Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
Battery drain during storage

We've replaced the original battery with the biggest cold amp battery we could get instead of a deep cycle. Without connecting it to AC the battery will completely drain in a week. If you leave it connected to AC you have to check the battery water level every couple of weeks. It seems the converter may keep a small charge going constantly to the battery. We think that's what ruined the first battery was our failure to observe the battery water while in storage, it ran dry and died on us. We've gone over everything we can find to make sure it's all turned off. We've even taken the rechargeable flashlight out of the cradle. Clarifing, both batteries acted the same, we're just watching this one better. Is this condition normal, figured I'd ask before getting a battery switch.

Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
babymakes3,
Don you need to really watch the water level closely. I notice you live in a relatively dry area like I do. If you leave your rig plugged into 110 the battery gets a charge all the time and in hot weather the water will cook right out of the battery. I managed to keep my originals going for a couple of years but I'm sure they died sooner than they should have because I let them get low on water several times. By the way I replaced them with some deep cycle sealed (supposedly maintenance free) batteries. I've only had them for about 7 months but so far so good.
You know they do make a product that helps keep the water in the battery. They are called "Hydro-caps" or something similar. I understand they work really well but they are a little expensive. If I go back to the regular type battery I will give them a try because I don't want to have to worry about maintaining them! Guess I'd better start saving now! :-)

Good luck,

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
The LP detector is the biggest drain on the battery and there isn't a way to turn it off. Ours usually took a couple of weeks to drain the battery before I put a battery disconnect switch in. I usually connect to shore power a couple of days before we leave on a trip to charge the battery and cool down the fridge.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:56 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
The converter should maintain 13.8 volts across the battery. Make sure that's what you've got.

How about the anti condensation switch on the refrigerator?? ... that sucks power from a battery in a hurry.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:48 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
When we first brought our unit home I too had the problem with the battery going dead in about a weeks time. There are two fixes you can do ;1) pull the fuses for the refrig. and the LP detector or ;2) install a quick disconnect battery switch. I found the battery switch to be the most convenient. For long term storage in cold weather I pull the battery and keep it inside.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Starting batteries (like You bought)are made to produce a lot of amps for a short period of time (cranking an engine). Deep Cycle batteries are made to produce a small amount of current over a long period of time (12v lighting for boondocking, etc.)

Deep Cycle batteries have much thicker plates in them and are much more tolerant to being deeply discharged and bounce back well. If a starting battery goes completely dead some of it's capacity and life is gone.

I have read in other forums that a starting battery will not perform well in an rv situation, hence the battery going dead quickly. I hate to say it but You may have just bought the wrong battery for the job.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
When I put my 3295 in storage, I simply disconnect the positive cable from the battery. Since the battery is located in the front storage compartment, it is easy to access. After dropping the landing gear, I always have to open the front compartment to get blocks, I simply lift the battery cover and undo the wing nut and remove the cable; then replace the wing nut and the top cover of the battery box.
This is much easier than trying to remove the fuse box cover inside the RV; I find that I have to use my Swiss Army Knife to undo the fuse box cover.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #8
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
When I bought my 2000 Montana 2750RK new I put two deep cycle batteries in it. I also put an additive into the acid but I can't remember the name. I know my dealer still sells it so if anyone wants the name let me know and I can call them. I keep the trailer at home and found that it took about 1-2 weeks to drain the batteries. Since then I leave it on the AC all the time. I check the batteries every few weeks and last month is the first time I had to add any distilled water to the batteries and then they were only about half an inch low. I suspect this additive is what has made the difference and would certainly add it to any new batteries I ever buy. For now mine are 4 years old and showing no signs of giving up.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #9
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
I added a battery shut off to my 5r. Beside the refer and flashlight the co detector is always on. The best way to shut all of these off is either disconnect the batteries or add a switch. I used a knife switch designed for this purpose but be sure to put them on the ground side of the batts. These switches are not insulated so you don't want them on the hot side. Unless of course you like unplanned fireworks.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote