Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2004, 12:43 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
TV

Many thanks to all who have helped us. The PDI was fabulous! Our first inspection yesterday went very well (they were surprised we knew so much thanks to this forum. The Theater Surround is a QR2000 (Quest). We found 3 speakers that did not work and they are working on that. But, we want to add a VCR and cannot figure out how to get the TV out as screws at top & bottom of TV and unit is fully enclosed w/fireplace at bottom. No one at the dealership knew how either. We go back Monday for final inspection and for lessons in driving our first 5th wheeler! I forgot how tall this unit is! Kind of scary and exciting too.

John & Marianne (Wis. newbies)
2005 3295RK
2003 3500 Chevy duramax Silverado LT, dual wheels

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In our 3295rk the top screws are accessible from the cabinet above the TV and the lower ones from the cabinet below. But we don't have the fireplace. Is there some way to pull the fireplace out enough to access those screws? This might well be something to task your dealer with figuring out and showing you since you plan a return to the dealer anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Thanks Vicki & Steve .... will try taking out fireplace. But it has wood
trim all around & no screws evident; also, the shelf above the TV is glued in and no evidence of screws. Me thinks they think the TV is going to last forever Should be interesting to see what they have to say.
Many thanks again.

John & Marianne
2005 3295 RK
2003 3500 Chev Duramax
Old 06-19-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Do you have to get to the back of the TV to add a VCR? Can't you tap into the cables or connections on the DVD? (We don't have a DVD, so perhaps I don't understand the problem properly).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 05:46 PM   #5
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Iam not sure if yours will be the same as ours, but I dont think you will be happy with the DVD. Mine was junk and I replaced the whole system including speakers. To remove the TV you must push the fireplace back, this can be done by removing 2 screws just below the fold down vent, this takes off the outside trim plate. Then there were 4 screws 2 on each side of fireplace, remove them and just push the fireplace back. This will allow enough room to access the 2 screws going into the TV. There was one screw into the top of the TV which could be accessed by poping the center speaker out, it was only pushed in. Good luck on getting your speakers to work, I gave up and the new system is great.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:04 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We have the fireplace also and you are correct, there are 2 screws on the top and 2 underneath. My husband took out the 2 on top and then broke off the 2 on the bottom so we could get the TV out and hook up the VCR and DVD player. We didn't put any of the screws back in after it was hooked up. We have a BIG floor pillow that we stuff in the cabinet with the TV and it holds it in place. Works for us.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
I have a 3655fl, with the tv over the fire place. I added a vcr & dvd and didn't have to take the tv out or get behind it. There were two cowax cables in the cabinet to the right of the tv. Just connected the vcr and dvd to these cables and the system works great. Hope your solution is as easy.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:38 AM   #8
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Just curious Bill, what speakers and system did you use to replace them? I will probably address the matter in our new 3400RL.

Wayne

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

Iam not sure if yours will be the same as ours, but I dont think you will be happy with the DVD. Mine was junk and I replaced the whole system including speakers. Bill
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #9
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Capt. Banjo, I would also be interested in hearing what system you replaced the Quest system with?

John & Marianne
2005 3295RK w/air hitch
2003 3500 Chev Duramax allison
Old 06-23-2004, 04:45 PM   #10
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Wayne, I replaced it with a Koss 500 watt 5.1 channel dolby digital home theater system with DVD player, purchased at Best Buy. I paid $199 for mine however I just checked their site and it is for sale for $149. I had to enlarge the speaker holes above the TV, but it was not a real big job. There is no comparison in the ease of use and quality of sound. If I can help further let me know.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #11
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We have your unit in a 2003 as you can see by our signature. Ours has two very long screws in the top of the TV that you only can access by the cabinet above and there is not enough room for a screw driver of much length and it requires those blasted square bits. We were able to get those out with a ratchet type bendable screwdriver and a square bit.

On the bottom of the TV were two pretty ugly metal L brackets. The screws were easy to remove from those and we do have the fireplace too.

We had to remove the TV to hook up the DVD/Home theater we installed and because of the TV used during that time of the Model year we had to run the cable from the Theater system to the front of the TV because of the back did not have any inputs of any kind. This doesn't look very good but that's what we had to do. The most maddening thing was how difficult it was to actually get the TV out of the opening and we messed up the paper coated wood look trim getting it back in. It's so tight that we only replaced the screws either in the top or the bottom, can't remember for the life of me which ones it was.

For the bottom screws or the top ones for that matter if you can't find the heads of them you might try one of those mini hack saws that have the blade extending like a knife and just cut them?

Good luck on whatever you do and let us know how it works out and what you do?

Oh yea, one more thing, we were able to hook up the VCR with the coax cables that came into the top cabinets of the entertainment center from the back of that cabinet.
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:10 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patty, next time you're in Walmart, check out the tools section. Some of those inexpensive tool kits have the square drive bits in them. My folks got us one of these inexpensive kits when we got our first fifthwheel.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:23 AM   #13
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I found the square bits in various sizes available at Ace Hardware in packs of two. I'm carrying sizes #1-#3. I believe they were less than $2 per package.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote