Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2005, 05:27 AM   #1
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
*AAA

Did you know that if you dial *AAA on your cell phone (with most cell phone carriers) you get connected immediately to the automobile club?

Last night, I got locked out of my car at the bank ATM machine. Don't ask how that happened, because I have no idea. Car was still running, christmas caroles on the radio, heater going, and 28 degrees outside where I was with no coat or scarf or gloves. A very nice gentleman, who had come to use the ATM told me that, and it worked. It only took them a half hour to come and rescue me and was an easy job for them to get into the car, but just wanted to let you all know about the number in case you didn't know. I was lucky that my cell phone was in my pants pocket.

FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:31 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Good information....things tend to work themselves out when it looks the darkest.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Thanks for the info but I hope I never have to use it.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Brrrrrrrr!!!! Glad you had a good samaritan.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Quite a few years ago one of my favorite places to go to hear/tell stories and get a cup of coffee was the local gun smith/pawn shop. I had been there a while when the owner who had just finished repairing a shotgun ask me to take the gun out and try it. Well, there was a pretty good snow storm with strong winds going on but he was a friend so why not. Being in a hurry and seeing as how the truck was already warm I didn't bother getting my jacket. I drove out of town to the first place I could find and stopped. As I got out of the truck the wind blew the door back at me and as I stopped the door with my forearm I accidently depressed the door lock. I grabbed the shotgun stepped away from the truck (the wind blowing the door closed of course) and fired the gun. Then to my horror I discover that I'm standing outside my locked, running truck in a blizzard, in my shirt sleeves, out in the country, with a very expensive shotgun in my hands. As I stood there a woman pulled up to the house about a 1/4 mile away and started to unload groceries from her car. Without thinking I walked over with the shotgun in my hands and asked to use her phone. Anywhere else she probably would have gone running and screaming into the house but she just said sure and led me to the phone. As we sat there talking while waiting for my wife to bring the keys I thanked her for her help but said she had taken quite a chance in helping a stranger with a gun. She said she thought about it as I walked up the driveway but thought that only a fool would be out in that kind of weather in shirt sleeves. We both laughed pretty hard when I said she was right.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dennis
Probably only in Idaho or the midwest could you have gotten away with that. Certainly not in Calif. Good laugh for the day.
Happy trails...............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
By the way, if you have the doors with keyless entry key pads and you can't seem to remember the code, program the code into your cell phone under "Dora" or "Cody" or any such name you can remember you may just have the cell phone in your pocket, mine will be on the front seat.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Sharon, that's a handy piece of information. Hope I can remember it
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
it's losing it's foot hold around here. most towing companies where I live don't accept it anymore. the amount AAA pays the towing service is so little it's not worth there time of day. if you call AAA you can plan to wait about 1 hr. for someone to come from another county.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyRay

it's losing it's foot hold around here. most towing companies where I live don't accept it anymore. the amount AAA pays the towing service is so little it's not worth there time of day. if you call AAA you can plan to wait about 1 hr. for someone to come from another county.
Also a problem with AAA and towing RV's to a service area. I believe they have to contract a local service to do this and it is a "out of pocket expense" until AAA reimburses you. Could be wrong on that... someone could come along and correct me. Good Sam Emergency Road Service gets rave reviews. We'll be doing that, I believe.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thank you for the info FireTruckerWife,
We have used our AAA RV coverage several times. Never any money up front. Just a signature. They have always been on site relatively quickly. We'll stay with them a while longer.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We have both. AAA for my car, maps, and books, and ERS from Good Sam for the RV and other cars. All I needed was my signature and show the card after they got it opened. I would never have had a number for Good Sam since my purse was locked in the car. So I was thankful that *AAA got right to them.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:01 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm going to add here that On-Star can unlock your car remotely for you. We had it on our Envoy and now have it on the TV. Besides this feature of course they will call for assistance for you if you are in an accident and track your vehicle if it is stolen.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:04 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sharon, AAA is a good organization. The only problem I have heard - and I heard a LOT, on different forums - was that if you need you 5ver towed somewhere, there is a problem, and it seems to be a big enough problem where RVers towing 5vers dropped AAA for emergency road service and pick up another company. Just my research... but it was enough to move my intentions to Good Sam's ERS.

*On Edit~ Again, I will reiterate that AAA is a great organization... just not set up to handle that one area directly with their own people.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:39 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Even when we broke down in Alaska, Good Sam's was there to rescue us. They would have towed the rig to the closest RV park but we were already in a park and just joy riding when the bad diesel fuel got to us so they just towed the truck to Fairbanks. And their response time was very good.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:13 AM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
On one of our breakdowns we had the truck taken into the dealer but the trailer was in a campground. That was fine at first because we thought the truck would be fixed before we had to leave. But the truck took longer than expected so we needed the trailer taken into town some 60 miles away. Ok.... AAA said they'd send a truck and trailer to carry the trailer. The problem was that we were in a forest cg. Once the trailer would be on the Lo-Boy type trailer it would be way too high to clear the branches on the trees!

Luckily we were able to contact a trailer dealer and he towed the rig out for us. In that case we did have to pay up front and get reimbursed later. If we'd let them put it on the trailer we'd had no up front cost. Even this incident was handled very well by the AAA. But several other companies sound very good too. Go with what works for you.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote