Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894
Motorcycle carrier

Has anyone successfully carried a motorcycle on a carrier attached to the back of their Montana 5th wheel? If so, how did you accomplish it and what kind of carrier did you use.

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I am thinking the same thing we have a fatboy but not sure of the type of carrier or the extra weight on the back of the coach might throw the pin weight way off so if anyone has done this please tell us about the add on too We love the bike and would enjoy taking it with us
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There is an MOC member named Wes. He is a reader and not much of a poster. I met him in Florida and he has a motorcycle rack on the back of his Monty. Maybe if you Email or PM him he will enlighten you on his rack.

Click here for his profile and his Email/RP
Tell him I sent you.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Thanks for the info I sent him a e-mail now waiting for a reply will let you know what he comes up with this is a subject close to my heart lol love the bike just don't get to take it everywhere
Old 06-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Montana might just balk at service if they were to see a motorcycle carrier on the back of one of these. Their DOT certification doesn't allow for even so much as a bumper, back there. Heard that from one of the honchos at the factory during one of our tours when another member asked them.

Check page 4 of http://keystonerv.com/media/pdf/faq.pdf to see a mild response to such a question.

Q-Can I install a bike rack or hitch to the rear bumper or frame of my Keystone product?

The bumpers/frames of Keystone products were not designed to accommodate this type of accessory installation."

Some fiver brands, (and even Keystone products,) have bumpers. Some even have tow hitch receivers ready for inserting whatever you want, according to Class rating.

While you CAN do it, (physically, with a welding job,) I'm pretty sure it'd probably screw up your warranty claims if the frame had any problems.

You might want to ask a dealer, before getting the torch out. Then do what you wish with the knowledge of how it might catch up to you in the long run.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boat391

Thanks for the info I sent him a e-mail now waiting for a reply will let you know what he comes up with this is a subject close to my heart lol love the bike just don't get to take it everywhere
If you get a reply please share it. We would love to take the motorcycle with us. We used to bring it with on a homemade carrier attached to our Dutchman 5th wheel and never had any problems.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
In My Humble Opinion, not having ever put a bike on the rear of a trailer, I would think that it would mess up the pin weight, cause frame flex, twist, and just generally create problems. The frame on our Monty's is not that heavy and is of soft steel. I just added extra stabilizers in back of the wheels, and the steel was very easy to drill through for the brackets.
I rode Gold Wings for about 15 years, and they weigh 880 pounds, stock. I sure wouldn't want something like that hanging on the rear end of my trailer. A fat boy I believe wieghs in the neighborhood of 600 pounds wet. A lot of wight no matter where you go. There is also degree of moment imparted to the trailer, and the weight bouncing around back there.

Again, this is just my opinion. If you can get it to work, YES!!!!!
Motorcycles are aobut the best thing man ever invented other than aircraft.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
lsrobbins

M.O.C. #3698
I have a motorcycle carrier on the back of my monty.3500rl.
here's the website you can check it out.

http://www.carryallracks.com/index.htm
lsrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
The weight issue is a big one and I have given it alot of thought Ican brace the frame to hold a tank but it only adds weight back there the fat boy weighs in at 630 pounds with fuel and a set of bags Ieven gave thought to a hitch and a single axle trailer and am leaning that way as of now The hitch is easy to install on the back of the Monty and could hide all but the reciver but I haven't given up on a carrier yet thanks for the web sight I'll be checking it out the trailer has draw backs to takes a doubles triples endorsement witch I have but the wife does not so I would have to do all the driving I drive for a living so a day off once in a while is good and the wife is a great driver even backs the Monty into camp sights I got a keeper lol thanks for the help
Old 06-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Gentlemen,

Here is a sugestion that none of you may want to hear.

Trade the Monty in for a Raptor! With a ramp and inside storeage, it would be like driving your bike right into the garage at home.

And, oh ya', buy the wife a motorcycle too, and park both of them in there. Then, have fun and don't worry about what you may have to do to a frame to carry a motor cycle.

Of course, the only draw back is that due to the larger coach and 1800 more lbs, you might have to use a dually truck. But, that is s minor technicality.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 AM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

The concern about the Frame is a good one, but another big issue is the added axle weight.

My Royal Star weighs in at 800 lbs. If I added a carrier say 200 lbs we now have 1000 lbs. This cantileavered weight would for arguement sake take 400 lbs. off the pin. Now these weights must be added together for a tot. of 1400 lbs. This is the new weight that would be added to the axles. Question, do your axles and tires have enough margin for this added 1400 lbs.? This 1400 lbs. is a "Mass in Motion" which could put you over the top going across RR Tracks or say a curb, not that any of us would ever do that.

As you can see from our sig. we have the TT. The Bike rides in the back of the Truck. It's the only reason we don't buy the 5er.

As for the toy haulers, they just aren't as nice as the Mounty or Monty's. Even the high dollar ones.

As always, can it be done? You bet it can, but many things must be considered.

I tried to contact Wes over a year ago but was unsuccesful with a PM and e-mail.

Wishing you the best and Happy Canping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:13 AM   #12
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Just an idle thought; Was wondering if there might be the front axle capacity on your tow vehicle to allow a rack up front?? I have some doubts, however it might be worth checking.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #13
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

Over the past year or so, I have posted several pictures of my Harley "Fat Bob" (79 model @ 670#) being towed on the back of my 5vr. Most of the miles were with a 98 Cardinal. I have taken many CAT scale measurements and made many design changes along the way, and tried a number of different towing configurations - including mounting the entire MC on the back - almost 900# including the carrier structure.

I have not tried to do this with our new 3400RL. The reason is that the larger Monty's are noticably longer behind the axles. My 98 Cardinal extended 9 ft. behind the axles. The 3400RL extends more than 13 ft. behind the axles. Placing the entire MC weight out at this greater lever arm significanly increases the stresses to the frame.

My next great idea was the "swivel wheel trailer" which I purchased and used for some time (I have pictures if you wish). Basically, this design firmly attaches to the rear of the 5vr and simply becomes and "extension" of the trailer frame that is supported by a single swivel wheel. This setup reduced the rear loading from over 900# to about 350#. Unfortunately, the problem with this setup was that the rear of the trailer swung almost 3 ft into the adjacent lane when I made a right hand turn - not a good thing. I now have my swivel wheel trailer up for sale at a great price!

My latest approach is a custom designed trailer that will simply connect to the 2" receiver installed on the rear of my Monty. The tongue weight is expected to be about 175# when towing my new HD Road King. This should be well withing the loading capabilities of the Monty frame - remember the 60 gal. fresh water tank (500#) is located right at the rear of the 3400RL. If the frame can handle that, it can handle my 175# tongue weight. This set up is called "triple towing" and is legal in most, but not all, states as long as you do not exceed legal overall towing lengths.

The trailer will be customized since it has to be a little shorter than normal (to meet Texas max. length requirements) and it will actually connect to the 2" receiver that is approximately 15" under the Monty frame. It's a long story, but this design will reduce the amount of sway of the rear trailer that sometimes occurs when triple towing. I'm sure glad I have a couple of engineering buddy's helping me.

I think this design will get me where I want to go. And of course it will have a third wheel close to the tongue so I can disconnect and move it by hand if I ever have to back up - Oh well!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote