Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Slide Toppers

What's the general concensus on 'slide toppers'? I've heard various views--some really support them while others remark that they can be troublesome in the wind, rain, snow, ice, etc while 'out'. Also, is there a preferred model/brand such as the 'Carefree Colorado' versus others. Did a search on the subject and nothing came up.
Thanks for any input.

barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just my opinion, but I would not be without them. Researched for a year before making my decision.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I have them, and now that I've used them for 6 months, I'd say:
If you camp in the woods or under trees a lot, yes I'd have them. If you camp in the open a lot, maybe I would not get them. If I have a large slide, I'd really check with more people that have that large slide.

In the woods they are great to keep the leaves needles, and small branches off the top, and eliminate having to go up on the roof and sweep off the slides before closing them.
In the open the bedroom one is OK, but the dinning room one on our 2955RL is noisy with all but a very gentle breeze. They say you can but a rope around it to keep the noise down. I've had it checked and the dealer says its adjusted correctly.
I have read that some of the folks here have had problems with water on the large slide toppers.

In my case since about half of my local camping is in wooded areas, I guess I'd get them again.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They keep "stuff"off the slide roof. They aid in preventing leaks. They do flap in the wind and are designed to do that so they do not tear. We spent a very windy winter in Az last winter and the toppers help up with no problems. IMO the flapping issue is way over stated. Water will collect, again they are designed to "give" with weight so they will not be damaged. It is no big deal. The advantage..IMO..out weigh any
negatives.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto pretty much what Richfaa said.

The snow AND ice will both roll right off. Stand back if there is ice up there, it comes crashing down with a bit of a surprise, it was 1.5 inches thick. Big hunks! WOWSER!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have the slide toppers on my 04,, I like them a lot. It is true the large one will make noise in the wind, but a strap will take care of that. If you get them make sure they get a real good angle off the side of the trailer. I am going to get mine changed next year down in the RGV in TX. The higher on the side of the trailer the better for water run off and the large cover will be tight.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
After every rain you can get your awning rod out and pull down on that little lever on the end of your awning. It will allow almost all of the water to drain off. Otherwise, it will pool (on the big slide) and mold and mildew will start collecting.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As Dave said, but don't stand there watching it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have 4 slides and one is about 12 foot. The large slide did flap when we first went on the road so I bought a roll of 1 inch nylon webbing and tossed it over the slide. This did two things, one it dropped the flapping to almost zero, it also gave the water a route to run off the slide. I added a quart water bottle on each end of the nylon to keep it from blowing away. Works nicely and doesn't put any strain on the awning. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have the Carefree's. 4 of them. Two have the extra parts that comes down and acts as a window shade for my living room and dining room. I was just out for the last four days and it was really windy where I was at. I did not even notice them making any noise. Felt the coach moving around move with the wind.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

After every rain you can get your awning rod out and pull down on that little lever on the end of your awning. It will allow almost all of the water to drain off. Otherwise, it will pool (on the big slide) and mold and mildew will start collecting.
You do this on the slide toppers? I never thought of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, my big slide is the only one I need to do that with. Actually, a friend of mine here at Mouse Mtn, who has a Double Suites 5th wheel, with the same slide toppers just recently showed me.

The lever on the end of the awning spring is designed to be hooked by the awning hook and pulled towards you. It relieves the tension and allows the awning to flatten out on top of the slide. All the water simply falls right off the resulting flat surface. Neat. Only had this unit for 16 months before I discovered this procedure...
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, after it drains, you then flip that lever back the other way? When you do that, the topper remains flat on the slide until you retract the slide, right? I wonder if it would then flap badly in wind. In other words, I'd probably need to follow draining the water with cycling the slide. After flipping the lever, that is. Am I off base?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
dsprik, I wish CW had told me this when I had mine installed. I did not know you could do that. Upon looking at mine from the top, the large one has the spot in the middle from water pooling. I thought the only way to drain was to pull in the slides. Thanks for the "Heads up"!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You're welcome, Phil. Steve, the lever is spring loaded. You have to pull and hold. After all the water drains off, just release the lever and it returns to it's original position, tightening the awning back up.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 AM   #16
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
For those that love them, I would suggest saving as you would to replace your shingled roof on the stick house. Unless you trade Montana's every five years or so. I cost of replacing all four is staggering. I noticed in RGV several folk's placed large inflatable beach balls under the slide's on the roof, kept the flapping down and allowed the water to run off. Got them at walley world very cheap. BRANSON IS GREAT IN 2008 Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

You're welcome, Phil. Steve, the lever is spring loaded. You have to pull and hold. After all the water drains off, just release the lever and it returns to it's original position, tightening the awning back up.
Thanks, Dave. Excellent tip, one that I'll actually use.

John, I've not tried beach balls because I keep hearing they fly out from under the topper when there's a strong wind. Wind can do some damage but when the toppers deteriorated after four years on our 3295 it looked more to me like it was just UV rays and just plain exposure to the elements that caused the wear. I may be wrong but that's how it looked. Wind can still damage them sometimes, though.

You're correct they're not cheap to replace but you don't have to replace the hardware, just the fabric. That's still not cheap but better than replacing everything.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've always been leery of the slide toppers. I've seen many of them with rips and ragged edges on them, flopping in the breeze. It makes the rig very unsightly.

On the other hand, I guess they're as good as the user wants them to be. For me, I'm not sure they are worth the expense. I may be much in the minority here, as it seems.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:08 AM   #19
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
We like ours for all of the reasons stated above. One caution, if you accumulate water on the large one and it freezes, be careful when pulling the slides in. Had that happen once where the ice froze TO the topper and the slide couldn't retract. Had to climb up and break the ice to safely retract the slides.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We had the Ice problem and dont have the slide toppers, in Kansas at christmas the ice froze on the roof and not thinking pulled the slide in and it stopped about half way in. Went on the roof the ice was packed up aginst the side of the RV had to go bust it all off.

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote