Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
werobinson

M.O.C. #7535
Montana 2980RL decal problems

We bought a new 2005 Montana 2980RL and took delivery 1 1/2 years ago. This spring, we found the Montana decals on the front had pealed off and look really bad. There are several places on the sides that also have cracked decals and areas of shrinking decals. We contacted our dealer and they would only cover the decals themselves, no labor to remove or reapply the new decals. Has anyone else had this problem with their rig and is there anything else I can do to get the factory to help me with the huge expense to remove and replace the entire trailers decals. Has anyone else done this before and can anyone tell me if it's a job that can be done without special training? Has anyone else had this problem with a 2005 5th wheel? Does anyone know if there is anyone at the factory I can call to inquire on help with this problem?

We do a lot of traveling, and I always get people commenting on how BAD the trailer looks with the pealing decals.

I will email anyone who wants to see how bad the decals look, just let me know.

We did not use any cleaners on the decals and we park the trailer inside a shop during our winters, here in Washington State.

Thank you.
WE Robinson
2980RL

werobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Despite tender loving care, I also had your problem and was lucky enough to get a free set of decals out of warranty from Keystone with the labor on my dime. It seems to be an industry wide problem not Keystone specific. I was quoted $1500 to remove and replace ... we went the self install route after which I can see where they got their figure! Ha! It can be done by the novice, but "Boy Howdy" does it take time removing the decals even in you have a commercial heat gun. Some peel right off ... some come off dime size piece by dime size piece. It took us about 3 good afternoons of heating and pulling to get them all off. Go to a decal website and read up on decal placement. It enlightens you on the task ahead. Surface prep is very important. Buy a wax remover and thoroughly clean a given area. Mix a spray bottle with water and about 3 drops of dishwater soap. This gives you the ability to position each decal before it begins to set. Most every piece is better applied 1/2 at a time meaning remove the backing from 1/2 the decal ... squeege out and then do the same to the other half. There will be a few small bubbles no matter how expert you become ... a sharp needle poke followed by working the air to that poke eliminates the unsightly boo boo. Within a couple of days, you'll never see the prick point. It took another 3 afternoons to complete the install. Ours turned out quite well and I've received a few compliments on the graphic job. Right or wrong, I'll stay away from Gel Gloss this time and go with 303 Protectant for shine and durability ... I hope
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
We have an 05 2955 and the decals are curling and coming off. In the forum on "Montana's Technical Help, Problem and Problem solving" there is a ton of folks having the same problem with 04 and 05's. Supposedly, they had a bad batch of decals from their supplier. We've been in touch with Montana and they've offered to furnish new decals but won't spring for any installation costs. If enough of us get together they might come off that.
Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:55 AM   #4
Leo

M.O.C. #7902
We too purchased a new 2005 2980RL and had the decals on the front peel up about 1/2 inch (so far), and have shrinkage and buckling on both sides of the RV.
Montana/Keystone has offered new decals in "...good faith..." even though my warranty has expired.
I told them that was not an acceptable reso;ution and asked to whom the issue could be elevated for resolution.
I received my 3rd email stating that the pictures I had sent them were reviewed by management and that the offer still stands.
I'll not replace the decals at my own expense and feel that my options are boiling down to creating a website and displaying the pics and have a bunch of my friends access it so it gets a high count in Google - which will stay until I remove the web site (don't want to do this as I love the camper's inside !), park my camper - and a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood stating "CHECK MONTANA'S QUALITY" at the entrance to the next camping show in my area or contact my attorney for resolution.
I REALLY wish Montana would step up and resolve this manufacturing defect issue - which is technically OUTSIDE the constraints of the warranty.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am going to check with my extended warranty company and see if that is a covered item. 1500.00 to remove and replace sounds really high.Think we can remove them ourselves...Ours are still in good shape.. Had a guy here in town with a really high dollar MH who had a graphic painted on the back that said.....A Lemon by xxxxxxx.He drove it all over the country. After about a year the graphic disappeared so I had to stop and ask him why. He said the manufacturer who would not help decided to give him a really good deal on a new HM....Wonder why???? (the problem was really bad leaks)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You all might want to re-think your position about your graphics. Most manufactures will not even talk with you after the warranty period. Keystone is about the only company I have ever been associated with that takes care of their customers after the warranty period. I think that if they offer the graphics at no charge in a "good faith" effort that they have shown that they want to make the customer happy. They can not control the environment that the 5th wheel is in, the amount of sun that hits the unit, the type of wax we put on it or not put on it, whether we pressure wash it or never wash it at all, so replacement graphics would be fine with me and I would have a sign guy come and install them at my cost.

I just finished removing the graphics off the front cap and it is a job but can be done by someone that has some patience. Installing them is for someone that has more patience than me so that is why I will hire a sign guy to do that part of the job. I would feel fortunate if Keystone will send me the replacement graphics, but if they choose not to, I will go online and find a mural to put on the naked front.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know if this means anything but as we said our graphics except for normal wear and tear are in very good shape after 18 months and many miles. As we have also stated many times we do not and have never waxed a Rv. We use dawn dishwash soap and we will use a liquid auto wash/wax on occasion. The camper is clean, looks good and the graphics are not peeling????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If my memory serves (always questionable )

there was a period of time, bout mid 2004 model to maybe early 2006 (not sure on that time frame end date)

when Keystone switched decal providers. Those in that time frame sure seem to be having the most trouble. Believe that Keystone switched providers again, and time will tell, but seems we have heard little decal curling after the second switch of providers was made.

Our very early 2004 model does not show curly decals (YET! and that is my disclaimer)

I think Glenn did some research on this, maybe he can refresh our minds??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
My decals are shrinking a little bit. You can see the glue around the edges. I was told that a little glue remover and work and the glue will be gone and they will look fine. I have a question is why just the nose of the unit and not the sides? They are all the same decals and I assume made by the same company. If mine start to peel it will be a decision whether to replace the decals or put a mural on the front. If Keystone will send me new ones free,can't complain about that.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We are the second owners of our 03 Mountaineer and the decals are still in pretty good shape. In a few years when we buy a new trailer it will not come with any decals or no deal. A body shop can paint some graphics on that will last as long as the trailer.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote