Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 03:53 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
SEWER LINE IN WINTER

MAN HAVE I MESSED UP! I installed a valve at the end of the sewer line to increse the tank holding size workes great..But last monday I didnt have time to dump so I shut the valve and opened the gray and galley and went on my way... well tuesday nignt it got to below 0 and gess what it froze and last night I layed under there trying to thaw and no good, the lines are froze where they come together the tanks are OK. Hope today it will thaw enough to drain..the tanks are full.

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Had a similar problem a few years ago - I wound up building a small "room" around the area with a cardboard box and then put a small electric heater in there to warm her up. A drop light or light bulb should do the same - just be sure the box doesn't get too hot !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Great idea VanMan, I tried last night to thaw with a heat gun and failed, I froze up before the thaw.. I did learn to not equalize the tanks in the winter, last year I had no problems So we learned the hard way.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I suggested that was a danger months ago. It's a shame you had to prove me right. Any chance of getting inside??? Perhaps a farmer in the area with a large machine shed???

Now that it's frozen, I suspect you will have to inspect the tubes for cracks, and if it (frost) travels up the pipe via conduction, check the tank valves for damage???
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If the valves were open to equalize then there shouldn't be a problem. I stress shouldn't, the foam enclosure will work but the lines have to be thoroughly thawed before trying to dump any more, especially the black tank.

Good Luck,

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:35 AM   #6
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Last night I got them to thaw.. with a heat gun about 2hrs all three tanks emptyed. I left them open overnight and it should be 50 Deg today and they should thaw completly and I can go under and see if any damage.. didnt look bad and no leak last night.