Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
AM Radio

Our OEM elcheapo stereo system works fine in every mode except AM. I've tried with and without boost, putting a new long antenna on it, and changed locations, all to no avail. I can sit in the truck and get stations 75 miles away, and get no stations at all on the Montana's AM band.

Suggestions appreciated.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Tom, The AM and FM antennas are different. you should not need the boost for AM. Usually the AM antenna is built in. If not it will have a separate connection on the back for the AM Antenna. Most AM separate antennas that I have seen are a rectangle about 4"x5" that looks like a picture frame without anything in the middle frame about 1/2' - 3/4" thick, and 2 wires hanging loose from it. If you think it has an internal antenna, you may want to remove the stereo from the rv and try it outside. If you get reception outside close to the truck reception, then you have a problem with the location in the RV and too much metal around where the stereo is located and need to get a separate antenna. If it does not work outside, and no place to hook up a separate antenna, take it back and get another model.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I agree with rogue. I think you will fine a screw lug for an AM "wire" antenna. Try to get it as long as possible and streatched out, which is hard in its location. You may also have to connect a "ground", another screw lug, which is different than the 12 VDC or 120 VAC ground. The ground on your stereo is, ideally, another wire the same length as the antenna and running in the opposite direction or separated as far away from the AM antenna as possible.
If this is confusing PM me and I will try to clean it up.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
A quarter wave antenna for 1500 Khz is approximately 78 feet. So you would have a 78' wire in one direction and a 78' wire in another direction. It might be better to buy an AM antenna that has been electronically tuned and considerably smaller.

John, did I miss any math there - it's been a long, long time.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote