMorey@norcold.com) passed my complaint to the Quality Manager and within a short time I had two new valves. Each was modified somewhat differently, internally, and I was asked to install each of them and to choose the more quiet one. This I did and was pleased with the one which was the most quiet. I am very satisfied with Thetford's response. If anyone has this problem, I believe they would get favorable response from Debby.

JackHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome to the MOC Family and Thanks for that great post about Thetford.

We knew Montana was always stepping up to the plate to solve/correct any problems with our rigs. Than we heard about the rep from Lippart also being there for us. Now we have Debbie at Thetford. Think I'm gonna start a list of these customer [s]service[/s] satisfied techs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, JackHi -

Glad to get those supplier names. Never know when one may need them. Glenn, I too am recording them in my Outlook Contacts under RV resources. I make extensive use of the categories under Outlook for when my CRS kicks in.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:54 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
JackHI, thank you for Debby's name and email address. Earlier this month we replaced our toilet with an Aqua Magic V that has the identical problem to yours, a very noisy water inlet. Ours is a slightly different model number, 31671. I emailed Debby last night and got an email back this morning requesting some numbers off the toilet. The new valve is on the way and should arrive in 5 to 7 business days. I'm not sure if they're sending one valve or two, she didn't mention that. Just in case, is there an easy way to identify which of the valves was the quieter for you? If she sends two, I'll start with that one. Don't spend a lot of time on that, I just thought maybe one has a red something or other and the other is black, something simple like that.

Also, what's involved with changing the valve?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:31 AM   #5
JackHI
Established Member

M.O.C. #938
SRegile, Great to hear my post was of some value to you. The factory engineer at Thetford sent two valves as I mentioned. The only markings on them was the date. The date was a few days before I received the valves, so he had apparently just modified them. The latest date was the one that was quietest.
I had to remove the "john" to get at the valve mounting screws. My model is plastic so it wasn't heavy and the valve is held with, I think, one screw and the flushing lever. Easy fix.
JackHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I took a look at it on the back of ours. I'll have to remove the john, also. That's not a big deal, I just replaced the old with the new one a couple of weeks ago. Thanks again for the tip.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
steve...did you have a problem with the old one? or just an upgrade?
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BillyRay, the cable broke on the water fill cable. I had previously purchased a kit to replace the cables, dug it out, saw there there's 47 steps involved including removing the toilet and dismantling it. It also, per the instructions, would require about three hands to hold everything in place during a couple of steps. I didn't want to dismantle it on the dining table and it was 31 degrees outside, too cold for working on it outside, and we were pulling out the next day trying to get out of town before the ice storm hit. So I bit the bullet and bought a new one. Replacing the toilet is a 15 minute job if you take a break in there somewhere. I wasted the cost of the cable kit as the new one is a different model but we really wanted out of Kansas City before the ice hit. As it turned out, we beat the ice by about an hour. An hour later and we'd have been stuck there another three days.