Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Brian43

M.O.C. #23673
black tank cable problem.

I have a 2019 3120RL. Have had the cable pull for black tank fail twice. Last time I was in a hurry - tech opened black tank gate and just left it open - I have a knife valve at the end of sewer line. Not the way I want to continue. Obviously the cable is part of problem - it will no move. Any suggestions as to a permanent fix. I do not wish to leave it open nor do I need techs coming to my campsite to try fixing the issue. I there a better solution than the pull cables.

Thanks Brian

Brian43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
Carried Away
Established Member

M.O.C. #20782
We have a 2017 3721RL and were having progressive issues with our drain cables (mostly the black tank valve). So late last year, we did the electric valve installs on all valves...much easier now. We did the job ourselves....bit of a challenge, but all taken care of. Bought the system through Drainmaster.
Carried Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Same thing happened to me. I replaced both the black and gray tank valves with Valterra cable valves.

better valves and much better cables.

ValterraValves:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I had the valtera valves with cables and changed them to the pull rods. Now I can pull the black and gray rods with 1 finger. The cables have to many turns unless you take them out of the convenience center and line them up straight with the valves as I did with the rods. I installed the gray rod through the driver side frame and the black rod through the passenger side frame so as to have straight pull. It's usually harder to push cables in on account of flex where as rods are straight and are just as easy to use in or out. Rods or electric are your best bet if you want many years of trouble free operation of valves. Good Luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
I had the cable problem too. Paid to have it done once, covered under warranty once. Problem would come back in a year or so. 6-foot cables they are, so it was time for the MAN to fix this sh>>>t. Did my research and put the best dump valve you could put on an RV. I have enjoyed trouble free dumping on all 3 valves. replace all 3 about 3 years ago with Valterra Bladex EZ Valve 3" Electric Waste Valve System. Best dam valve out there. Fix it once fix it right an be done with it. Now I'm happy. Reviews on this, people are going on 12 years and it works like new. Don't worry about the small stuff. All are 3inch so for the 1 1/2 inch get 2 reducers and you will be in dumping business. each valve avg. $175 + everything else.

2015 montana 3720 rl leg. with 2010 Doge Ram 2500 I6.7 fuel tank under truck 60 gal</SPAN>
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
Daniel-J

M.O.C. #25677
I had a problem like that, but I also solved it by replacing the valves with automatic ones.
Daniel-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #7
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
VALTERRA VALVES & CABLES will fix your problem. Not a huge job to do it yourself if you are a little handy. Ensure the tanks are emptied, raise the front end when dumping them to ensure they get most of the fluids out. Then pull the trailer wheels up onto some raised blocks (wood or similar) to raise it up about 6 or 8 inch's then drop the front end a bit. This will keep any left over nasty's from running out onto you as you lay on the ground changing out the valves. Hardest part of the job is getting the factory nails out of the framing that holds the choroplast. Once you have the Valterra valves installed with the new cables all will be good.... WTF Montana and others haven't just started using them instead is beyond logic as almost every darn unit has the same issues with the cheap crap valves they install.... Would have gladly paid an extra $100 to prevent having to upgrade later.........
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I replaced the OEM Valterra dump valves with their Bladex valves last fall. What I found was that the valves were not as much of the problem as is the routing of the pulls. The pulls are not the stranded stranded cables I had expected but are actually solid wires that will not easily bend around tight turns as well as the stranded version. I rerouted them includung drilling new holes in the water compartment to allow for a straighter pull. They ase easy one finger pull outs now. Then, to heep things nice and free, a quart or so of cheap vegetable oil along with a gallon or so of water befor a trip lubes the valve seals and really works well

I looked at changing over to rod pulls but that would have required bell cranks and more redesign to keep the pulls on the same side then I had time for at that time with the rest of the fall 'honey do's". I also looked at electric dump valves but the $300+ cost for the two was more then I wanted to spend.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I replaced ours with threaded rod straight pulls, which required minor reroute of plumbing lines. No problems going on three years, can open with one finger. I posted details on exactly what I did, at the time I installed. Longest rod is 18 inches.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Yep, replace both with Valterra brand. Much better than the Bristol brand from the factory!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote