Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Need Extra Screws??

I cracked the Dometic vent over my kitchen area a few weeks ago--hit a tree limb. So I got a new vent cover but Dometic had changed the design so I had to remove the part attached to the roof of my Monty. So, today I went out early to escape the heat and began digging thru the sealant to find the screws. The new vent had 16 screws--so by reasonable logic I expected to find 16 screws which I did. But the roof mounted part would not move. I carefully pryed and pulled and finally realized there were more screws. Well 15 screws later, I got it off. So the installer had put in 31 screws to hold a device to the roof that may weigh 4 pounds. He must have been paid by the number of screws used per day! Alot of the screws were installed with about a 20 degree tilt from vertical--maybe a few beers at the break? So, I got the new vent installed and sealed and I got 15 EXTRA SCREWS!

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Well then, you have confirmed you have a few screws loose... quite a few in fact.

I have replaced a vent before and found a boatload of screws as well, but probably only 16. I guess they want to make sure that vent stays in place, especially if someone puts some kind of vent cover and attaches it to the vent. I have done this as well and the cover only needed 4 screws and 4 sets of nuts/washers/brackets. 31 screws sounds like overkill, but maybe they found something and decided it was better to just double the screws. Now that you fixed it, you probably lessened your rig by a few ounces (unless you put the leftovers in the RV somewhere).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hang on to them. If you ever decided to rip the new install off with another rim you will have the screws to secure a new one. Never hurts to have spare parts. Besides, every one needs a screw now and then.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Oh, please. Don't tell my husband. He seems to collect and keep every screw he has ever come across for the last 30 years. Hide them!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
ROFL
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I just replaced mine as well. A tree or something took my vent.

I drilled more holes in the new vent and used all of the screws because I noticed that the ABS plastic had air gaps between the existing ones. They seemed to be too far apart for my comfort.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

Oh, please. Don't tell my husband. He seems to collect and keep every screw he has ever come across for the last 30 years. Hide them!
I'm like him. You never know when you might need one. (Actually, my initial reply was "you never know when you might need a screw" but then I realized where that would go...)
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote