Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
klandry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7783
winterizing leak

Winterizing our 2008,3400rl water syster via the antifreeze method I had followed the instructions and completed getting antifreeze in all the lines and came to the last step which was to press the white plastic plunger at the city water intake to make sure the anitfreeze appeared and when I pressed it antifreeze came out but when I released it (spring loaded) it kept coming out. Any ideas how to get the seal working again.I checked action against the winterizing connection above and they both seem the same but if I turn on the pump antifreeze keeps comming out of the city water connection.
Don Landry

klandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
First off, I never messed with the plastic plunger on the city fill for years on my motorhome or Monty until reading about it on this forum convinced me I needed to. Never had a problem with freezing either. First year I tried it, I screwed it up just like you did.

Where we went wrong is pushing on that little plunger when we had the water pump TURNED ON. It forced back pressure against that little valve. There is a small o-ring in there that is now disoriented from it's proper seated posaition, and it is not allowing that valve to close properly. It is not broke, but will have to come apart to be put back together. I worked too hard fixing mine, as I was convinced I broke it. (the unneeded replacement part I bought is still in the garage.) My dealer set me straight after I had already taken it apart.
I again did more work than necessary, dismantling mine from the outside. On the 2955, the valve in question is accessed from inside the coach by taking out about 3 screws that held a cover over the inside of that waterfill area. The cover was covered with carpet, and right down on the floor in that rear corner.

If you can access that valve, and detach it from the water line attached to it, it will be readily seen what you need to do to fix it.

On edit, I failed to pay attention to your model # 3400. Think you guys have that coinvenience center, or whatever it's called. I suppose your city fill is there. You need to get to the back of it however you accomplish that, and you will see what's wrong.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
In 20 years of winterizing RV's I have never pushed that white button I blow the lines out first

Never had a problem I have never herd of this until reading this on this forumn about 5 years ago
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
klandry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7783
Well I sure appreciate your input. I'm going to work on the problem this weekend hopefully on Sunday as I am still working full time and will let you know how I make out.
klandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

In 20 years of winterizing RV's I have never pushed that white button I blow the lines out first

Never had a problem I have never herd of this until reading this on this forumn about 5 years ago
Same here.

There is lots of good information here...but sometimes it's too much of a good thing. We bought our first RV in 1972, and been winterizing them ever since. Never new about that button until recently and never had a winterization problem. For me, at least, this falls under the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category and I'm going to leave well enough alone.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Blowing the lines out with air will probably work for winterizing except for two areas. you can't get all of the water out of the water pump and the toilet flush valve. Every Spring, we sell several toilet valves and water pumps because RV antifreeze was not used. In using antifreeze all the nukes and crannies get protected. If you don't winterize the city water hookup, there is a possibility that residual water in the lines might be forced back to it and freeze. The correct way to winterize the CITY WATER HOOKUP is to TURN THE PUMP OFF, OPEN A WATER SOURCE TO RELIEVE ANY PRESSURE ON THE WATER LINES. HAVE SOMEONE PRESS THE CHECK VALVE STEM IN. TURN THE PUMP ON UNTIL ANTIFREEZE COMES OUT THE CITY WATER HOOKUP. Release the stem and the pump will pressurize and shut off. If you did this with pressure on the water lines, and didn't blow the "O" ring out and lost it, it can be put back together. Hope this helps, Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
TMI. IMHO. Straight pumping of pink thru the system covers it. Has for 16 years. Helped a friend fix 2 leaks this spring who did the blowout last fall. Pumping the pink even puts pink down in the "udders". Have quit draining them. No problems there either.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote