Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
Montana_2495
Established Member

M.O.C. #2495
how do you turn furnace on?

please, if anyone can help. how do we make the furnace work in our 2005 3400RL? don't know what to do and have set remote at 90 degrees but still nothing.

Montana_2495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:48 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Is the propane turned on?

Check the fuse. The furnace motor runs on 12 volt so check for a blown fuse on the DC side of the panel.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:50 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Turn the thermostat down as far as possible. Fan to auto...speed to high and switch to off.

Light a burner on the stove, ensure that the propane is present and flowing properly. You have now re-set the furnace.

Move the off switch to furnace, now bring the thermostat up to room temperature.

The furnce fan should start, and the propane light. You can go outside and put your hand close to the furnace exhaust. It feels hot when the propane is burning.

You should now have heat. If the furnace turns off or the exhaust is cold you have a propane flow problem. Moving the thermostat as cold as possible and waiting for 2 or three minutes, then moving to room temperature should re-set it. If that doesn't work you need to dig a lot deeper.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:43 AM   #4
Montana_2495
Established Member

M.O.C. #2495
thank you gruffy. we have done as you said. still don't work. owner's manual says unit is shipped from factory with the gas line having an on/off switch shipped in the off position. WHERE IS THAT SWITCH? fan come on but unit never fires up.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I just checked mine all over and can't find a gas valve. If no one else can shed some light on where it might be...get after your dealer.

Anyone who'd send you out on the road with the furnace turned off deserves to be shot anyhow.

Sure hope things improve for you folks from here....
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Maybe a crazy thought but could the Thermostat be mis-wired? Try a search for "Thermostat" there you should find some pic's and a color code for the proper wiring. You could pop off the Thrmostat and check this.

I don't remember who posted the info. on the Thermostat with pic's. Anybody out there remember to aide with the search?
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Found those pic's & Therm. wire codes.

Look for Members "fulltimedreamer" look under links, homepage, improvments. More info @ bottom of instructions click here as well.

A shot in the dark but maybe worth checking.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You have the dreaded Dometic remote controlled thermostat I assume? So do we. Most of what people have been writing is true of the conventional thermostats, but these remotes are a different animal altogether. Many of them seem to be away out of calibration.

They work in two ways, from the wall unit and from the remote.

First and obvious, make sure the control is switched on. There should be a pilot light on the wall unit.

Make sure you know which unit is in control, the remote or the wall unit. The remote will control it when the "I Feel" button is pressed.

I would set "I Feel" off, and work with the wall unit. Set the wall unit up to 90 and see if the furnace will start. If not, try the reverse, press "I feel" and set the remote to 90 and see if that works.

If neither work, try this. Go to you propane locker with the regulator, and switch to the tank on the regulator side (if not already there). See if that helps.

If nothing else works, join the rest of us and call both Keystone and Dometic and tell them what a ridiculous system that is. Keystone will probably just refer you to Dometic, but it won't hurt to let them know. Dometic will probably agree to send you a new remote that may work.

I think most of us with this system would like to trade it for a regular thermostat, but the wiring for these remote systems is different, and seems to feed back to an additional control box on the AC unit (not furnace). I think that box must translate the signals from the thermostat to operate the various controls. Really a very complicated way of achieving something so simple.

Let us know how you make out. (Especially if you find out how to change to a regular thermostat).

Sorry you are having this problem it is very frustrating in a new unit. (If you are near a dealer, maybe they could "lend" you another remote to try).

Good luck!

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
OntMont,

Good post, forgot about the new remote systems. What happened to the "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid} principal when they designed this?

I can understand why I need a remote for my TV, but why do I need one for my Thermostat?

I must be getting old.

Happy Camping
Old 01-03-2005, 02:47 AM   #10
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
My dealer told me that to make sure you point the remote at the thermostat on the wall or it won't work.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #11
Montana_2495
Established Member

M.O.C. #2495
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. We have tried it all. Something kicked on last night, ran about 45 seconds, it was just cold air, but then it shut off. I will call the dealer, hopefully tomorrow, if I get home from work in time. I will let you know what he says I am doing wrong!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SparxHitchinPost

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. We have tried it all. Something kicked on last night, ran about 45 seconds, it was just cold air, but then it shut off. I will call the dealer, hopefully tomorrow, if I get home from work in time. I will let you know what he says I am doing wrong!!!!
sparks - be sure you are looking at the correct symbol on the remote. The furnace "flame" looks a lot like the moisture "dropplet" if you have the humidifier unit. The remot has to be in direct line of sit to the wall thermostat. I just lay ours on the desk pointed a the wall unit and it works fine. Ours does not seem to be too far out of calibration. We just did a trip in 12 and 13 degree temps and the system worked very well. The users manuel is not very friendly, but I would suggest doing a complete reset of the remote as outline in the booklet. hope this helps.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote