Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
First tow with new Ram

New truck In sig. Tradesman, 68RFE transmition, and 3.43 gears.

Last truck, 2005 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew, SB, D/A. Custom tuned.

Most of the area here is fairly flat. No big hills. Transmission shift points in tow/haul don't seem to be at optimal RPM's. Shifted into hier gear at about 2000 rpm with light throttle imput. Engaged into next gar at about 1500 rpms and lugged down the engine pretty good. My old Allison would drop out at close to 2200 and, engage at about 1700-1800 rpms, right in the sweet spot of the power band.

Didn't try more agressive throttle input with the Cummins. That may change the shifting pattern. I don't know but, the Allison/Duramax was much better tuned for towing in my oppinion so far. Fuel milage seemed worse but with the long box and the front of the Montana about 4 inches higher I kind of expected that.

Overall the ride was better while crusing, but not much. The old truck worked well! The new factory trailer brakes were a very nice improvement. The exhaust brake worked well, but didn't seem as effective as the Allison. Could just be a feel thing. I'm sure I'll get used to the new truck. before long. Turning radius is better that my old shortbed truck. I'm not complaining, just my current observations.

One complaint about the new truck. Poor throttle response!!!
Running empty on the way home, someone pulled out right in front of me on the highway. I slowed down, saw an opening and pushed the peddle down. Nothing, nothing, nothing. After what seemed like 2-3 seconds the truck finally started accelerating and I found myself in a bad situation as my opening in traffic had almost closed up. This issue is not just my truck. Many others are having similar throttle response issues. Going to inform the dodge dealer and have a note put into my file of this complaint.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Throttle response... could be a turbo spool up issue. I get that from a dead stop. If you can, try dropping a gear (or 2) and the rpms will cause the turbo to kick in almost immediately. The torque & power is there, just have to be in the range for it to do it's work. Also, you can try using tow/haul mode as it upshifts later and downshifts earlier.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Didn't have time to downshift manually. I also didn't mash the peddle to the floor. Didn't have time to think, only to react and mutter one 4 letter word. Then tried to get out of the way. I belive it's a tuning issue to protect the trans or to control engine emmisions.

Just wondering if these engines have break-in tuning. Seems that years ago, if I remember right, some auto makers de-tuned their engines for the first several hundred miles.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Mine isn't a new one, but in the tow haul mode I get real good response even with the Monty back there. In fact frequently, if I mash it to merge, I have to slow down some afterward.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
There are certain conditions when this happens.
1) Starting from a stop.
Example: Trying to make a quick left hand turn across oncomming traffic. You'd better just wait for the light, if there is one.

2) Decelerating then rapid application of throttle.
Example: My situation today

Once the engine starts to make power it comes on hard. You just have to wait a couple seconds after pressing the accelerator. Accelerating while crusing/towing is not a problem. just wait for the tranny to downshift and away you go.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
Bear with me as this will be a long post. I am only going to touch on the very basics here. 1st, you are working with a new vehicle, and while modern engines, gas or diesel, do not require a "break in period" the more miles you put on them the better fuel economy you will achieve as they "loosen up". It may take 30,000 miles for a diesel to reach it's peak fuel economy, a gas engine may take 10 or 12,000 miles. 2nd, you are working with an engine and drivetrain that is computer controlled, it works on the theory of "adaptive strategies" or scenarios. New from the factory the computer is written in a generic code to operate just OK because the manufacturer does not know where in North America the vehicle is going to wind up. Fuel delivery, turbo engagement and boost, transmission up and down shift are affected. Coolant temp, exhaust temp, trans temp, engine incoming air temp and density, barometric pressure, throttle position, wheel speed, MPH, P/Steering pressure Brake pedal position/brake application are all monitored, calculations are made the computer adjusts. There are 10's of thousands of these scenarios programed into the computer like, hard right full throttle, hard right brake, full throttle from 0, full throttle from cruise, and on and on, every scenario you can imagine. So the computer will adapt or learn your driving style. 3rd, We all have to remember what slugs diesel engines are without their turbo chargers or super chargers. Sorry to say with a 3.43 axle ratio the engine will not ramp up as fast thus the turbo will produce less boost because of the lower rpm. Let's face it the truck will not launch as hard as it would if it had 3.73, but give it time it should improve.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I am learning to drive by the tach....got to keep the rpm's up,,,, Seems the newer trucks with the 6 speeds and the more power and torque need to be shifted more, My old trucks when running 65 used to be at the right rpm for the power band of 1800. My new truck at 65 barely clears 1500 rpm and that little difference makes a big difference in throttle response and shifting. I have taken to manually shifting this truck more to keep it running close to 2000 rpm. It is good for your filters and all the EPA junk, and keeps the truck from hunting gears and you'll get better throttle response,.... When towing keep it in 5th gear, it will take a fairly steep grade to make it downshift. It should purr right along....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gjetzen

Bear with me as this will be a long post. I am only going to touch on the very basics here. 1st, you are working with a new vehicle, and while modern engines, gas or diesel, do not require a "break in period" the more miles you put on them the better fuel economy you will achieve as they "loosen up". It may take 30,000 miles for a diesel to reach it's peak fuel economy, a gas engine may take 10 or 12,000 miles. 2nd, you are working with an engine and drivetrain that is computer controlled, it works on the theory of "adaptive strategies" or scenarios. New from the factory the computer is written in a generic code to operate just OK because the manufacturer does not know where in North America the vehicle is going to wind up. Fuel delivery, turbo engagement and boost, transmission up and down shift are affected. Coolant temp, exhaust temp, trans temp, engine incoming air temp and density, barometric pressure, throttle position, wheel speed, MPH, P/Steering pressure Brake pedal position/brake application are all monitored, calculations are made the computer adjusts. There are 10's of thousands of these scenarios programed into the computer like, hard right full throttle, hard right brake, full throttle from 0, full throttle from cruise, and on and on, every scenario you can imagine. So the computer will adapt or learn your driving style. 3rd, We all have to remember what slugs diesel engines are without their turbo chargers or super chargers. Sorry to say with a 3.43 axle ratio the engine will not ramp up as fast thus the turbo will produce less boost because of the lower rpm. Let's face it the truck will not launch as hard as it would if it had 3.73, but give it time it should improve.
Excellent post.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #9
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Biggest issue is your 3.43 gears. Not enough gear ratio to keep you in the 1600 to 1700 rpm where max torque is made by the cummins.
Allison makes a sweet transmission, had one in my 2001 GMC. Have not had anything to show me the 68rfe is any different in current truck. I went with 4.10 rear end, which keeps me with all shifts in the sweet spot. You may have to manually shift yours (hold it in gear longer) to match the rpms for the next shift in the 1600 to 1800 range.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
When crusing at 62-63 mph in 6th gear the engine rpms are right at 1800. Just about perfect gearing for most of the traveling I do locally, towing or empty. I had read reports of the same model trucks hunting for gears when towing heavy with the 3.43. I don't have a problem with that. I'll drop it into 5th when needed. As far as auto up-shifting goes, it may have been because I drive very conservitivly, especially when towing. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The "dead peddle" thing is something totally differant. Reminds me of a gasser with a clogged fuel filter when it happens.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Well if you are running 1800 rpm at 63 that is where you want to be. Maybe I am thinking wrong and it is the opposite. I figured with the 3.43's your rpm's would be even lower then my 3.73's. Like I said mine in 6th is right at 1600 rpm at 65 mph. So it must be the opposite and yours comes up to 1800 rpm at 65 which would be good. The Dodges always have had a lag when you stomp on the go pedal till the turbo spools up. Now the new Fords with the twin turbo are sweet....did a burnout coming out of the lot when I test drove one lol lol oops...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am surprised about the slow throttle response. I had that problem on my '07 F350 6.0 3.73. But almost immediate response on my '12 F350 6.7 3.55 with the new turbo design. I would have thought the new Ram would also have improved that. I would certainly question them about it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I have the 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7L diesel, but with the 3.73 axle gear. I've never really thought about anything related to passing or acceleration. I don't drive it like my GT Mustang, but even then, it has very good acceleration. On a four lane road with stop lights, I find that I pull ahead of all the people in the fast lane who queued up because they guessed a Fifth wheel would not get to 55 fast enough for them. I get 21.5 MPG unloaded when traveling on back roads where 55 MPH is the limit and 11 MPG when towing a full load. It's improved now that I'm at 6500 miles on truck.

BTW, when I tow, I set the Tow/Haul on, the Exhaust Break to Auto and put it on cruise control, even in the mountains. I stay pretty much at the speed limit unless it's 70. 65 is my personal limit for fuel mileage and safety.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
With the 4.10, I run about 1700 at 65. So the higher gears help us control the rpm's to stay in the sweet spot. But the lower gears starting out is where you will tell the difference between 3.r3, 3.73, and the 4.10. You can do it, just don't expect to spin the tires!
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #15
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
Sounds as if you are very disappointed with your new truck. If you are that disappointed with the vehicle then by all means trade back to a GM product which you apparently feel have better towing qualities. I have driven GM trucks and the allison trans is very good but by no means as effective as an exhaust brake.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #16
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Have had the dead pedal situation a couple of times on my 2012 F350...usually right after pulling away from a stop sign and not towing anything. Think that I may have relaxed a little on the pedal as I was trying to not merge onto a new street too fast or too soon. Then when you push more...there just isn't anything there. I thought the engine had quit the first time I noticed it. Wasn't a good feeling at all. I still only have 22000 miles on my truck so I will wait to see what it is like with more miles. This "dead pedal" as I call it is a fairly common thing on different makes since the aftermarket folks use this point as a marketing tool. John
Old 06-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #17
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I have been able to reproduce the "dead pedal" problem. Visited the dealer today. The diesel tech has a couple things he want's to look at. Appointment in the shop on Monday.

Other than that one issue, I like the new truck... Just installed a tonneau cover today. EVIC was saying 23.8 avg. mpg for a 30 mile one way trip @62 mph. I don't belive it, but I'd like to think I'm getting over 21 mpg under those conditions.

Mud flaps and cabin air filter parts arriving tomorrow. Got to say I love the wheel to wheel side steps on this truck.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
All of these trucks suffer from the same problem. They have a large turbo and several feet of 3 to 4 inch turbo pipe. It takes time to to get the turbo up to speed and pressurize all that pipe and a large intercooler. Then you can't add fuel until you have enough boost to burn all that fuel. That makes soot that clogs up the DPF.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

All of these trucks suffer from the same problem. They have a large turbo and several feet of 3 to 4 inch turbo pipe. It takes time to to get the turbo up to speed and pressurize all that pipe and a large intercooler. Then you can't add fuel until you have enough boost to burn all that fuel. That makes soot that clogs up the DPF.
Lynwood
Yes, the emmision controls are plauging all the current trucks. I can deal with that. I wasn't looking for a hotrod. My problem is something else entirely. Very few experience the "dead pedal" problem. Hopefully re-flashing a couple control modules will fix the problem.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
wal_mart
Established Member

M.O.C. #10728
Never never change brands. You will find everything no mater how little to complain about.
wal_mart is offline   Reply With Quote