Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I just want to know how to make a phone call

Wireless phones, everyone and their 12 year old kid has one, the 12 year old knows 10 times more about it’s functions than adults, I would guess.
I need certain things in a phone, it has to make calls, receive calls, and take messages if I am in a noisy bar and can’t hear it. All this can be explained to me in a single page of instructions.
OK, I got a few extras, the walkie-talkie for instant back and forth with a person or group(s) and a vibrate when in meetings (or in the bar) mode. To get these features, I had to get a phone that has a 220 page instruction book on how to operate all the different operations in this gizmo.
It almost seems it was the product of some super-geek, who won a bet at the malt shop from his (or her) peers where they meet and compare pocket protectors. My hat’s off to them. It takes a M.I.T. scholar to understand this stuff.
You can take movies, even with a small spotlight, record conversations and grocery lists, Java apps. whatever that is, has GPS, a date book, call waiting, 2 phone lines, text messaging, e-mail, Internet, hands free, and on and on.
Many times I accidentally hit one of the buttons and something doesn’t work. I had to super-glue one of the buttons so it wouldn’t get pushed when I am rolling around on the floor fixing a furnace or air conditioner. Sometimes the phone calls someone, it’s kind of an adventure, I get to talk with people I haven’t seen for a while, still don’t know how that happens.
The Geeks think of everything, there are two digit codes, I guess as shortcuts, just press # or * and the code. Now I have to try and remember the codes, phone numbers and how to call them. Never have used that.
I can’t even see the screen without my reading glasses, one of the features they are proud of is caller ID, by the time I get the phone out of the holster, find my reading glasses and get them on, the thing went to voice mail message, then I have to pull off the road and spend 5 minutes figuring that out.
I guess the skinny smart kid with the pocket protector I made fun of in high school, gets the last laugh…

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I share your frustration. My phone is for calls only. My plan does not include texting or pictures. And I still manage to screw it up from time to time because I hit the wrong button or don't have my reading glasses on.
All part of life's experiences.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
One of the happier days I can recall is the day I discovered that the sim card in my feature-laden cell phone would work in my vintage non-flipup, no-camera, no-texting Nokia. I never hit the wrong button, nor did I hang up on a call that I'd intended to answer. The newer flip-up phone actually had buttons on the side that would refuse a call before I could get it out of the holster and see who was calling; tough not to touch a button on the side of your phone while trying to remove it from a holster.

We recently changed providers and sadly, they had NO non-flip-up, no-camera Nokias. I have to go through three levels of menus just to switch to buzzer from ringer. I pass all these options I didn't need, don't want, and can't erase.

Hey, pocket-protector kid... stop it! I can't see the screen, the buttons are too small for my fat fingers, and I can't text while I'm driving down the road towing my 5er! And next time you design a cell phone, put some VOLUME in the darned thing!
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got a shiny new verizon LG phone a couple of months ago. It is a very smart phone... Now understand that when I worked for the FAA we worked on the most advanced sophisticated highly technical electronic equipment in the world. I was a blinking genius.Last month the phone turned itself off..and.... I could not figure how to turn it on?? There is nothing on the phone that says

ON OFF. My grand daughter powered it up for me and said..... You got to keep up..
The wife has the Droid phone and when we need something or want to go somewhere ..we ask the phone...It knows.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I agree with your frustration Ozz, by the time a person has most of the things mastered on there Cell Phone it is time to get another one, and start the process all over again. I'm getting to old for this continuing schooling on phones.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In a noisy bar????? Hmmm!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

In a noisy bar????? Hmmm!
I also saw that comment about the bar, it must be for Monday night football, huh!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ahhh, working on the refrigeration unit. My story and I'm sticking to it....
Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Just got my new evo4 Droid phone last week and I love the app thing but wow how did they ever come up with all this stuff.Its taken 3 days to sink all e-mail and wi-fi and blue tooth old numbers.I am waiting for the day when you get the app for" beam me down Scotty".Oh well it keeps me guessing and wondering what will be next.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I remember how cool I thought it was when you could talk to someone else with two dixie cups and a string attached .Whats next??
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
I guess some folks have forgotten your most excellent reporting from S.Padre Island! Thanks to your reporting we know where it is safe to camp in the S. Texas area.

Rich,
If it weren't for my grand daughter I probably would still be using ONLY a landline type phone..... Anyone still remember those?!

Even though I use only one or two of the features of the latest phones I still have to upgrade ever so often. Guess it is a good thing otherwise the old string with a tin can connected to each end would be the extent of my "tech" knowledge!

So come on "old man" learn how to turn your phone on! But with our advancing age I've discovered that FINDING the phone is more than half the battle!

Later,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Funny you should mention that. A few months ago my cellphone shot craps, and when I went to the Verizon store, the guy (about 19) looked at me like I had two heads when I told him I just wanted a phone to make phone calls with.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis, I don't know about the safe part, but the fun part is where I'm: 'all in!'
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Last time my phone contract was up for renewal I said I wanted a phone that just made phone calls, either incomming or those that I dialed out. The sales rep never heard of such a thing.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I saw a basic phone advertised one time, big buttons, nothing fancy. Haven't seen it since, maybe one of us can get filthy rich and come out with one?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Find a AARP magazine. They have those old folks phones.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The little keyboard is difficult, but I like the technology. We use the Blackberry for an alarm clock, reminder, GPS, text, send pictures, and to tether the laptop to the internet. Oh, we talk on it too. There are so many applications. BTW OZZ, text is ideal for that noisy bar!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, it would be if I wanted to open that Pandora's box of extras, or Apps. Too much of a Hick for that.. I have to keep up with all of the technology of the new Furnaces and A/C units and their complex electronics... But I HAVE to do that.
One of my real estate management companies manager wanted to Text me service calls, I said nope, call me or E-mail me, not Text, had that turned off, too many Spam texts I had to pay for.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Spam texts? I've never gotten any of those....of course, I don't have my number associated with a business either. DW and I use BB Messenger to communicate with. I get all my email on the BB too. I don't have any apps other than Facebook and Tether on the BB. I had never used the GPS until a couple weeks ago. Always knew where I was going. Screen is small, but it gives the voice turn by turn (when I can hear it). Got to start wearing the earphones!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #20
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Well, there is the Jitterbug phone -- JUST a phone. We were going to get this for Dick's mom. BUT, and a big but, when we investigated found the service is very unfriendly and difficult to get out of. Now, if we could just get hold of their phone to use on Verizon!
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote