Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Extra hoses

Just checking before our big garage/estate/retirement sale over Memorial Day weekend... I know I will need to get a "white" water hose, but I have several other hoses that I am going to dump in the sale. Should I keep one (or two), and what lengths? Also, what length of white hose is everyone using? I will have a blackflush on the black tank.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
For drinking water we have a 10', 25' and 50' hose. We winter in Mexico and sometimes you are far away from the faucet, but with the combination of hoses we never come up short. Keep a 50' hose for flushing. We store a 25' hose on top of one of the propane tanks.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I have 2 25' and one 10' for freshwater. Normally only need the 25' but the extra 25' hose is for when the water connection is far away. The 10 foot hose, I keep my external filter attached to it (easier to store this way) and connect it to my 25'
I also have quick connect/disconnect on all the trailer fittings. For my black water hose I use another 25' hose which is marked with black tape. Also get a Y connection for the campgrounds water hook-up so you can leave the fresh water hooked up and still connect the black hose to clean your black tanks when dumping.

I store my hoses in with the propane tanks.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have a 50' of "white water hose" and 50' of garden hose. I use the garden hose to wash the rig, use the black tank flush and wash the truck. As far as sewer hose goes, I have 4 of them stored in two hose containers under the coach. Seems the sewer hook-up is always the farthest away.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I have 2 flat nylon hoses, (reel storage type) and one vynil 25 footer and one 10 footer and one 6 footer that I use off of a "Y" that is wrapped in stripes with black tape. This one goes to my black tank flush valve. The "Y" has on-off ball valve in it, so that when I back flush, I turn off the fresh water side and turn on the balck tank flush side. Works for me!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You certainly want/need more than one white one. A while back we had an unexpected light freeze on a wekend trip. The next morning our hose was frozen, so I needed a "spare" to use until that one thawed. We usually carry just enough fresh water for travel stops, so we didn't have enough for showers. We carry the shortest one (maybe 3 or 4 foot), a 10' and a 25'.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm thinking, then, that a 25' and a 10' white and one 25' standard one. We will be FTing, which may be a liitle different that just stocking up for the weekend. I'm thinking that we would want to keep the minimum amount in order to keep from taking up too much space.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have three white hoses, one 15' and two 25'for the drinking water. We also have a 25' green hose for the back flush and general watering and washing of the vehicle and Monty. Don't know about your dealer, but we got a white laundry basket with ours that we keep the white hoses in. It doesn't take up that much space, and we can put other "stuff" into it for storage. The green hose wraps up very small and I keep that in the bed of the truck.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
From experience we have learned to always carry an extra white water hose. They always seem to break in the middle of the night! We have two black hoses we carry for general use and the black tank flush. Different lengths. Our whites are 25'. We carry enough sewer hose to go 40' (2 20's). And buy the best on the sewer hose - they last better. There is nothing worse than a leaking black sewer hose (been there, done that). CW has a new line - they are red and have great connector. We could tell how much better they were just taking them out of the box because they are heavy. Like everything else, you will change as you go along.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You have all kinds of suggestions on lengths of hose but I found one thing being left out and that's the ID (Inside Diameter). For better volume get the 5/8" ID hose and not the 1/2" ID. If you can find 3/4" all the better. Try not to use more hose than needed and keep the hose stretched out in a straight a line as possible. A coiled hose creates greater friction loss and with the low pressures in some of these parks friction loss becomes very important.
Also save yourself some aggravation and go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy the good brass "Y" with shut offs, a 45 and 90 degree elbow and a couple individual shut offs. Stay away from the cheap plastic or thin brass junk you buy at Camping World or Wal*Mart.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glen, I had one of those good brass "Y"s at our last house - gave it away as we downsized. Had one of the cheap plastic ones on that same faucet earlier, and I don't even know why someone would bother making such a piece of junk. I hated it. Went and got me one of the good brass ones, and wondered why in the world I didn't do that a lot earlier. I will definitely pick one up.

Also, I don't think the white water hoses come in anything but 1/2", do they? I definitely will use the 5/8" standard duty hose for the other. Thanks for the tip on straightening out hoses to increase pressure. I would probably want a couple different sizes of the "white" water hose then, wouldn't I?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Definitely be prepared for connections that are far enough away to require an extra white hose. Another possibility are sewer connections that vary. When we were in Jacksonville we had to buy a new style (red) and then on the way to Alaska, it seems that we needed to buy a blue one. Now we're ready for anything. Some place required a rubber 'donut' that fit in the hole. So you can plan on that collection growing, too.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Only one small thing to add..we use our "Y" fitting on water filter, next to the RV, not at the CG water faucet . That way, takes lots less extra hose length for the black tank flush or for washing tasks around the rig. One short black hose is reserved for black tank flush use ONLY.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
PJ, could you please explain that again? Picture?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use the "Y" on the faucet at the campground. This way I can hook up my fresh water hose and 50' garden hose up at the same time. I have a small 5' hose that goes from the coach to the water filter, and the fresh water hose from the other end of the filter to the faucet. So far has worked well for me.

Dave,
Consider going to a 50' garden hose instead of a 25'. The smaller one might not reach all the way around the coach to use while washing the coach or truck. Just a thought....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Dave. Good thought. PJ mentioned a different setup with the "Y" being used at the water filter - not at the CG faucet. I can't visualize his description... PJ, are you out there?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Frankly, I got tired of carrying several lengths of hoses and having to deal with coiling and storing them. The 10' hoses are much easier to handle and they store in a small, square crate. I carry half a dozen of those and just string together however many I need. Works great.

I also have some old hoses in the front locker I use for washing the rig and for flushing the black tank. Like Glenn, I use a 'Y' adapter and can connect the second hose to the Y when needed. The Y also is nice to relieve pressure when disconnecting so I don't get sprayed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote