Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
Montana_6189

M.O.C. #6189
Help Please: Refrigerator Problems

Hello everyone. I am having problems with my refrigerator. Initially it was working fine and I let the battery run down, I suppose becasue of a faulty converter. Nonetheless, I purchased 2 new batteries, one for a spare and a new charger. I replaced the battery with a fully charged one and went in and the check light on the panel was on. I pushed the power button and the check light went off but the power light did not come on. I have not been able to get power back since. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I purchased my monty used. It is a 2000 model 3255RL and I have only had it for 4 weeks but I love it!

Montana_6189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Not sure about yours exactly but our '04 you have to have it on auto mode to see any lights if you have selected gas only it doesn't light up anything. Is there lights inside the refrigerator?

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
Montana_6189

M.O.C. #6189
Thanks for the reply. Yes there are lights but they are not coming on either. I do have it on auto also.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Sounds like you are not getting power to the unit. May want to check the fuses and make sure they are all OK. I'm not sure but there may be a plug from the outside of the unit that is plugged into a ground fault outlet that may have tripped as well.

P>S> Welcome to the forum!
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Montana_6189

M.O.C. #6189
Thanks again. I will check the fuses this afternoon. I checked the outside plug and it is ok. It must be a fuse.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I agree. Check the DC fuses in the converter. Should be a whole row of DC fuses.

On mine I have two buttons

On/Off Button (Always push in)
Auto--Check--Gas button ( I always push in)

When working properly on Shore power the Auto Light should come on and the fridge will very slowly get cold. Allow 2-4 hours before you check for coldness. Remember it does not have a compressor. I normally turn mine on a day before loading the fridge.

When you go to disconnect shore power, switch over to gas is automatic(button pushed in) If all is well the auto Light will stay on and the check light will remain out after 5 minutes or so. If the Check light comes on something is wrong. Turn off and back on. Repeat until the check light is out.

Initially, the only way you know the fridge is working is the Auto light is on and the check light is off because of the very slow startup.

My on/Off lights have never worked. Just keep that switch pushed in.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #7
Montana_6189

M.O.C. #6189
Thank you. When I switch to propane, is there anything else I need to do other than ensuring I have propane in my tanks. Is there a switch or anything?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
You have to have DC power supplied from the inverter from batteries to operate control panel and you just disconnect shore power and make sure the Auto is Lit and Check is Not Lit. (Both Buttons in) Thats it if everything works right.

With Shore power off:
There is a striker board in the fridge to light the gas. If the propane fails to light the check light comes on and the striker board quits striking. When I haven't had my fridge on in a long time it may take several trys. Sometimes I have to turn on the stove burner to make sure there is gas flow. Then once I am on the road everything is Automatic.

When you stop to camp just plug in the shore power. Nothing else to do.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Montana_6189

M.O.C. #6189
Thank you sir. I appreciate your help as I am sure all newbies to rv'ing world do.

Aubrey Brisendine
Old 08-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
n/a, if you have the Auto button turned on then when you disconnect from shore power the fridge will automatically attempt to switch to gas. If for any reason it cannot ignite the gas burner the Check light will come on. If I recall, the manual says it will try for 45 seconds. Once the Check light comes on it will stay on and the fridge will not run on gas until you turn the fridge off and back on to clear the light. Per the manual, anyhow.

Once it is running on gas with the Auto switch on, when you plug in to shore power again it will auto switch to electricity. You don't have to do anything other than to watch for the check light.

If you turn the Gas switch on, then it will run only on gas and will not attempt to run off electricity.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 AM   #11
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
I had the same problem in that I was gettintg no AC power to my frig.

I found that my Frig AC plug had vibrated loose from the receptacle. I had to take the outside Frig cover off, unscrew a little cover panel (must have one of those crazy screw drivers for RVs) and reach high into the wall to plug the Frig back in. Actually in my case the plug was still touching the receptacle, but not making a good connection. I pushed the plug back in and all started working again.

2005 Mountaineer 326 FKS
2002 Chevy 2500 HD SB 4X4 w Duramax/Allison Many power Adders
Forney, Texas
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:22 AM   #12
atbrisen

M.O.C. #6188
Thanks to all of you who provided suggestions and help. I found a electrical problem on the 12 volt side. I am not sure what is causing it, but I had a fuse that was blown and when I would try to replace it, with all power off, it would blow the fuse as soon as I connected the cable. I believe it is the converter because it is the 2 heavy gauge wires going to the battery. Unless any of you have other suggestions or similar experiences, I am going to have a certified tech come and look at it.

Best Regards,

Aubrey Brisendine
atbrisen is offline   Reply With Quote