Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
Montana_404
Established Member

M.O.C. #404
Hot water heater not working.

Hi and help again. Yesterday our washer never completed its cyclc it was still on wash with only a little bit of water in the drum. Further inspection showed there was no water coming out of the hot water tap. Our washer won't work unless both taps are running. Our hot water heater on our 2004 3295 started leaking under the drawers inside the trailer near the brass fitting coming out of heater. We replaced the anode rod that was corroded. Replaced fittings no leaking but no hot water. There is one valve to turn only one inside the trailer down by the cold water. If its down we get only a trickle of hot water and turned all the way up we get lots of cold water. Should it be up or down? Do you think a piece of sediment got into the line and is clogging the lines? Thanks you.

Montana_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jerry, ours is horizontal to get hot water. If you look at the water lines at the back of the heater, the cold comes in the bottom and the hot comes out the top. The line that goes up and down between the two is the bypass line. The valve is where that up and down line junction into the incoming cold water line. When the valve points up, parallel to the up and down bypass line, the water goes up the bypass line and out the hot water line (cold water, though) and bypasses the heater. Turn the valve to parallel the incoming water line and the water flows straight through and into the tank. So, the valve handle should align with the direction of water flow. Hope this helps. Ours is an '03 3295 but I'd bet they're the same in this respect.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:28 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
good answer! I'm sure that's all it is...I don't think it has anything to do with the problem that I had.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
Montana_404
Established Member

M.O.C. #404
Thank you for your help. I found the valve and turned it and got hot water. The pressure was very low, so I took off the brass fitting and inside was a little spring and a small plastic washer turned sideways. I just removed them and everything is working fine. I am not going to run it on gas, because like Billy Ray's water heater ours gets way to hot on gas.
Montana_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:43 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Jerry1936 you have just disabled your check valve. There is a check valve (brass) in the output line of the water heater so that when you go to bypass to winterize, the water heater does not fill with antifreeze through the outlet. If that's what you removed... the thing won't winterize properly. The good news is you have a few more weeks to find a new check valve.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote