Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

The actual hub cap in any wheel bearing application is the seal (threaded or press fit) and will sometimes hold more than that rear seal mainly do to area displacement. I have blown the inner seal on a Agriculture plow wheel bearing yet that cap remained snug and in place; other times, yes you can blow the cap off by over greasing if the zerk is on the hub of the wheel. In these applications the rotational speed is low (no heat). On an average RV the wheel rotation at 60 mph would equal about 650 revs per minute which is quite slow compared to 1800 to 3600 rpm in a lot of bearing applications. So on RVs with the right amount of grease and proper bearing adjustment the repacks likely do not need to be completed at a high frequency as noted above.
There is no conventional bearing cap on the easy lube system. That's why it is important to inspect those little rubber caps because they are all that stands between the front bearing and dirt/water.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #22
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
And is everyone using wheel bearing grease rather than standard chassis grease when filling up the hubs?
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #23
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Likely not; I am sure and in alot of the cases its whatever is in the gun at the time from person to person and shop to shop; over a period of time you could end up with many viscosities, some non lithum, some non water resistant, on and on; but hopefully it would still give the required lubricity to the wheel bearings to prevent failure.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #24
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

Likely not; I am sure and in alot of the cases its whatever is in the gun at the time from person to person and shop to shop; over a period of time you could end up with many viscosities, some non lithum, some non water resistant, on and on; but hopefully it would still give the required lubricity to the wheel bearings to prevent failure.
Amen on the homogeneous mixture! Another good reason to do it yourself!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Just make sure we use the specified grease per Montana manual...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Tom S.
If you'll read my previous post the score is 2 trailers with EZ lube carefully lubed with a hand gun and 2 trailers with grease on the brakes.
I'll stick to packing my bearings by hand
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote