Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don't use Quilted Northern

In past threads about TP I have stated that Quilted Northern passes the "shake test." And it did at the time.

We recently started having problems with our toilet blacksplashing, or burping if you will, to the point of splashing clear out of the toilet sometimes. The problem turns out to be a pyramid building below the pipe from toilet to tank. The paper was not disintegrating.

I did a test yesterday, again, on Quilted Northern. I don't know what they changed but it no longer even tries to disintegrate. The shake test, for the uninitiated is to put a sheet of the paper in a jar half or so full of water and shake the dickens out of it. If the paper disintegrates, it's ok to use in your toilet. If not, avoid it.

Today I tested Scott 1000, a single ply paper that says ok for septic and rv. It is. But we don't like that paper. We also tested White Cloud, which says ok for septic. It disintegrates. I think we'll like that paper ok.

If anyone gets that dreaded pyramid, you can get tissue digester at Camping World and RV Dealers. That takes a few days to work but does work. Today I bought a high pressure wand (for a water hose) from Ace Hardware. It's actually called a "root irrigator." I was able to stick it down the toilet and slam the tank below the toilet with high pressure water. That seemed to clear the pyramid. I then used the black tank flush for five minutes, with tank valve closed, to get lots of water in the tank since it had only been a day since I'd dumped. Based on the amount of tissue exiting the tank I think our problem is solved.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Been using Scott single ply tissue since we owned the motel and ever since we bought our first RV and never had a septic or black tank problem. Scott was the number one recommended tissue for septic use by my septic service tech and he also had an RV and only used Scott in that.

The "shake test" is about the best way to test toilet tissue as it really does work.

One more piece of advice....DON'T waste your money on the so called high priced RV toilet tissue sold at Camping World and most RV stores. It is no better than plan old Scott single ply or any other tissue that passes the "shake test".
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Steve thanks for the update. I had a friend ask me about papers over the weekend and thought of telling him about northern. He is a newby so I told him to stick with the stuff he gets at camping world for a couple of months. I am glad I did now.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have found that Thetfords RV Tissue paper at Target or Wal-Mart is no more expensive than any other brands. With the 4th full summer coming to an end, I have not had any trouble with this product. I should also state that I use Thetford's Campa-Chem holding tank chemical since the RV was new.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Definenetly don't use corn cobs!!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Thanks guys for the information.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
Have you considered Angel Soft 2-ply? That's all we have ever used. We initially tried the shake test and it worked so we were satisfied. Have had no problems since. Will keep an eye on it though to make sure it stays that way. Can't stand any of the 1-plys for obvious reasons.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
We had the same problem with Charmin Plus a couple of years back. I e-mailed Charmin and ask what they had changed in the formulation of Plus, and they said nothing, however they don't test for RV usage but it is septic safe. Several months later, we tested Charmin Plus again and it disolved as it had before when tested. Maybe just a bad run when something wasn't right during manufacture.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I don't believe it when they say their paper is "septic safe". Several years ago, we had our septic pumped and it was completely filled with "septic safe" TP. Fortunately, none got to the drain field. Since then we use the single ply Scott type and have had no problems. You can get used to it in time. After all, our ancestors used corn cobs, leaves, etc.
Ken

On edit, I see that I got a star by my name - must be for the 100th thread. And to think I got it responding to a toilet paper thread!
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ken,
And you have now been promoted from Enthusiast to Devotee!!! Keep on posting!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I thought Angel Soft was the one to use in RV's and septic systems. That's what we're told in our area.
We now put hot sudsey water in our black tank when we move from campground to campground. Even after the through cleaning we do, a lot of "stuff" comes out when we arrive at our new campground.

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Less Paper, More water!

Never had a mountain/pyramid with less paper, more water.

Don't use the CW stuff, will NOT use the 1 ply (sorry mtnhntr, I just cannot go there, )

Don't really watch the brand, just septic safe.

LESS PAPER, MORE WATER!!

(if you must know, the lightly used stuff never goes IN the toilet, it goes in a trash can, like the boaters used to do)

LPMW

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I did the water test and shake thingy about a month ago. I was just curious. I used Scott that was septic safe and Charmin Ultra or Ultra Charmin, which ever it was.

The Scott broke up really quickly when shaken. Not so of the Charmin but a while later the Scott was sitting in a pile in the bottom of the container and the Charmin was floating around the container and then floated on top. Got me to thinking. Shook both up again and the Scott's moved around the container then quickly settled to the bottom. The Charmin floated around evenly mixed throughout the water.

I wish I could explain this better but seems to me that the floating Charmin would leave the RV better than the more solidified lump of Scott's in the bottom of the tank?

I am sure I have explained this terribly. Hope someone understands?

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #14
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
This is an interesting discussion. I just had to try the shake test on our TP and it passes. I guess that is why we have never had a problem in the last 14 years. I have heard of the dreaded pile but it has never happened to us. Now I know why.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:00 AM   #15
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
The trick is the amount of water. Most of us who have septics will tell you that a lot of water will go down the hole with the tp. I find most rv folks just get things down the hole. Out of sight out of mind. Put a lot of water down the hole with the tp and the goodies. I keep a three gallon pail of water with a cheap dollar store lemon or orange base soap mix in the tank when I am running down the road. In hot weather that holding tank could become dry if your rig is not used for a time. If stuff is in the tank and it dries out it will be like cement on the bottom of your holding tank. When I get ready to leave a campgrounds I always make sure my black water tank is filled to the max with water before I dump. When you open your black water drain the pressure of the of the water will remove the waste.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:50 AM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Agree with the 'Lots of water is the key' logic. Amazing but the county extension agents just had an article distributed earlier this summer about the number of septic systems failing that had worked for years. Investigating it they found the common thread to be new water efficient toilets and washing machines. So much less water was going into the systems that the papers, dirts and other 'solids' were not being consumed by the little microscopic critters as they had been ........ so - long story shortened - they are now being advised to add extra water (within reason of course) to their septic systems.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 AM   #17
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Steve,
Thanks for the update! Since we have moved into the house to "weather" the heat down here in Yuma, we haven't used the toilet much in the Montana, I think I'll go out and add some water to the tank, just to be sure.

Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #18
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
Had this stacking 3 or 4 times last winter and was using northern TT.Glad to find out why and will switch.Thanks
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:36 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We use Scott (septic safe) TP.

As frequent boondockers, we try to NOT use lots of water; and we have not had a problem, yet. We found with planning, we could go 22 days without a problem on the black tank.

After a good flush before traveling, we put several gallons of water and add water softener, and detergent into the tank. If it is a short trip, we'll put some clorox in there too. With the 360 vent fin, we never have any smells...guess everyone has different experiences, but with this process, our tanks stay clean.

Scott is not the softest, but we like it, now.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, we're going to go to Angel Soft soon as the White Cloud is gone. We like the soft tissue, too. The single ply doesn't set well with us. Well, I guess that means after using one ply we don't set well. Or sit well.

Even using lots of water the Quilted Northern will pyramid on us. Those tanks are long and wide but not very deep. The paper drops straight down into the tank, into a pile. The water has to spread over the entire bottom before it gets deep enough to keep the paper wet. By then it's pretty well solidified into a pyramid. At least that's how I understand it. And that's why more water helps.

I got a "root irrigator" from Ace Hardware. It is essentially a long nozzle for the end of a water hose. It has a small hole in the end, which increases the pressure significantly. It has an on/off valve also. It is three to four feet long (haven't measured it) and has a handle. I was able to shove it down the toilet downpipe as far as I could get it into the curve, turn it on, and blast that pyramid of paper to smithereens. At least I had lots and lots of paper exit the tank when I dumped. I did add more water through the black tank flush before dumping as the tank only had a couple of days' contents. That root irrigator cost me twenty bucks but I'm keeping it in this Montana, just in case. It also says it can be used as a pressure washer so I may just use it to get the mud off the Dodge.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote