Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Husky 16K hitch in New RAM

Well, I bit the bullet and got a new truck! Traded the ol' 05 RAM for a shiny new 2012 RAM. I was able to work the hitch into the deal. They quickly installed the hitch the next day without offering me a choice of brand. The Dodge dealer purchased a Husky 16K from the RV dealer that I got my Montana from. Immediately I noticed this Hitch CLUNKS on every bump! I went to the Montana dealer to talk to them about it. They told me this is a great hitch and I will love it. Then they said it will clunk when no trailer is on it and many remove it from the rails when not hauling. I put a few 5" pieces of a swim noodle in there and it sort of stopped the clunk. Maybe before I use it I should see about changing it out for one that doesn't clunk at all? My old Reese rode around quietly awaiting it's next service opportunity. It is really annoying!

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Mine's not a reese hitch, But I noticed when it was installed they never greased anything. You might wanna check to make sure that the center bolt is greased the way it should be because mine was bone dry.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I had a 16k Husky...never made a sound. Maybe you can see if you can find the source of the clunk. Are you sure it's the hitch and not the Dodge?
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

I had a 16k Husky...never made a sound. Maybe you can see if you can find the source of the clunk. Are you sure it's the hitch and not the Dodge?
Before the hitch was installed I could sneak up on a coyote in it. The clunk is when the hitch head rocks side to side on about every bump in the road hitting the uprights. My Reese had rubber stops under the head.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I keep mine in, but I run a short bungee cord under the hitch and over the handle when not towing.
I have towed over 34,000 miles with no hitch problems.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My reese's rubber is getting worn, I figured I'd be going to the hardware store for some rubber bumpers one of these days. Either that or gluing the rubber wedges in there that we took out of the truck suspension when we installed the air bags.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is this a standard hitch (not a slider)? Is this a two piece hitch (hitch head, sitting on a hitch base on the bed rails?

I have a 16K Valley (which is now Husky) and the only clunking I've ever heard is when I'm towing and hit some bumps. No noise when taking off, or stopping or not towing. I guess my noise might be called chucking, too. One persons clunking could be someone else's chucking and it's hard to tell if we are talking about the same thing.

My hitch head is snug on the hitch base and takes some effort to pivot the head front to back or side to side. I guess if the head was very loose there'd be a lot more noise. I hope the noise isn't from where the hitch base is pinned to the rails or where the pin is that couples the head with the base. Then all the cotter like pins attach to the bed rail pins and head pin real snug too.

Do you know exactly what kind of movement is causing the noise? Maybe you can have someone else drive the truck on curbs and stuff while you are in the truck bed trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. If you not towing and the hitch head is not snug (moves easily), the bouncy roads might be causing rocking of the head which causes noise. There could be so many other places, too.

That would drive me nuts too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Can't help you on the hitch, but congratulations on the new truck! I still have "new truck smell" too...

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Thanks for the quick replies! Difficult to describe and pictures are worth a thousand words. Here are 3 videos.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

Thanks for the quick replies! Difficult to describe and pictures are worth a thousand words. Here are 3 videos.
Anxious to see some responses, but sure doesn't seem to be working as designed to me. Wouldn't want it hitting like that with all the tongue weight on there I should think...

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
My Husky did not bang like in the video. Put a pad, piece of hose or something, between the parts that are banging, get a bungee and secure it.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Your hitch looks just like mine. When towing the hitch will pivot, but never bangs. When not towing if the shaft is properly greased it will pivot back and forth and bang on the platform. I just run a 16" bungee cord under the platform and connect it together over the handle, it take me about 10 second to do.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
looks like mis-match. wrong head....
does it do this on highway with trailer?
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #14
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Mine did that too. One thing I found was the bolts that hold head for front to back were not tightened correctly. One of the nuts on the inside was almost off. This helped some when I tightened them up.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My cheap, 16K Valley/Husky doesn't work like that. Just as I suspected it is the hitch head movement on the hitch base and that hitch head is way larger that it needs to be and also has way too much movement (you need some, but that looks like too much). Since the head is oversized by having way too much extra metal that can contact the hitch base this is what's causing all the ruckus. Coupled with the fact there's too much movement front to back and side to side means the amount of travel will cause the noise to be even worse.

I think they did you an injustice by installing this noisy hitch but I'm sure they are in the mindset, "What do you want for free"? There are better designs of hitch heads that are quieter and like mine, use bumpers wherever the normal hitch movement might cause metal to metal contact. My Valley/Husky 16K fifth wheel hitch installed by the dealer is very quiet in comparison because the hitch head is much smaller and does not clang from metal to metal contact.

The good news is that the amount of travel on your hitch looks like it exceeds the amount of movement that would occur if a trailer was hitched. So Hooker's idea is very sound, that you put in pads or strap/bungee the head down so that it's not moving when you are driving around when not hitched to the trailer.

Or you can get a new hitch... hmmmm
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Cheap fix = rubber bumpers
Permanent fix = new hitch

If you decide to keep the hitch, be very sure it operates safely & quietly when you are connected to your Monty.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I have a 6 year old Husky and it will pivot fairly easily if I grab the handle and move the head but nothing like what your videos show. As a matter of fact, it always seems to stay tilt to the left (in the direction of the handle). Of course, I haven't lubed it for awhile. Maybe I should (or maybe not?)
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
...or the head is not oversized, but 'over-low' :-{
look at the picture in the link below; it shows the head in the highest position on the uprights
yours is on the lowest position on the uprights.
i agree with others, if trailer does not 'roll' enough to cause this collision between head and uprights, then secure it and/or cushion it for traveling unhitched

http://c.adventurerv.net/a/thumbs/im...afac997a44.jpg
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Awsome, thanks for all the input!

Finally have a few days off so can check this out more.

fauch: I set the trailer on the hitch to adjust the height and this setting is where the trailer is level. I have 6-7" clearance between the truck rail and trailer. The trailer is covered and I haven't moved it yet to know how much roll there is. I'll have a look at the pinbox bolts, maybe I can adjust them so I have to raise the hitch head to get it up higher for more pivot.

2007dura: Great thought, I'll throw a wrench on the bolt to verify they are all tight.

Art-n-Marge: Always a concern when working a component into a sales deal. The salesman kept telling me the hitch was costing more and there wasn't enough built into the deal, translation IE: what I heard was that it was coming out of his cut. Probably they got the lowest price they could on a 16K hitch. My bad that I didn't specify a hitch in the deal. (I really don't know what hitch I would pick if I went window shopping for one right now).

CORattler: If I'm not mistaken, the rails are a universal match??? If I opt to go for the expensive route, the installation and rail package is not a loss. I'll give the bungie a test and see how that goes. Some folks really like this hitch so I owe it to myself to give it a fair look.

seahunter: Gotta love that "new truck smell"!

A call to Husky tech support is on the docket today also. Maybe they have a suggestion.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #20
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
A quick update, I called Husky and their tech support was very friendly and helpful. The solution is basically to try to bungie it down. The travel distance of the head is normal and there is no stopping mechanism for it. It may be a great hitch but I don't think I will ever be happy with it because of the noise. The other solution is to pull the pins and remove it while not towing. I'm not getting any younger and I that would be just asking for a back or foot injury. The Dodge dealer purchased the hitch from the same RV dealer I bought my Montana from so I went back to them and told them I was really having a problem with the noise. They traded me out of the Husky for a B&W Patriot. The rails are the Reese universal so the B&W dropped right in. Now I can sneak up on the coyotes again. Not a sound from the hitch.

I want to throw out a big thank you to Tarpley RV in Durango Colorado. Their customer service is over the top wonderful.