Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Calgon

Does anyone know where we can buy Calgon? I have tried several stores and can't find it.

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Our grocery store (King Soopers in CO) has it but 5# boxes!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I found the liquid at our local Walmart (Borger,Texas--north of Amarillo) recently--the liquid is not messy like the powder is--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We found it at Wal Mart in the liquid form (Fayetteville, NC). Have to look closely they seem to want to hide it.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Remember it is a LAUNDRY product. Don't look in the personal beauty products aisle.

http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/calgon/
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Our nearest Walmart (located in Butte, Montana) has the liquid form of it in the section with detergents, bleach, etc.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
If you are looking for the Calgon for putting into your holding tanks to try and break down the build up, or break down the residual in the black tank, save your money and looking.
Just pick up some in-expensive laundry soap and pour it in your tanks with some liquid.
Driving down the it acts just like a large washing machine, with the soapy water sloshing around, when you arrive at your destination, just empty your tanks and clean as your cloths.
Don't try it with dish soap, crates a lot of suds, where laundry soap does not suds up a lot.
Also, just use toilet paper that is safe for septic tanks, it all breaks down.
The toilet paper in the cup with water and shake to see it break apart, who is looking in their black tank to check.
Save money, laundry soap and septic tank approved toilet paper.
Just my thoughts,
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Thanks, I'll try Walmart. You are correct, I was looking in health and beauty aisles. How much do you use of the liquid? I know 1 cup if it is powder. Thanks again
Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In different stores, I have found it in different places. The bottle is rather smaller than the typical detergents and softeners (think softeners when looking for it). On a couple occasions I asked clerks and they usually can point it out. Or the customer service desk and look up the location on the computer.

I put a cap-full and sometimes two.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
As Wayne says, a cap or two

I use ONLY when we are running, it is the agitating that really helps.

I also use in the gray and galley tanks, as it breaks up soap scum.

When we have been sitting a while, I use the Calgon AND laundry detergent in the black tank. No additional soap in the gray or galley, they already are soaped up.

It is a different product from laundry detergent, great combo!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #11
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Well I use the powered Calgon and Dawn dishwashing detergent. I had picked this hint up on one of the RV sites about seven years ago.It works both when travelling and sitting(like five months) in Yuma. The dishwashing soap cuts the grease and the laundry soap doesn't. Just get your hands greasy and see which one remooves the grease or oil off your hands!! I quit putting it in the gray water tanks as I figured their was enough soap in both of them.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
The owners manual for SOB suggested salt water, a 1/2 cup of regular table salt disolved in a bucket of warm water (a few gallons). Let it slosh around in a empty tank, rinse and dump when arriving at next campsite. It seemed to clean the sensors as well as the tank.

After all, isn't Calgon just to make soft water? That's really all you're doing with the salt water.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We use Boraxo and cheap laundry detergent- Have used it for more years than I can recall- I am intrigued by the use of dish washing liquid in place of laundry soap- How much is necessary per tank? Inquiring minds need to know- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I just put a capful into the bowl and fill it up with water, swishing it around with a bottle brush and down it goes!!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #15
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I also use the borax and laundry detergent. Every time I empty the black tank I put it in. It is environmentally friendly and doesn't smell bad like the chemicals which have formaldehyde.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I got started on the dishwashing detergent when the millwright would bring his greasy coveralls into the laundromat and he showed how well it cleaned the coveralls and did not leave smell or scum in the tubs. AS stated in prior posts, the Dawn cuts the greases help ssuds up the tank, the calgon makes the tank slick and helps keep it clean. Another trick I learned was using a clear elbowin the drain line. This allowed me to see when the tank was clean, this was hard to do as who likes to see all the brown waste.
bob
Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
The reason I would use a laundry soap or even soap from a dishwasher, is that they do not foam up as a lot, as a dish soap (like dawn) produces a lot of suds.
The other thing is that I try to not travel with a lot of liquid in my holding tanks, I feel that is where a lot of the problems are coming from causing leaks in the black and gray tanks.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #18
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Found it!!! The powder version was sitting there with the laundry soap, etc. I had been looking in the health and beauty aisles. We have been sitting for 3 weeks with no sewer hookup at my sister-in-laws. We use her office bathroom except in the middle of the night. Will not be dumping until next Fri. I think it will be a good idea to put some in for the trip over to the campground where we will be dumping. Thanks everyone for you individual stories. We have decided to use calgon and laundry detergent in black and calgon in gray and galley. Great advice as usual