Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Is this part available?

Due to unforeseen utter stupidity, I tore this piece of sheet metal on my trailer. This is a before picture. I don't even want to discuss the cause or post the after picture!

I think it can be replaced separately and wanted to know if anyone has had to have it replaced after a tire explosion or accident.

I forgot to mention that the sheet metal is on the LR slide so it does not extend the whole length of the trailer, just the slide.

ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Yep, ordered the J Metal from Keystone, it comes in 120 inch lengths, cost less than $40.00 but since we are in MA the crating charge was $100.00 and shipping $110.00, total $250.00, yikes but I had to get it. And yes you can replace it yourself as it is held on with screws.
This is how I got to punch the wife in the arm and say "Green One". Right in the kitchen slide.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

Yep, ordered the J Metal from Keystone, it comes in 120 inch lengths, cost less than $40.00 but since we are in MA the crating charge was $100.00 and shipping $110.00, total $250.00, yikes but I had to get it. And yes you can replace it yourself as it is held on with screws.
This is how I got to punch the wife in the arm and say "Green One". Right in the kitchen slide.
YUK! Thats exciting. The piece I need is 12' long so I may pull the panel and repair it myself and get a paint match or possibly take it to a body shop for an estimate. The panel is torn and can probably be repaired easily but getting a paint match may be troublesome. I can just see me carrying a 12' piece of metal into an auto body paint supplier and saying "Duh-can you match this paint".

Thanks for the info though.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Joeagrant
Established Member

M.O.C. #9499
Posted - Jun 06 2010 : 9:43:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JimF

YUK! Thats exciting. The piece I need is 12' long so I may pull the panel and repair it myself and get a paint match or possibly take it to a body shop for an estimate. The panel is torn and can probably be repaired easily but getting a paint match may be troublesome. I can just see me carrying a 12' piece of metal into an auto body paint supplier and saying "Duh-can you match this paint".

Try Keystone. I had to get a piece of J wrap for the front of my Monty that was twelve feet long.
Joeagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Repairing the tear is easy, but making it so it won't show isn't. I'm 99% sure the panel is made from aluminum, which requires a special welding process. And finishing aluminum (at least for me) is no where near as easy as steel. You might find what you need to fix it at a local RV center, especially if they carry Keystone.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
I did a stupid thing also. I did the body repair and looking for a color match then will look for a decal to go with the existing and go over it. The texture of that panel on mine is not smooth where as the repair area will be.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mojavemike

I did a stupid thing also. I did the body repair and looking for a color match then will look for a decal to go with the existing and go over it. The texture of that panel on mine is not smooth where as the repair area will be.
I also repaired the panel and tried to get the paint formula from Keystone without any luck. When you find a color that is close (try Wal Mart - Krylon has a lot of new colors) you can hold the spray can further away from the panel and get kind of a texture.

I picked a color that I thought was close-it wasn't but I think I will just spray all the lower panels to match because it is a lot nicer looking that the original color.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
If you can cut a small sample from somewhere, Sherwin Williams has a device that will match the paint. Pretty dang good too. Of course, if you want to spray it, you need a paint rig.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

If you can cut a small sample from somewhere, Sherwin Williams has a device that will match the paint. Pretty dang good too. Of course, if you want to spray it, you need a paint rig.
That was the problem. I checked with the folks that custom mix auto paint and they wanted a 4" x 4" sample. I also checked on getting a new part from Keystone and the shipping costs were outrageous as was stated by Jim F.

I just used sheet metal & JB weld to repair the tear and am currently painting the skirts with "Sesame Shimmer". Yum Yum!

I have a paint rig but the Krylon spray cans work pretty darn good.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You mean like this?

The piece is called a J-skirt. On ours it is also noted as "16 inch" which I assume is the height. The replacement part for the damage you see here cost $40.45 when ordered through Camping World, a Montana dealer at that location in San Marcos, CA, just a couple of months ago. They also had to replace the molding and the bracing brackets behind it, in our case. Ours came in white but I'd bet a Mountaineer dealer can get it already in the right color.

--on edit-- I guess I should have read this thread more slowly. I see you already have it fixed. Sorry.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote